Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Mononucleosis: One Year Later w/ Swollen Nodes & Tired

Ok I'm 18 yr old male and I had sex with a girl in March of 2006. About a month later I became ill with flu-like symptoms ie: 101 fever extremely swollen nodes, sweats, chills, sore throat and fatigue. This cleared up within a week or so after an anti-biotic regimen and rest. I questioned the girl and she said she was tested for mono and it turns out she had it but I don't know 100% if I did. Now throughout the rest of 2006 I was tired and fatigued off and on still and the nodes on the left side my neck remained hard. I asked my doctor about them and he didn't seem too concerned. Well throughout this year I still get tired and the swelling of my nodes have not gone down although they are not painful or tender and they are not directly under my jaw (left side only). I was concerned that this is lymphoma so I went to another doc last week and he felt them, ran a CBC blood test which came back completely normal and I was prescribed an antibiotic which has helped the swelling slightly. A day later I passed kidney stones (from the anti-biotic maybe?) and had a CT scan on not only my kidneys but my brain and the side of my skull with some of my neck showing which did not appear to have a tumor. I guess my question would be, is it common for people who have mono to remain tired even over a year later and have still swollen nodes? This is freaking me out and I'm a little concerned I have cancer in my neck. Note: I take anti-seizure medicine which can cause tiredness and I just started working for UPS which is like at 5 AM. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 29th, 2007
so are there no doctors on this forum or what?
|

replied October 1st, 2007
Yes, you are discribing all the symptoms of Mononucleosis as well as a generally weak immune system.

In my opinion you need to take a serious look at your lifestyle and make some changes to your diet and exercise routines.

At age 19 (?) you shouldn't have concerns with cancer, undergoing CT scans and passing kidney stones. Typically your immune system should be strongest at these ages while your white blood cell and antibody counts are still very high.

What's your typical diet consist of and how much exercise do you get every day? Lets hear some more details about yourself...
|

replied October 1st, 2007
well, I just started working for UPS, I live with an alcoholic father and had to deal with my mother's suicide attempts a few years back and I have general anxiety from day to day. I am often stressed about my health and my future (you can even call me a hypochondriac). I've never gotten drunk, done any drugs and this sexual encounter was a one time fling. So I suppose that's more about me but the fact that these nodes on my left side are still there concerns me about having lymphoma. However, the doc who just recently examined me put me on an anti-biotic and I noticed that I have my energy back and am no longer fatigued so perhaps it might be an infection, but the three lower nodes are still hard. My CBC blood test was normal last week by the way, so lymphoma or mono? Which one do you think?
|

replied November 9th, 2007
Holy Moly!
I have a feeling your fatigue is stress related. Or atleast some of it. Sometimes stress manifests itself physically. I also experienced alot of fatigue as a teen (which can be a stressful time) and was put through a bunch of tests and nothing came up. I was just tired. Mentally and physically you have alot of developing to do in these years and teens are the worst at eating properly and looking after themselves. So just make sure you eat well and stay active and see if that makes any difference especially if you're working at a job that required you to be awake and active for long hours.
As for the swollen lymphnodes: Swollen lymphnodes can be caused by allergic responses or in response to an infection. I know my daughter developed an allergy to the cold as a side effect of mono. This can be caused because the body goes into super protect mode and creates a hypersensitivity that can show itself as an allergic or histemic reaction. It's possible that your lymphnodes are swollen because your body is on high alert mode. It seems you've been to the doctor and had some pretty serious tests run. I think it's likely that you're lymphoma free. Antibiotics will not treat mono. It's possible you may have had some other infection (including open skin infections...any cuts or sores?). I think it's a good idea to follow up with your doctor to make sure things are okay but if your driving yourself to distraction thinking about it you can hinder your own immune system.
|
Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...