My uncle is in his mid 80's and has dementia/alzheimers. My aunt is till alive and takes care of him. I am very worried that he still drives. He doesn't even know me when I go to see him. He was my father's brother and was like a father to me my whole life. I am concerned about him and my aunt who rides with him. His son lives around the corner but hasn't done anything to keep him from driving. He also has a daughter that lives within 2 hrs of him. Therefore, I don't think it is any of my business but that doesn't keep me from worrying. My question is can alzheimer's patients still drive ok?

Also my husband is 60 and he is becoming extremely forgetful. He has told me that it worries him. His driving is terrible and I am a reck when I ride with him. It is a joke between the two of us but lately it isn't funny as we have almost gotten into accidents several times because he isn't paying attention. He looks everywhere but the road. He is still working and it is becoming bothersome to him at work. His mother died from the disease in her early 70s. I took care of her for 5 years before she died and I know just how hard it can be to take care of someone with this disease. Are there any other early signs I should be looking for besides the forgetfulness? It has been a while since I took care of his mother so I'm afraid I might be missing something. Any help would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Must Read
Alzheimer's disease is a brain disorder that causes dementia. But what causes Alzheimers? What signs can you look for?...
Learn the most common signs and symptoms of the onset of Alzheimer Disease. We also discuss symptoms of dementia so you can know when to seek help. ...
Doctors can help determine the cause of memory loss or symptoms associated with Alzheimers. We outline the diagnostic protocol for AD and exams that are needed....