Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Kidney Conditions Forum

Kidney Stones -- How long to wait before surgery ?

Hello!

This is my second kidney stone attack. The first one was EXTREMELY painful and I am talking screaming pain, but it passed within 2 hours in the hospital but at the time I had 2 at the same time well last Tuesday the second one decided it wanted to try to come down cause I felt immense pain in my right side near my kidney (the first one came down about 2 years ago or more).

Anywho...last Tuesday around midnight my fiance took me to the hospital cause I was REALLY hurting but not as bad as the last time they took xrays and put me on meds and stuff..turns out I have a 3 mm stone that is trying to pass. He sent me home with meds and told me to drink a lot of fluids.

So here I am, it's been about 5 days since I've been in the E.R. and I've been resting and drinking lots of water..the other day I puked 7 different times well actually puking sessions each time 3 or 4 times each but then I started eating saltine crackers which helped, I haven't puked sense but off & on I've been getting THE pain in my side and groin mainly in my side.

Today I've been peeing like krazy and I feel like I have to pee everytime.

I've been drinking water like krazy but everytime I pee nothing comes out.

How long should I wait before I should have surgery? Or do you think I am doing the right thing and it should come down soon?

Thanks,
--Heather
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Kidney Stones -- How?
sweetangel2128 wrote:
Hello!

This is my second kidney stone attack. The first one was EXTREMELY painful and I am talking screaming pain, but it passed within 2 hours in the hospital but at the time I had 2 at the same time well last Tuesday the second one decided it wanted to try to come down cause I felt immense pain in my right side near my kidney (the first one came down about 2 years ago or more).

Anywho...last Tuesday around midnight my fiance took me to the hospital cause I was REALLY hurting but not as bad as the last time they took xrays and put me on meds and stuff..turns out I have a 3 mm stone that is trying to pass. He sent me home with meds and told me to drink a lot of fluids.

So here I am, it's been about 5 days since I've been in the E.R. and I've been resting and drinking lots of water..the other day I puked 7 different times well actually puking sessions each time 3 or 4 times each but then I started eating saltine crackers which helped, I haven't puked sense but off & on I've been getting THE pain in my side and groin mainly in my side.

How long should I wait before I should have surgery? Or do you think I am doing the right thing and it should come down soon?

Thanks,
--Heather

Yo, Heather....Funny your post showed up today cause I just passed a stone Friday at home. No pain though with this one. About the size of a grain of sand....I've had two other big ones before with the same symptoms you had and I had to have sound waves to break them up. Plus, I have also had a bladder stone which I had to have surgery for a couple of years ago.

I know exactly what you are going through and I would probably head back to the ER to start getting a workup so a urologist can see you. If you are not peeing, then your urethra might be blocked and that's not good.

Get your fiance to start the car and get going ASAP. Don't sit around and let the urine build up. If there's a blockage, they will at least pay attention to you and help with your pain too.
|

lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
Hello!

Thanks,
--Heather

Yo, Heather....Funny your post showed up today cause I just passed a stone Friday at home. No pain though with this one. About the size of a grain of sand....I've had two other big ones before with the same symptoms you had and I had to have sound waves to break them up. Plus, I have also had a bladder stone which I had to have surgery for a couple of years ago.

I know exactly what you are going through and I would probably head back to the ER to start getting a workup so a urologist can see you. If you are not peeing, then your urethra might be blocked and that's not good.

Get your fiance to start the car and get going ASAP. Don't sit around and let the urine build up. If there's a blockage, they will at least pay attention to you and help with your pain too.

No worries. I am peeing just fine, actually quite a bit today, I haven't had any pains today yet but I know it's there cause it feels like I have to pee constantly which was happening then when I went to the E.R. the first time. If it doesn't stop I am going to see if they can break up the stones with the waves your talking about. Is that painful? Would you recommend cranberry juice? My fiance was gonna pick some up for me.
|

User Profile
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
Hello!

Thanks,
--Heather

No worries. I am peeing just fine, actually quite a bit today, I haven't had any pains today yet but I know it's there cause it feels like I have to pee constantly which was happening then when I went to the E.R. the first time. If it doesn't stop I am going to see if they can break up the stones with the waves your talking about. Is that painful? Would you recommend cranberry juice? My fiance was gonna pick some up for me.

Yep, cranberry juice is good, as is real water. If this is your second stone, then I recommend you see a urologist and try to capture this latest one so you can let them tell you what type it is. The composition of the stones is the key to adjusting your diet so that you won't get future ones.

Yeah, the one I passed yesterday, I could also feel and I knew exactly what it was. I had been advised to cut out colas, tea, coffee and some other stuff and eat more green leafy veggies. I'm more of a meat and potatoes guy and, unfortunately, my love of cokes has led me off the path again and I am suffering the consequences. As I was peeing, I felt the little sucker coming down the chute and it felt like a boulder and then it just shot out. I didn't feel pain, just a heavy feeling somewhere in my groin prior to that.

