Medical Questions > Relationships > Pets and Animals Forum

Cat Lovers...i Need Some Help...

My cat is so fat and old that she can't clean her bum anymore and she stinks all the time. I don't know what to do with her. I bathe her and she smells okay until the next time she goes poo or pee. I can't walk around behind her wiping her butt cuz I have a new baby to take care of. We only feed her half a cup of Science Diet senior cat food a day (supposed to be low-cal cat food). That is what it tells you to feed a 9 lb. cat and she is 14 lbs. That is what the vet told us to do but it doesn't seem to be working it's just making her a pest because she cries for food all the time. It just makes me really sad, not only because she stinks up the house with her presence but because she can't sit in laps or lie on the bed or couch with us anymore. I find myself shooing her away constantly and she has nowhere to go because she has always been an indoor cat and I would never put her out now. Blah, it's just frustrating and, short of shaving her ass, I don't know what to do with her. Mad Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2007
Supporter
Re: Cat Lovers...i Need Some Help...
kaerbear wrote:
My cat is so fat and old that she can't clean her bum anymore and she stinks all the time. I don't know what to do with her. I bathe her and she smells okay until the next time she goes poo or pee. I can't walk around behind her wiping her butt cuz I have a new baby to take care of. We only feed her half a cup of Science Diet senior cat food a day (supposed to be low-cal cat food). That is what it tells you to feed a 9 lb. cat and she is 14 lbs. That is what the vet told us to do but it doesn't seem to be working it's just making her a pest because she cries for food all the time. It just makes me really sad, not only because she stinks up the house with her presence but because she can't sit in laps or lie on the bed or couch with us anymore. I find myself shooing her away constantly and she has nowhere to go because she has always been an indoor cat and I would never put her out now. Blah, it's just frustrating and, short of shaving her ass, I don't know what to do with her. Mad Confused

I guess shave her ass! lol
I had a really fat cat too, but she could always clean her bum.
Did you know that they make cat leashes???
You could try taking her on a walk and giving her some exercise....
Here in Charleston, there is a leash law for cats. They aren't allowed to be outside unless they're on a leash-just like dogs.
I don't think the problem is food, it sounds like the problem is exercise.
Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you.
|

replied September 21st, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
Laughing i don't think i know how to shave a cat's ass. Shocked
|

User Profile
Supporter
Hi
Hi there, I have 5 ^..^.'s.You have several options. One being you can take her to the vet/groomer and have her behind shaved, or do what I do. I keep two inside cats and have 3 who live outside. The inside cats have their behinds clipped with scissors. They are both maine coon with long hair. One is 16 pounds the other is 7 pounds. My male get some exercise, but he will eat 24-7 if you allow it. I feel sorry for your little girl, because she seems to be taking a back seat now. I love my cats as if they were human. In fact, I love them more than some humans....All of my cats are brushed daily and I keep a box of baby wipes next to the litter box in case one should need it. I agree with the exercise (you could buy a leash and walk with her) this and cutting back on the food would be better for her. You could also keep some disposable gloves near the litter box, then just pretend you have two babies that need to be taken care of. Good luck! Cool
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
i had friends that have a really fat dog( i know not the same as a cat but id do this to my cat) put her on a fresh vegi diet. you can cook them. the dog lost weight ---If she wont eat it she will get hungry enough and shell eat anything. i know shell be a pest about it but what do you think>
|

replied September 22nd, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
Re: Hi
Fairy*Godmother wrote:
Hi there, I have 5 ^..^.'s.You have several options. One being you can take her to the vet/groomer and have her behind shaved, or do what I do. I keep two inside cats and have 3 who live outside. The inside cats have their behinds clipped with scissors. They are both maine coon with long hair. One is 16 pounds the other is 7 pounds. My male get some exercise, but he will eat 24-7 if you allow it. I feel sorry for your little girl, because she seems to be taking a back seat now. I love my cats as if they were human. In fact, I love them more than some humans....All of my cats are brushed daily and I keep a box of baby wipes next to the litter box in case one should need it. I agree with the exercise (you could buy a leash and walk with her) this and cutting back on the food would be better for her. You could also keep some disposable gloves near the litter box, then just pretend you have two babies that need to be taken care of. Good luck! Cool

Yeah, I feel sorry for her too. She was my only baby for 9 years and we spoiled her rotten before the baby was born. This cleaning thing is a real problem because she gets bladder infections from it too. She uses her paw to clean herself and ends up just spreading stuff around. I've tried using baby wipes to clean her but I have to chase her around and use about 10 of them to get her clean. I bath her as often as I can but I'm just so busy with the baby and paranoid about spreading germs to her that I usually just end up avoiding the cat altogether. I will look into some other food options but it's about to be winter here in about a month so walking her outside won't be an option for long, plus she wouldn't know what to do with herself if she went outdoors since she has always lived in an apartment. She pees herself if you take her somewhere in a car. I'll just have to try to help her lose some weight and work on cleaning her more often. I guess life just doesn't slow down for you just because you're a new mom. Confused
|

User Profile
replied September 23rd, 2007
Supporter
Hi
It NEVER slows down girlfriend.......it jsut gets more complicated and more and more things to do! I will not feed mine Science Diet or Eukanuba....they all eat Purina Multicate Formula. The dry is better, I knwo for teth, btu occasionally I get canned for an added treat. I also like to fatten "my outside ones up for cold weather. They have a large kennel on front porch iwit an electric blanket and fleece cover! What did your vet recommend for the bladder infections?I give mine bottled water. I totally undsestand about you having her for your only "child for 9" years......after I had my daughter, I still had 2 Llhasa apsos and 3 cats............I had my hands full too. But you are special for taking such good care of Godslittle creatures! Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I have the same issue with our very old male cat who has stopped grooming himself. He is usually quite a mess - matted fur, poop matted on his bum, etc.

We are just very consciencious about it. We get him groomed, we clean the poop off his butt. We just do what we have to.

I would like to ask a hard question and I hope you aren't offended; but are you sort of looking for someone to say 'put her down' so you feel okay doing that?

Again, I apologize if I offended you, I just hear this alot (that's why we have eleven cats) and as I'm sure you know I don't like beating around the bush. Smile
|

replied September 26th, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
put her down because she stinks? that's just a dumb question. i've had her for 9 and a half years and she is still my baby. i do clean her bum i just don't have time to do it now that i have a real baby and i worry about the germs. who said anything about putting her down??? Rolling Eyes and if i was going to have her put down i'm sure the opinions on this particular forum would not be a factor in that decision.
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Kaerbear, I thought I made it clear that I did not ask to offend you and that I have heard this before. That's how I ended up with eleven cats.

There are people in the world like this. The constant referencing of "I don't know what to do with her" and the new motherhood issue is something I've heard other people say when they are looking for someone to tell them it's okay to put them down.

I'm glad to hear that you will have none of that, and I'm glad you got a little testy, too - you care, and cats need more people like that in the world.
|