Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Not Sleeping - Altitude Sickness Affects Or Appendicitis?

Basic timeline of my symptoms:

Friday - departed from Iowa (1150 ft above sea level) and arrived in Denver, CO 12 hours later (5000 ft).
Saturday - departed Denver and arrived in Breckenridge (9600 ft). Unable to sleep more than an hour at a time overnight.
Sunday - normal day, lounged around lodge and took walk around town. Still unable to sleep at night.
Monday - normal morning, afternoon began experiencing abdominal discomfort in lower right quadrant. Not constant, not painful, just pressure and occasional "twinges" of discomfort. Unable to sleep at night.
Tuesday/Wednesday - same as Monday plus began feeling flushed in early evening each day, which resolved by taking a walk in the cooler air outside. Still unable to sleep. Didn't eat any solid food other than yogurt, though definitely had an appetite.
Thursday - left for home. Arrived after long day of driving/riding and got great night's sleep (only 1 hour of sleeplessness all night). Again, ate no solid food, but got calories from fruit juice.
Friday - developed headache, but flushed feeling was gone and abdominal discomfort seemed to lessen some, though still present and with occasional "twinges" in lower right abdomen, some in pelvis and flank. Had a bowl of soup and small helping of mac-n-cheese.
Saturday - took care of headache with one Advil. Abdominal symptoms seem to be evolving or lessening (can't tell which) into pressure rather than discomfort and twinges...sometimes a feeling of fullness or pulling sensation. Subway for lunch, tbd for dinner. Smile

So...what could this be? It certainly has not gotten worse...could it truly be due to altitude and I should give it another couple of days? I initially thought appendicitis, but without any pain and without progression of symptoms in any way, I wonder how much of a chance there is of that by now after 5 days?? Any ideas? I figure I should give it a week and then see the doctor if nothing changes (for the better or worse) in the meantime. Any chance that altitude "sickness" can cause these types of symptoms??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hi!
I guess you've already seen a doctor.
What did the doctor say?
Did the doctor give some explanation for your symptoms?
Did you check your blood and undergo some imaging studies?
Did you try to measure your body temperature when you were feeling flushed?
Were some spots on your lower abdomen very painful on touch?
Did you experience changed bowel movements that days?
Do you still have sleep disturbance?
|

replied December 12th, 2007
All Tested Out...
So...I did go see my doctor, who tested my blood, urine and stool and all were clean and no anemia, etc. Poked and prodded my abdomen and didn't seem to be appendicitis. Referred me to a GI doctor, who also poked a prodded and then sent me through a series of tests; abdominal and pelvic CT scan, upper GI barium x-rays and colonoscopy. All perfectly clean. No GI problems, no masses in the abdomen or pelvis, no swollen or enlarged lymph nodes...nothing.

I do still have occasional discomfort in the far lower right abdomen, but it's no longer all day, every day. Does seem to flare up under stress and on the few occasions that I overdo my caffeine consumption. GI doc seems to believe it's musculoskeletal and that since it continues to improve, I should just wait it out for a few more months and see if it resolves.

I'm scheduling a follow up with my GP after the first of the year to go over the results and see if he has any other thoughts.
|
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...