Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Allergies Or Random 24 Hour Cold? (Page 1)

For the last few years, I have found myself the victim of a phenomenon I call 'allergy days'. These are occassional days when I wake up in the morning, and usually by noon i've started sneezing. By 3 i'm at my sickest-- I can't think straight, i'm sneezing almost constantly, and when i'm not my nose is leaking. Around 9 or so, i'll finally get completely congested (believe me, this is a relief following all the sneezing and the like), and I stay that way til about noon the next day.

My theory was that my problem was some kind of allergy i'd developed. The weird thing is that, no matter what the weather, or time of year, these days just pop up at random. And here's the kicker -- antihistamines do nothing to cure the symptoms. They just render even more braindead.

So I went to an allergist, did a scratch test, and he set me up with some immunotherapy. But i'm still not convinced that this is an allergy thing. Doc seemed to just take my word for it.

So i've been doing these shots for a while now, and nothing is changed. The doctor I have administering the shots seems to think my 'reactions' are strange-- I don't react to the shot at all, and i'm supposed to be 'severly allergic' to the contents of the shot. So, i'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't get another opinion on this.

If anyone can shed some light on my situation, or offer any advice, i'd certianly love to hear it.

Thanks
stacey
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper QDH
|

replied April 24th, 2004
Trust your gut. A second opinion can make all the difference!
|

replied March 14th, 2012
I THINK I CAN HELP. I have the exact symptoms seemingly randomly. BUT, I noticed several years back it would strike after eating at McDonalds or Burger King. So I think it's a meat allergy. The food is passed out of your system in 24 hrs., hence it lasts for a day. I'm in the middle of one right now and yesterday I ate at a Mexican restaurant. I had a Burrito Supreme and a beef taco. I hope this helps.

Read more: Allergies Forum - Allergies Or Random 24 Hour Cold? page 2 http://ehealthforum.com/health/topic10933_ 20.html#ixzz1p96TPojJ
|

replied September 30th, 2004
Sounds like an air quality problem in the home or work... and discribe living environment!
Basement? Crawl space? Where is hvac system located?

--ric--
|

replied August 18th, 2008
not the only one!
Hi
wow I thought I was the only one who suffered from this, I get the exact same thing! For some reason on some day or another I wake up and start sneezing for no apparent reason, sometimes my eyes will sting - rubbing them usually aggravates the problem. By the afternoon, I am almost incapacitated, I have trouble concentrating my nose is a running faucet and there is nothing I can do to stop it but shove tissue up my already sore nose. I call them allergy days too, simply because I have no idea what else to call them.
There are a couple of things I have found that seem to relieve the symptoms, Visine allergy formula - if I wake up and have that feeling like it's going to be one of those days, I put a couple of drops in my eyes. If I can catch it before I start sneezing this usually helps, but it doesn't always work. One thing that does work oddly enough is Gravol, it specifically needs to be the smallest pill form of Gravol (anything else doesn't have the right concentration). It's the side affect of gravol that you want - it causes dry mouth, which also dries out the rest of your nasal cavity, you may still feel congested but you won't be a runny faucet and the sneezing will subside. I took one once because the constant sneezing/sniffling was making me ill and I noticed my symptoms got better, so I tried it again when another attack ensued and it worked again. The next time I go to my Dr. I'm going to ask about this.
I am also convinced that this is not due to an actual allergy.
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
OMG I have the same problem too. I am from the caribbean and moved to Buffalo, NY. Since then I have been experiencing the same problem. If I wake up and sneeze, I know that is going to be a hell of a day. It last exactly until the next day in the morning. Allergy pills don't do anything. I really don't know what else to do. But at least I know am not the only one.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
I'd totally forgotten I'd posted this, but stumbled across it today. I'm so glad I'm not the only one out there with this problem! I still have those days (had one yesterday, thus the googling), and am still looking for a solution.
|

