Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Baby's Head Development??

Hi

We have a little baby boy who is now just over 3 months old and is the cutest thing ever! However, we've noticed that his head is slightly mishapen. If I look at him from the front, his skull is slightly bigger on his left than his right. If you can imagine it looks slightly pushed over to one side. It is only very minor and you wouldn't really notice it unless it was pointed out. I've read stuff about laying babies on their back and the skull having a 'flat' area to this, however this is more at the front?

He had a normal un-complicated delivery with no forceps or intervention in any way. I know that the skull does get squashed during delivery but apparently the skull is supposed to go back after a couple of days/weeks.

We're taking him to the doc just be sure and from what I've read it is supposed to 'right itself' as the baby grows. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I know they have thos sort of helmet things that can correct it but I'm not sure if this is something that will fix itself.

Thanks for any advice!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
my cousins son has a odd shaped and extremely flat head, which is not due to sleeping habits because he sleeps on his stomach and he will most likely wear a helmet to correct the shape . If it really bothers you talk to you pediatrician. Good luck
|

Extremely eHealthy
A good person to talk to may be Beckster. I think her son wore a starband (?) for awhile and now it's corrected.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
your son most probably has a conditon called plagiocephaly. my son had it and had to wear a starband for 6 months.

check out this website

www.plagiocephalyuk.co.uk

this will give you detailed information.

this is my son

|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....