Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Cervical Symptoms And Their Related Causes

User Profile
Cervical pain or neck pain has well-defined locations of pain (dermatomes) based on which vertebra or disc in the spine has been damaged. This can help you determine the cause or the nature of the symptoms you experience, even though they may see unrelated.

C2-3 (Just below the base of the skull) Nerve root affected: C3
Description: Pain is located in the back of the neck, mastoid process, or pinna of the ear. Sensory changes may include loss of sensory perception in the back of the neck, Mastoid process or pinna of the ear. Motor deficits at this level would be undetectable except by EMG study. No relfex changes are noted at this level.

C3-4 Nerve Root C4: Description: Pain located in the back of the neck, levator, scapula, or anterior chest. