I am completely fed up. The only things on this earth that do not give me gas are carrots and water. I joke about it with my friends, but it is embarrassing. It always smells horrible, and my gut is always distended and uncomfortable causing me to have to consistently wear things with elastic waistbands. Not only that, but I poop maybe once a week at most, which makes me nervous (because I am not going!) irritated, and when I finally release it's diarrhea. (not all the time, but often)

I'm not exaggerating: this is my life every day. I eat approximately 20-30g of fiber per day, I limit my dairy consumption, and avoid refined sugars and flour. I drink 6-8 full glasses of water a day, and drink maybe 6 cups of coffee a week. None of these things that I have read will help, have done anything.

Help! If I saw a doctor, what are they likely to do/say? Is there any end to this with drug therapy or some other feasible avenue? I just want to eat and live normally like everyone else. Embarassed
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 10th, 2008
Hi,

I had the exact same problem. I hadn't had a bowel movement for nearly a week and my stomach was killing me. I went to the doc and not only did he prescribe me Amitiza (for chronic constipation), but told me to take Miralax for seven days. I took a capfull of Miralax in the morning for seven days and everything is moving great now. I also drink TONS of water (definitely more than I should in one day).
I hadn't started having problems with this until last year, and this is the only thing that has effectively helped me, so I hope this helps you too!
|

replied April 6th, 2008
Enulose
I found out from colonoscopy that I had a twisted and "redundant colon" which means it is longer than normal and loops upon itself. My doctor gave me prescription Enulose (Lactulose) which is a synthesized form of the sugars Fructose and Galactose which draws water into the colon thereby softening the stool. Now I have a normal bowel movement everyday, no cramping, no urgency, etc.
|

replied August 7th, 2009
I think you better start exercise heavily daily and some yoga. It is really helpful in constipation.
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....