Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

My GF Went Off Her Bipolar Meds - Can Depression Get Worse?

I've been going out with my girlfriend for about 3 months now and everything has been great. I can say that she's the greatest person I've ever met, and we've clicked from the beginning. I really do love her..

She stopped taking her meds (lithium) a while ago, and nothing seemed different, she seemed as if she was still on her meds. I saw her friday and she seemed like her usual self, then saturday I tried calling her several times with no answer. I stopped by her house today (sunday), and talked to her for an hour or so outside a starbucks and she seemed wayy depressed when i first saw her, but after a while of talking she seemed to brighten up a bit more to her usual self..

I'm just worried if the depression could get even worse.. She does not like taking her medication claiming it inhibits her creativity (we are both musicians.. I can understand that.. i would give up anything for music...). Is there any alternative to medication that would help her, or anything I can do for her to help brighten her up?

(on another note, since she told her psychiatrist that she went off her meds, her psychiatrist is making her come in twice as often now)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
Your gf should definitely continue seeing her pdoc (psychiatrist) & see what opinion is given about her staying off of her medication. Some ppl can come off & balance their moods with diet, exercise, etc...although I don't know that this is common. My husband came off of his medicine 5 yrs ago & had a meltdown. It doesn't work for just anyone.

Also, your gf probably did brighten up around you b/c you make her happy. I never realized that depression/bipolar disorder IS affected by the people around someone with the disorder. I didn't realize that I could help my H come out of his depressed funk just by being near him. Obviously, I can't stop him from becoming sad, but I can turn it around, just by hanging out w/ him, talking & maybe even singing & dancing. With bipolar people moods are more intense & harder to change...but that doesn't mean it's impossible. My husband's sad mood brightens about 80% of the time I hang out with him. Don't expect your gf to cheer up EVERY time you waltz into the room w/ flowers, but it doesn't hurt.

BYD
|

replied October 4th, 2007
Thank you Boneyard for the reply...

I've told her to keep seeing the doc, she told me that he thinks she should stay on her meds... but she chooses not too... though as of lately we have been having more quality time together playing guitar, and discussing similar interests and life...
I've noticed that the more she gets lost in being out hanging out with me that she becomes upbeat..

Thanks for the advice, I'm doing my best to keep her as "up" as possible, and encouraging her to give her meds a second chance... Wish me luck! =)
|

replied October 4th, 2007
Um yeah. I use to take bipolar meds for 3 years until my Dr. then decided I didn't have it. Anyway to this day I still take depression meds and I know it's not only dangous to get off your meds, and it makes you really sick. did she go off because she couldnt pay for her meds or what? the correct way it to shorten it down little by little and you DO NOT stop taking them unless your doctor tells you to.
Tell her you think it's important she goes to see her doctor honey.
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2007
Experienced User
Noctam...
...hey, glad I could offer some quality advice. I wish more ppl posted here more often. I really think we can help one another. Just stay supportive b/c your gf may seriously need you in the future. It's tough being the part of a bipolar person, but the rewards are great. I wouldn't change my decision to be with my husband and this is after him going in the hospital a few times since we've been together. Our biggest challenge these days is just keeping him out of the hospital. So far, it's been over a year! Hang in there, kiddo.

BYD
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....