Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Dating a Smoker, But Allergic to Smoke/tobacco

I have been dating this guy for bit now, but I'm having some major problems. I am very allergic to tobacco and the smoke, and he's a smoker Sad He's a great guy, and he's very very considerate of my allergies..but when we kiss and such, my throat is soar the next day and I feel like getting over an allergic reaction.

Sad

I really like this guy, and while we did just start dating, I would like to have a relationship with him. Like I said, he's very considerate of my allergies, but it still bothers me. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I take those allergy pills every day (24 hour ones), but it doesn't really help with this. I have been thinking about the allergy shots people get (not just for him, I have other allergies too), are there any other suggestions y'all have to help out?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
What other allergies do you have? Seasonal? Or are you prone to allergic reactions?
|

replied October 7th, 2007
I'm allergic to a lot of things: tobacco, THC, wool, brazil and macademia nuts, cats, dust, ragweed. I have seasonal allergies too. Seasonal allergies make me feel like I have a cold most times. The other things vary. The nuts are very very dangerous to me, wool makes me break out, cats/dust/ragweed makes me sneeze and my eyes water, and tobacco smoke make my eyes water, cough, and my throat hurt. Actual tobacco (my father worked at a cigarette company) makes me sneeze and I break out when I touch it.

I used to have asthma attacks when I was younger around smokers, but that stopped many years ago. Now my throat gets sore when I'm around smoky places and I cough a lot. If i spend an evening in a smoky bar, I am almost always ill the next day (fatigued, sore throat, and coughing)
|

replied May 18th, 2009
you should tell him to quit smoking. smoking also harms the non-smokers like you. you should motivate him to quit. support World No Tobacco Day.
On may 31st, we celebrate World No Tobacco Day which has been declared by the World Health Organization. To engage and educate the public about the issues, a free ebook is being given away.Support World No Tobacco Day today!
|

replied September 10th, 2010
answer to tobacco smoke
I am allergic to tobacco smoke, wood smoke, ragweed and pollens. If you read the articles, people that react to pollens will react more severely in combination with tobacco smoke. I have experienced this for 20 years to the point of anaphylactic reactions.I truly would date someone else. Trying to change someone who smokes will not work. I can not enter my relatives homes who smoke--results in an ER visit. Eliminate as much tobacco exposure as you can. Because..... my severe reactions started out with what you are describing as a sore throat and later became a swelling throat to the point of not being able to breathe.I learned the hard way that I needed to avoid the tobacco environments. FYI, but it's still your choice. I am a nurse of 40 years...Hope this helps. If anyone has any other remedies to wood smoke or tobacco smoke than avoidance, I would be interested.
|
Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....