Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Rash / Hives On Hands After Exercise

Hello, I started get a really bad rash/hives on my hands after exercise about a year ago. I finally went to the derm. and she gave me a prescription for Zyrtec and sent me on my way. It helps with the itching, but does not prevent the rash.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what helped them? I don't know if I am allergic to something or if it is just from overheating or what. It goes away 1-3 hours later, but is very embarassing.

Here are some pics

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper richt03
|

replied October 18th, 2007
Quick tip...A cold shower works immediately. When you rub the end of a pen across your arm does it leave a red or white mark for a while? I can't remember the name of it, but there's something that makes you super sensitive like that. I've delt with it since Jr High and I'm 23 now. Stay away from aspirin and ibuprofen etc... Aspirin will contribute even if you're not allergic. Those pics are so familiar....do you get it on the bottom of your feet? That's the worst!
|

replied November 11th, 2007
It may be eczema. I'm not that sure though since when I get eczema rashes its not so spread out everywhere. If you do have eczema though, heat can easily trigger rashes so thats maybe why you get it after exercise.
|

replied March 11th, 2008
I too have the same problem, except mine appear in my inner elbow(first for the most part), then spread after a few minutes across both of my arms, stomach, and sides. Sometimes it's mild(like in your case), other times it's severe and I can feel/see the bumps all over and they itch like hell. I've been searching all over the internet for pictures of similar cases, and your picture is the by far the closest I've come across. I've gone to my family doctor and blood tests were done. I have an allergy to house mold, but then again who doesn't. Anyways, they mainly appear when I mop at work and play drums. But, I've also woken up in the middle of the night burning up and covered with them. Also once when I was having a debate in my political science class. If anyone has any information, please let me know.
|

replied September 6th, 2012
need ur help
hey we have the same problem did u find a solution please!
|

replied January 22nd, 2009
Rash and hives
Hey I got the same problem when I work out for a while, it started about 6 yrs ago when I was 18 I used to work out a lil too much and 1 day I saw the rash all over my body and I mean everywhere, I also have asthma and I'm taking sigulair and XYZAL which seem to help out and the rashes are not as bad as before. But my problem is when I lift weight my muscles don't get too sore it's my joints that now hurt and that started after this stupid rash thing, I wanna know if anybody else experience that, like when I work on my arms the next day my elbow is hurting like crazy, not really my arm. Do you guys have the same problem too? Btw the 1 thing that trigers my allergy the most is not the heat it's actually the cold weather after a workout...
|

replied February 5th, 2009
chronic urticaria
i've got a very similar rash and symtoms, the doc said it could very well be chronic urticaria, have a look somewhere else and see what you think. There's no know cure, harmless but damn itchy, can be in your system for anything from a few weeks up to 20 years. Antihystimines reduce the itching, both hot and cold weather can trigger it, especially after showering
|

replied March 11th, 2009
Rash and hives
Forzaitaly1 - I have the same issue. I can do as much cardio or play as much squash as I like with no ill effects, but as soon as I lift weights, my muscles ache for days, and eventually I break out in a rash on my face, hands, lower back and sides.
|

yes so what do u do?
|

yes so what do u do?
|

replied April 23rd, 2009
itchy itchy rash
I get a rash after jogging. It spreads everywhere and itches like crazy. I have to rinse off as soon as possible. I think hot water showers can make it worse, but washing with luke warm water takes the itch away. Sometimes I itch for another 10 minutes once I get out of the shower - so I lather up with lotion. Good Luck!
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....