The sonic waves are not particularly painful. No, it didn't hurt me, but I was pretty doped up at the time. I hope you don't need regular surgery to get the stone(s) out. I've never had that particular little procedure. Yikes.

May you get through the rest of this without much more pain. And I'll bet you pay attention to changing your diet, won't you?
|

lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
Hello!

Thanks,
--Heather

Yep, cranberry juice is good, as is real water. If this is your second stone, then I recommend you see a urologist and try to capture this latest one so you can let them tell you what type it is. The composition of the stones is the key to adjusting your diet so that you won't get future ones.

Yeah, the one I passed yesterday, I could also feel and I knew exactly what it was. I had been advised to cut out colas, tea, coffee and some other stuff and eat more green leafy veggies. I'm more of a meat and potatoes guy and, unfortunately, my love of cokes has led me off the path again and I am suffering the consequences. As I was peeing, I felt the little sucker coming down the chute and it felt like a boulder and then it just shot out. I didn't feel pain, just a heavy feeling somewhere in my groin prior to that.

The sonic waves are not particularly painful. No, it didn't hurt me, but I was pretty doped up at the time. I hope you don't need regular surgery to get the stone(s) out. I've never had that particular little procedure. Yikes.

May you get through the rest of this without much more pain. And I'll bet you pay attention to changing your diet, won't you?

Well, when I went to the E.R. the doctor told me to drink lots of fluids and he gave me a cup and strainer and told me to strain my pee and to save the kidney stone when it comes out so they can test it and prevent it from happening again. But nothing is coming out...grrrr...it's frustrating and depressing cause I am just so tired of the pain. He said it's small enough to pass.

I haven't had any soda since then but I did have some rasberry tea from Taco Bell because I figured it was safe. But I've decided I'm dropping the soda permenently, I've learned my lesson. haha.

I'm gonna wait a little longer to see if this comes down I am hoping it might cause I've been peeing a lot since I've gotten up today. So I'm hoping this will wash it outta my system. How big is 3mm anyway. Will I see it? Or will it be hard to see?

Yeah, I've been drinking water like mad =]

Thanks for the tips =]

--Heather
|

User Profile
Hi Again
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I started watching football and well....Anywho, soda may not be the culprit for you. That's why you have to get that stone. You know, I'm not sure how big 3mm is and whether it's easy to pass or not.

How did the ER know your stone was small enough to pass? Because you told them the size? Did they get a x-ray themselves or what? Did they give you anything for pain?

I know you're frustrated and it hurts and you just want to get it out, but hang in there. Keep drinking lots of water and cranberry juice, etc. Be sure you take that cup thingee with you when you pee. PM me if you need anything else.
|

Re: Hi Again
lonestarguy wrote:
Sorry I didn't get back to you. I started watching football and well....Anywho, soda may not be the culprit for you. That's why you have to get that stone. You know, I'm not sure how big 3mm is and whether it's easy to pass or not.

How did the ER know your stone was small enough to pass? Because you told them the size? Did they get a x-ray themselves or what? Did they give you anything for pain?

I know you're frustrated and it hurts and you just want to get it out, but hang in there. Keep drinking lots of water and cranberry juice, etc. Be sure you take that cup thingee with you when you pee. PM me if you need anything else.

They took a cat scan I think it was to find out if it was a kidney stone and told me how big it was and yes they gave me pain medication. I haven't had to take anything today, no pains whats-so-ever...the thing that doesn't make sense is when I passed my first stone, I didn't see it when I peed...is there anywhere else it could of gone? I was in the hospital when it happend I felt immense pain and then it just kinda went away and I could jump around and everything with no problem. Anyways, thanks again for your help =]
|

User Profile
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:

They took a cat scan I think it was to find out if it was a kidney stone and told me how big it was and yes they gave me pain medication. I haven't had to take anything today, no pains whats-so-ever...the thing that doesn't make sense is when I passed my first stone, I didn't see it when I peed...is there anywhere else it could of gone? I was in the hospital when it happend I felt immense pain and then it just kinda went away and I could jump around and everything with no problem. Anyways, thanks again for your help =]

Heather....As far as your first stone, you passed it, okay. If you hadn't, you'd probably still be in pain. Why you couldn't find it, I've no idea. You obviously know your girl plumbing better than I do. Maybe I misunderstood, did you have the cup and screen on the first one? If not, the chances are that it came out and you just missed it because they aren't always gigantic. A small one can cause mucho pain.

I am glad to hear that you did have a cat scan and that you haven't had any pain. Once they're out, you do feel completely great. Let's hope you don't have any more pain.
|

replied October 7th, 2007
lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:

Heather....As far as your first stone, you passed it, okay. If you hadn't, you'd probably still be in pain. Why you couldn't find it, I've no idea. You obviously know your girl plumbing better than I do. Maybe I misunderstood, did you have the cup and screen on the first one? If not, the chances are that it came out and you just missed it because they aren't always gigantic. A small one can cause mucho pain.

