Stan, I saw somewhere in here you listed the best hypoglycemia books but I can't find them. What are they again?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 4th, 2007
Community Volunteer
There are a few, the best are:

1. Hypoglycemia (Jeraldine Saunders): Lots of good info and case studies, but there are some mistakes in it. Previously title Hypoglycemia: The Disease Your Doctor Won't Treat. It will be cheaper to find that version online, there is little difference in the new version.

2. Hypoglycemia: A New Approach: This one has a lot of good info concerning organics and such but it is incredibly wrong when it comes to certain issues concerning what to eat and what human beings are supposed to eat. He, for example, erroneously assumes that after 10,000 years of eating grain our bodies are geared to eat it now. Sorry, can't sidetrack millions of years of development in that short of time, what you're seeing now in terms of disease due to diets high in carbohydrates is due to this, we haven't adapted yet and may never.

3. Hypoglycemia For Dummies: This one has a lot of good info too, but also a number of mistakes. Good general reference.

4. Sugar Blues: Not so much for hypoglycemia as it is for the history of why the American diet is so crappy. Great read.

5. The Do's and Don'ts of Hypoglycemia: Stay FAR AWAY from this book, it's awful and doesn't deserve to be in print. One of the WORST things you'll ever read. There is some okay info in it, but it's tailored more for complete morons and people that don't have a clue. Hardly gives any indication of how you should be eating or what you should be eating. For example, one chapter has stuff in it like "DO wear appropriate socks before working out." What? What the hell does that have to do with anything? There are even comments about doing your nails and such, it's worthless, don't get it. You're better off in most cases just posting here, but the first few books I mentioned are good to read through.
|

replied April 20th, 2008
Stan
Haha! I cracked up when I read your comments about The Do's and Don'ts of Hypoglycemia! I have that book and also have the Hypoglycemia book by Jeraldine Saunders. I agree with you that Roberta's book (The Do's and Don'ts) has a lot of useless information in it that has nothing to do with hypoglycemia. It discusses giving yourself a pedicure and trying new shades of nail polish and buying yourself a new item for your wardrobe - which has nothing to do with anything! I think what she is getting at are ways to make yourself feel better when you feel like crap. She is trying to say that health and beauty go hand in hand. But - it isn't really helpful information. However, I did think there was some useful info about the GTT test in it - and about hypoglycemia and alcoholism. I didn't realize the two were related. My brother is a recovering alcoholic, and alcoholism runs in our family, and so does hypoglycemia! Saunders book is more helpful, and I like how it includes the different types of hypoglycemia curves.
I haven't read the other books that you mentioned.
|

User Profile
replied April 20th, 2008
Community Volunteer
True, but the information she mentions has been printed in plenty of other books, and many from MUCH longer ago than hers. For example, there is a lengthy, medical discussion of this issue in a book called Body Mind Sugar. Look for it, it was written like 50 years ago. It also has a lot of info on the history of the disorder (really cool background) and curves as well. My other favorite from Dos is the one where it says something like DO check the ground in the gym for water so you don't slip. Are you serious? Do you think everyone who reads your book is freaking two years old? What does that have to do with the Dos and Donts of Hypoglycemia? NOTHING, write another book! I do agree you need to take time for yourself, but I don't think anyone needs help with that, or at least the information she provides is totally useless.
|

replied April 21st, 2008
Yeah you're right. I need to get some of the other books. When I went to our local bookstore - there were only two books on hypoglycemia - go figure! There were a ton on diabetes. I bought the only 2 they had - so I might have to go to amazon.com and order some additional books. Haha! I don't remember that part - that is pretty bad. She does have some strange things in her book that make no sense. When I was reading it.. I was thinking that the book was geared more toward women because what guy is going to paint their nails with a new color?? She states that manicures and such are things that a man can do too - but either way I thought the book was geared toward women and inappropriate at times. I also thought she filled her book with too many letters/e-mails from different individuals and didn't write enough helpful information. I agree - it is important to take time for yourself - but a hypoglycemia book shouldn't be telling you that - it should be helping you with hypoglycemia!
|
Tags: hypoglycemia
Quick Reply