Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Panic Attacks/palpitations------anxiety? Possibly Not.!

Hi I'm new to the forum and would like to start a new thread on the above.

A few years ago, I started to experience the following symptoms, palpitations where my heart beat so fast sometimes i couldn't feel it, weight loss, a prickly burning sensation which would start at my feet and rise up throughout my body until I eventually fainted, tightening around my throat until I couldn't take a breath, hence the faint.

I can't count the number of times my husband took me to the doctors and was told it was anxiety. In and out of a and e. I thought I was going mad, and kept telling them there was something wrong with me, begging them to carry out blood tests, but of course there is no blood test for ANXIETY!

One afternoon, by this time I was pretty much bedridden with the "episodes" happening every half an hour, my husband called out a locum GP as this time, I had blurred vision in my left eye, and my left arm was numb..He immediately sent me to hospital to see a neurologist. All the tests were ok but he ordered some blood tests to be carried out.

Two days later I got a call from my GP he wanted to see me urgently.
When I arrived for my appt I was told that one of the blood tests was for Thyroid Function, and it was confirmed that I had a condition called Thyrotoxicosis, my body was in effect being slowly poisoned. I was put on Thyroxine tablets immediately and over a few weeks began to feel better.

My thyroid did return to normal but I am borderline and as I suffer from depression, I now take Thyroxine with an anti-depressant, something not many GP's are aware of.

So I would urge anyone with the above symptoms to ask for a thyroid function test to be carried out, especially if you have experienced some kind of trauma such as childbirth or accident where you could have suffered shock.

Hope this is helpful.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 1st, 2007
Hi Do you still have all your symtoms. I was told I have anxiety but some how I don't believe it. My symtoms are from my butt to my feet I ache and burn so does my hands wrist and fingers. My toungue all so aches and tingles the front part of it. Ihad this since I feel in the house on my tail bone since may. Any ideas. Please get back to me so we can talk. Deer
|

replied October 2nd, 2007
Reply to Deer
Hi, no I don't have my symptoms any longer but my thyroid function fluctuates between over active and under active. Shock can be a major part of Thryroid playing up, so the incident where you fell on your tail bone could well be a factor. I do suggest you ask your GP for a simple blood test to eliminate any problem with your Thyroid though.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Yeah
yeah thyroid probs mimic fibro deer....but..it can mimic lupus...etc...etc...etc...

you really need to have everything tested! just keep getting a second opinion until you are checked...
|

Check These Out
http ://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a /couldyou.htm

http://thyroid.about.com/sitesearch.htm?te rms=fibromyalgia&SUName=thyroid&To pNode=3902&type=1
|

Hey Tinkerbelle
i have fibro, but id like to make sure i dont as well have thyroid probs, now my docs have just done blood tests on me, would that show it?...i just wanna be safe and make sure i dont have that by mistake, or that its being hidden, i am a bit unhealthy
|
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...