Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Asthma Forum

Pulmonary Function Analysis..is It Asthma?

My husband recently had a pulmonary function test done. He has been in the army for 5 months and has recently begun having breathing problems. Before he went into the army his doctor told him he had stage 1 asthma, but it was never a problem & he didn't think it would affect him. During basic training, he was ok, but recently the problems have returned, so he went to a doctor. He got the results of the pft, but his doctor said he didn't know how to read it, but that he does have "obstucted airways, for whatever reason." he said he had to send him to a pulmonologist to find out the problem, but the soonest appointment he could get is 2 weeks from now. So I was wondering if you could tell me what you think after looking at his numbers from his pft.

Fvc: ref (5.32), pre meas (4.31), pre % ref (81), post meas (4.37), post % ref (82), post % chg (1)

fev1: ref (4.5Cool, pre meas (3.29), pre % ref (72), post meas (2.79), post % ref (61), post % chg (-15)

fev1/fvc: ref (85), pre meas (76), pre % ref (blank), post meas (64), post % ref (blank), post % chg (blank)

fef 25-75%: ref (5.12), pre meas (2.94), pre % ref (57), post meas (1.74), post % ref (34), post % chg (-41)

fef 50%: ref (5.93), pre meas (3.26), pre % ref (55), post meas (2.3Cool, post % ref (40), post % chg (-27)

pef: ref (9.62), pre meas (5.45), pre % ref (57), post meas (3.96), post % ref (41), post % chg (-27)

mvv: ref (187) *all other columns were blank*

i would greatly appreciate any insight you could give me on what this chart says, and how you would diagnosis his situation! Is it asthma?? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 29th, 2004
Experienced User
Is It Asthma?
Any reduction in the pulmonary function capacity, more so in your husbands case, is bronchial asthma. Homeopathic medicine has a good remedy to increase the pulmonary function capacity by treating the cause. Remedies like ars alb, amm carb and ipecac have this capacity to increase the function.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....