replied November 16th, 2009
I have to say, I read this story in amazement as it basically described to a "T" my situation. I haven't heard of anyone else who has these days until now. It's so bizarre. I have the EXACT SAME THING. I just an "allergy attack" (which is what I've come to call them) on Saturday, November 14th. I'll wake up feeling stuffy or with a slightly sore throat. This is how I can tell I'm going to have one of those days. And yeah, it gets progressively worse throughout the day with constant sneezing and a runny nose. I mean I can go through 2 or 3 tissue boxes within a few hours. And it gets the worst usually around 5 or 6 o'clock in the afternoon, but persists throughout the night. I become SO irritable, because for me, it's like experiencing the WORST head-cold I've ever had. First my nose won't stop running, so I take something for that, which of course leaves me congested. It basically completely ruins the day for me. And then, almost like magic, I wake up the next morning as if NOTHING was wrong. It always has happened that way for me. It's always after sleeping. I wake up the next morning and nothing. No runny nose, no congestion, not one sneeze... NOTHING. I've taken allergy medicine, cold medicine, flu medicine - nothing works - they just change the symptoms and leave me feeling terrible. I've never really considered talking to a doctor about it because I've always figured it was just allergies and you just have to deal with them. I'll tell you though, it's good to hear other people suffer with this too.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
Me too
I'm another one, in fact I just had one of those 24 hour cold/allergy bugs. Glad they only last about a day or so, but your initial description fits me perfectly. I have no idea what triggers them, just wake up and here comes the sneezing fit. Once the sneezing starts, I know the day is shot and I'll be dragging(hungover)into the next day. Sleep is always horrible on these days, by bedtime I am so congested all I can do is toss and turn.
|

replied January 15th, 2010
24 hour cold symptoms
I can't believe I stumbled on this forum. I have had this problem too. It has been about 8 years. My pattern is exactly like the ones you describe. I don't think it is an allergy. My theory is that it is a virus that is always in your body and is activated by stress or some other factor. Sort of a deja vu cold. It sometimes has the slight sore throat at the onset. I always thought I was coming down with a horrendous head cold and then it would be gone the next day. It is a comfort to know I am not alone.
|

replied January 22nd, 2010
Allergy attack days
I thought it was only me. After having it again, ive come across this forum! Started sneezing just before lunch havnt stopped since, allergy tablets dont seem too touch it! I tryed sleeping during the day as usually the following day morning I feel fine. Weirdly I did feel alright for a few minutes then it seemed to rev back up again. I agree it could be stress related, as im currently going through a rough patch. How Id like to know what causes it?!
|

replied January 30th, 2010
Hello all, and thank you for all your stories. Indeed it is weirdly wonderful to know that I'm not alone in the world. I am printing this thread and hope to 'present' it to my doctor as evidence of my non-craziness. I'm currently pregnant, so I'm not sure there's anything that can be done at the current time, but if she can offer any hint of a diagnosis I will be sure to post about it here.

Here's hoping for an end to this silliness in the near future!

Cheers
SDowswell
|

replied April 11th, 2010
Hi all,

I have experienced 3 of these attacks in the past 3 weeks, the first one, I thought was a reaction to the flu vaccine (this is the combined flu and swine flu vaccine for Australia) that I had been given 48 hours earlier. I still feel it has something to do with the vaccine, because I have never experienced this before.

I do think it has something to do with stress or being run-down as I am a new mother surviving on a lot less sleep then what I used to have.

Can anyone else pin-point it to a time that they had a flu vaccine.
|

replied April 15th, 2010
for those of you posting, wondering how many have pets in the home....also it's not clear if most of you are stay-at-home folks or if you go to work in the morning (or somewhere else OUTSIDE of the home) and do the symptoms follow when not around the house?
|

replied May 22nd, 2010
Meeeee too!
i'm on the tail end of one of these 24hr allergy/cold things now. My symptoms are word for word of the original poster. I've done the scratch test from an allergist, used prescription and over the counter allergy meds, cold/flu meds, all natural remedies, even resorted to looking like a weirdo and walked around with one of the those N95 filter masks one day when the news said the pollen count would be high. This last bout was pretty bad and may have been an actual cold since i had some body/aches and pains...but after 24 hours past and one horrible nights sleep, its like nothing ever happened and I'm back to normal. No runny nose (more like an open fire hydrant nose_, not one sneeze....nothing. I'm stumped.
|

replied May 31st, 2010
BUT DOES ANY ON HAVE AN ANWER!!??
Mike UK (age 26)

Just like you guys are saying… I am currently having one today! Hence my googling… I’ve had them for about year now, every month or so I get one. Start off slow then builds up with sneezing, runny nose, itching watering eyes.

BUT DOES ANY ON HAVE AN ANWER!!?? Please if anyone does find out the correct term for these ‘allergy days’ please let us all know (its driving me nuts!!)

