Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Reasons to Avoid Bulimia / Being Bulimic

i know its bad and everything.

...who can give me real-life experiences of why i shouldnt be bulimic??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 7th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
being belimic isnt healthy
youd rather be unhealthy?!?!? what the heck?!
|

replied October 8th, 2007
Experienced User
Bulimia is a downward spiral.

Bulimia turns into an addiction.

Addictions take over your life and makes you forget who you are.

Addictions cause you to be secretive about your behavior which in turn leads to your friends and family being pushed away as you are ashamed at what you are doing.

Addiction inevitably leads to depression.

Depression can lead to suicide or feelings of emptiness and isolation.

Eating leads to purging, which leads to guilt. The guilt is often cured by self medicating with food...which leads to more purging...which leads to more eating....which leads to more purging...on and on and on and on and on...

Constantly forcing stomach acid up through your mouth causes your teeth to dissolve. It also causes your esophagus to deteriorate and burn. It can take years for these to recover.

You may want to be thin...but do you want to be a depressed, toothless, addicted....thin person?!?

Ok you asked me to be negative so i was, but thats not how I like to do things.

There are a few movies I have seen which documents the path Bulimia involves. It starts off as something as simple as wanting to lose weight and ends up as an addiction as powerful as anything.

Many people that have dealt with Bulimia say that it never ends. You never feel thin enough. You become obsessed with your self image and it is twisted by your mind making you always feel fat.

Im not a bulimic, but rather than let this post go unanswered I thought I would throw together a list of what I KNOW people have gone through. There are many resources on this and how it leads to future problems. I hope someone with personal experience chimes in so you dont think im full of it.

You can be thin and have allllll these other problems, as well as not really feeling thin... Or you can direct that desire to be thin into a healthy diet with frequent exercise and watch proudly as you took control over your body and had success.
|

User Profile
What the Hell!?
bullimia isn't the kind of thing you want! speaking from experience you often keep a steady weight or don't loose much.

after a while your stomach also seems to strt 2 reject food without you making as you will have ruined your stomach. seriously it's not nice it ruins your teeth and makes your checks all puffy.

also once you've strtd it becomes difficult to stop, an addiction strts. you'll just feel more crap afterwards and think your fat
|

I Understand..
i kno it seems like the easy way out but it is totally not worth it. you never will puke up how much you ate in the first place. the major calories are already absorbed as a large part of digestion and you can never puke up everything (although it may feel like you have). and once you start messing with your body's nautre, you will never get it back to normal...trust me. once you start, your body's metabolism will never be the same. and lastly after years of doing this myself, your gag reflex is nonexistant and it is replaced with everytime you bend over, dry heaving. if you bend over to pick something up, your body thinks it is yet again bending over a toilet getting ready to puke. you have conditioned your body to think that, therefore anytime you bend over you will either puke or dry heave right there.

is it really worth all that. coming from experience, i would rather rewind and re-do that part of my life.

just think about it.
~chelsea
|

Especially eHealthy
Bulemia is a sickness. You honestly feel sick and worthless over food. People need food to survive - yet, to a bulemic, food is the enemy. You think about it constantly. How much? Too much? Gotta get rid of it. Thoughts about food and appearance and weight are all you really begin to think of.

Your teeth can rot from vomitting. Your breath stinks. You wind up hiding yourself away from people so you can keep your secret.

Because you will be taking away nutrients your body needs, your hair can begin to fall out. Your skin will be pale with dark circles under your eyes. You won't look like a model, you'll look like someone who is unwell. You won't have any energy - and the energy you do have will be spent on your obsession with food.

Why on earth would anyone wish for this? It is in no way 'cool' or fun.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2007
Alright.

This discussion is totally inappropriate for disscussion. This can trigger people with eating disorders to engage in more harmful habits. This is only a support site.. and we do not support people in becoming bulimic. There are other ways to cut down weight. It is an extremely unhealthy discussion and can trigger a lot of people who are trying to recover.
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2007
i totally agree with rosalee. there are a number of ways to get rid of weight without purging, eg; excercise, healthy food, etc...

this is far too triggering for those ppl that hav recently stopped n might be tempted
|

User Profile
replied October 26th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Sure Neutral
This is crazy... No one wants to be bulimic Neutral really... :\
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....