I am glad to hear that you did have a cat scan and that you haven't had any pain. Once they're out, you do feel completely great. Let's hope you don't have any more pain.

No, I didn't have a cup & screen for the first kidney stone because I didn't know what was wrong with me, all I knew is that I hurt like hell and I was in screaming pain and constantly puking, my mom rushed me to the E.R. room cause she was terrified it might be real serious seeing how much pain I was in...when I got there they put me on meds and took tests and found out I had a kidney stone tried to make me pee in a cup to take more tests but it took a half an hour to pee in a cup because it hurt sooo bad and it wouldn't come out. Then when they gave me meds I screamed and then started to calm down and when the doc came back in he asked how I felt and I said fine the medication worked and he told me it wasn't the meds, the stone just passed.
|

User Profile
replied October 12th, 2007
Just Checking
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:

No, I didn't have a cup & screen for the first kidney stone because I didn't know what was wrong with me, all I knew is that I hurt like hell and I was in screaming pain and constantly puking, my mom rushed me to the E.R. room cause she was terrified it might be real serious seeing how much pain I was in...when I got there they put me on meds and took tests and found out I had a kidney stone tried to make me pee in a cup to take more tests but it took a half an hour to pee in a cup because it hurt sooo bad and it wouldn't come out. Then when they gave me meds I screamed and then started to calm down and when the doc came back in he asked how I felt and I said fine the medication worked and he told me it wasn't the meds, the stone just passed.

Heather....Just checking to see how things are going. Did you pass and collect the stone yet? I hope you are not in pain anymore. Let me know.

LSG
|

Re: Just Checking
lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:
sweetangel2128 wrote:
lonestarguy wrote:

Heather....Just checking to see how things are going. Did you pass and collect the stone yet? I hope you are not in pain anymore. Let me know.

LSG

I'm okay. My side hasn't hurt in 2 days this is the 3rd day now. I've had the constant urge to pee a lot though had a hard time sleeping last night because of it. No I haven't passed the stone yet. I've been trying to eat a lot and drink lots of water and cranberry juice though.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*godmother
Hi Heather, my heart goes out to you sweetie, my husband passes a stone at least once twice a year. He swears that drinking beer makes his come out faster than h2o or cranberry juice. (Good Excuse anyway!)I do know the cranberry juice is best for urinary tract infections, had no idea they benefited kidney stones. I have collected a small bottle of stones my husband has passed. I tease him and tell him one day I'm gonna make a bracelet or necklace with them. I do hope you will pass this soon and get to feeling so much better! HUGS!
|

User Profile
Good to Hear
Glad you're not hurting on your side. Maybe the stone has made it into your bladder and is waiting for a good time to make its escape!!haha

If you have any more pain, I would check into the sonic treatment. Good luck.
|

Re: Hi Sweetie! Me Fairy*godmother
Fairy*Godmother wrote:
Hi Heather, my heart goes out to you sweetie, my husband passes a stone at least once twice a year. He swears that drinking beer makes his come out faster than h2o or cranberry juice. (Good Excuse anyway!)I do know the cranberry juice is best for urinary tract infections, had no idea they benefited kidney stones. I have collected a small bottle of stones my husband has passed. I tease him and tell him one day I'm gonna make a bracelet or necklace with them. I do hope you will pass this soon and get to feeling so much better! HUGS!

Well, I read on a site that beer & cranberry juice are actually not really good for kidney stones. But I was told to just drink lots of liquids in general. Were going to Eugene (almost 2 hours out of town) on Monday so I am hoping I'll be fine and Tuesday I start my new job =] Thanks for the love. Sorry to hear about your husband though...I know how painful it can be.
|

Re: Good to Hear
lonestarguy wrote:
Glad you're not hurting on your side. Maybe the stone has made it into your bladder and is waiting for a good time to make its escape!!haha

If you have any more pain, I would check into the sonic treatment. Good luck.

I was going to go see a Urologist and see if they can do the sonic wave treatment but they said it would be several thousand dollars for the precedure and I don't have insurance so I just have to be patient and let it pass. Hopefully, since I've been taking Aloe Vera and lots of water it will pass smoothly.
|

User Profile
I'm Glad
Hope your trip goes well and the new job. Hopefully, your job has insurance that will cover you for any procedures on the horizon. Sorry, you're in the position of not being able to get something that would help you. You know we all wish you the best.
|
Must Read
The kidneys filter blood and regulate body flood. What happens during kidney failure? And what types of kidney failure do doctors diagnose?...
There are three main condition which cause renal (kidney) failure. Learn what causes kidney failure and what factors increase your risk of kidney problems....
What are the signs of acute or chronic kidney failure? Which ones are more serious than others? And when should you ask a doctor or go to the ER for help?...