Apparently my dad told me my granddad used to go the same thing. My dad told me he would have to go run to the shop and get him a bottle of whisky. My gramps would have it in the space of about an hour or so… a few hours later he would be symptom free and then back to normal the next day.

Personally I have found that about 6 pints of Guinness sorts everything out within a few hours without fail! Shame I can’t drink it for medicinal purposes when I have an attack in work!!

… Could be down to some genetic hereditary disorder on some level??

Anyway like everyone on here I await some answers rather than questions.

Cheers

Mike
|

replied September 12th, 2010
'allergy attacks'
hi
just like everyone else, i have the same thing!
RRRRob - in answer to your question, i have no pets and yes it follows me out of the house to wherever i go!!
I have had a couple of attacks this summer and have also been very stressed so it could be down to that.......just wondering if maybe it could actually be that we all have very good immune systems and that we are starting with a virus/cold but by the next day our bodies have managed to fight it off???
what does everyone else think?

Ellen
|

replied June 9th, 2011
Hi
I live in the UK and suffer these strange 24 Hr colds, the odd thing is that I never get long lasting colds or flu which is a good thing, in fact I have not had a day off sick from work for over 9 years!
This sounds like elliebellie28 could be onto something with her good immune system theory and if that is the case, then I don't mind putting up with these days maybe 3-4 times a year, rather than spending a week with a cold!
|

replied July 24th, 2011
What causes the '24 hour cold'?
I live in Barbados and I am an asthmatic as well as being allergic to grass, pollen smoke etc. I started sneezing this morning about 9.30 and its now 5.46pm and am still sneezing.Usually, there is not trigger, but this morning I cleaned by bathroom using the same cleaner that I always use which never usually bothers me. My nose is sore from wiping as is my throat from sneezing. Its not my house, because it used to happen to me at my last address, when I lived in the UK and also at work. I know I'll get up in the morning and it'll be like it never happened. This time is a little different though because it triggered an asthma attack! This really is a strange phenomenon.
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
I live in the UK and have been experiencing the exact same symptoms for approx 4 years now and its driving me nuts! I have had a particularly bad day of it today, hence googling to try and find some answers. No answers on here but good to read all the comments. My 'attacks' appear to be getting more and more frequent - weekly now rather than monthly. It gets me so down and I literally can't function properly. If anyone has since had any joy with a diagnosis please post....
|

replied October 15th, 2011
I to am currently suffering "anAllergy day" although unusual mine did not start till this evening. I live in the uk and I am asthmatic, as a child I was allergic to everything and allergies were a daily occurance for me, because I wanted to work with dogs Iput myself in situations with them to build an immune to them (thankfully it worked). But like you all now these happen randomly I 1st thought food, cleaning products etc etc but they just come on out of the blue.... I end up with terrible headache and back ache from the constant sneezing and get really frustrated as my sneezes get louder and harder... watery eyes and a very runny nose.... I have just put up with it over the years.. so Im going to make appointment with my doctor... should I get any answers I will repost again here (glad Im not alone) thank you xx
|

replied October 17th, 2011
24 Hour Allergy Bug
Looks like a well run thread but I get these too - incidentally it started at about midday yesterday and is petering out now. I always put them down to polyps if this helps anyone? An aggravated blood vessel in the nasal cavity along with the bug. Not a doctors analysis just my own as I have had them for years myself, basically to me it's not like a cold as the sore throat isn't as potent but it feels like there is something lodged in the sinus when your breathing/blowing your nose (well my nose). After a while I usually blow out a bloody piece of fleshy/snotty tissue like a bung.

I don't know if this is normal or each time I get one I am slowly losing a piece of my anatomy but basically for me after I eject this I start to feel better quicker. Grim I know but might be worth checking what you blow out if it feels substantial as I have never gone to a doc and said is this normal or what's this?

Similar to a lot of you guys I work in an A/C office and have pets when I suffered with Asthma and Hayfever as a child. Up all night last night with a runny nose my head tilted back on my pillow basically feeling things run down the back of my throat, sneezing, blowing my nose - for some reason I also urinate more, don't know if this is just me.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
Must Read
The common cold is probably the most well known illness known to man. But did you know that it's a virus? Read to learn the basics about cold here....
How do you get a cold? And what causes the cold? Learn more about causes of the cold, and risk factors that you can avoid to prevent this illness....
You probably know many of the symptoms of a cold: sneezing, sore throat, a stuffy nose, and coughing. Do you know the difference between the flu vs. a cold?...