Medical Questions > Nutrition > Nutrition Forum

Is It Normal to Throw Or Cough Up Blood? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Do you think its pneumonia?
yes
no
60%  60%  [ 3 ]
40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5
User Profile
Im a 13 year old girl & it happened to be that I have all the symptoms of pneumonia, yesterday I coughed so hard blood came out, I have very bad migraines, I used to be in track & able to run without feeling so tired & I had to quit because I nearly fainted after running only 2 laps! My mother thinks it’s because I don't eat well but I do. Anyways what could it be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
This Is Serious
Coughing up blood seriously isn't good. If you're a regular track athlete and you almost fainted from running 2 laps (800m) something is seriously wrong. I think your mother might be over-rationalizing the situation with you not eating enough as a reason. Not eating enough iron can make you dizzy, but it won't make you cough up blood. And besides, you're eating enough. I think you should see a doctor and see if you really have pneumonia, which is a serious disease if left untreated.
|

User Profile
My mom already made an appointment but she’s sticking with "it’s because I don’t eat well" which I find ridiculous. But another thing that bothers me is that I rarely get sick & when I do its bad.
|

Especially eHealthy
no its not good
at all
infact you need to go to the ER
|

User Profile
ER? I don't think I should go that far, I mean its not like I cough up blood daily it was just one time which was yesterday.
|

Especially eHealthy
girl yes you do need to go to the ER are you crazy?
you threw up blood and youre not scared about it?
|

Especially eHealthy
Well, I hate to be the voice of reason, but coughing can cause your throat to become irritated and you could cough up some blood.

The title of this is misleading since it implies you are throwing up blood, which is not normal and can indicate an ulcer.

If you have been to the doctor and diagnosed for pneumonia, why didn't you bring up these issues with him then? Being light-headed can be caused by poor nutrition, as well as being ill with a cold, the flu, or pneumonia.
|

User Profile
So there could be a chance that this is nothing serious just a case of a bad cough? & sorry about the title thing I meant to put cough up.
|

Especially eHealthy
Yes, it may very well be nothing serious at all. It might be an irritated throat from coughing.

Who do you think would know you better than your mom? Certainly not a bunch of internet strangers. Smile

Good luck at your doctor's appointment.
|

Experienced User
Eat a Gopher
Ingi is right, it could be an ulcer. However, whether its pneumonia or an ulcer, both are serious.
|

User Profile
thank you (:
all of you & i hope tomorrow goes well
ill post the results
|

Experienced User
Amanduhhbbyx3
You posted on another forum that you had family problems earlier on in life (I believe it was a forum called "psycho boyfriend" or something), if you feel you need to vent or talk to someone, feel free to pm (private message) me.
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2007
Results (:
It happened again today :/ Second time coughing up blood so they took me to the hospital. Well it happens to be its some type of infection in my throat, something like that that is causing me to get sick repidiately. But there is a chance it could be pneumonia (they have not told me the results) anyways I took some blood work & I am also waiting on those reslts but im tierd of spending the night in the hospital so bye bye (:
|

Especially eHealthy
Re: Results (:
amanduhhbbyx3 wrote:
It happened again today :/ Second time coughing up blood so they took me to the hospital. Well it happens to be its some type of infection in my throat, something like that that is causing me to get sick repidiately. But there is a chance it could be pneumonia (they have not told me the results) anyways I took some blood work & I am also waiting on those reslts but im tierd of spending the night in the hospital so bye bye (:

That sounds serious!
|

User Profile
Im taking medication & in recovery they estimate in about a week I will be fine. The only thing is I might have to have my tonsols removed due to the fact that they wouldn't want this to happen again. I'm just trying to not think about it.
|

Especially eHealthy
amanduhhbbyx3 wrote:
Im taking medication & in recovery they estimate in about a week I will be fine. The only thing is I might have to have my tonsols removed due to the fact that they wouldn't want this to happen again. I'm just trying to not think about it.

Having your tonsils out is no big deal. Smile You'll be fine.
|

Experienced User
Glad Its Not Pneumonia
I'm sure glad its not pneumonia. I've never had my tonsils removed, so I don't know if it hurts or not, but I think you'll be fine. Good luck amanduh!
|

User Profile
I'll just be eating a lot of ice cream after (:
good thing I like chocolate !
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2007
More News :/ (bad)
Now I have rectum bleeding, Im scared because one Ive seen to much blood for my lifetime & second this is not normal. I told my mom & she said its hemoroids? But that wouldn't cause me to cough really bad & coough up blood, not to mention throwing up, or can it?
|

User Profile
replied October 10th, 2007
Supporter
Re: More News :/ (bad)
amanduhhbbyx3 wrote:
Now I have rectum bleeding, Im scared because one Ive seen to much blood for my lifetime & second this is not normal. I told my mom & she said its hemoroids? But that wouldn't cause me to cough really bad & coough up blood, not to mention throwing up, or can it?

It could be that you swallowed some blood?

Your mother is right, bloody stool can be hemorrhoids but I think it could be that you swallowed some of the blood in your throat.

If you went to the hospital, there should be a list of things to come back for. I bet one of those is bloody stool. Look over that sheet and you can even call to ask someone who would know better than any of us.
|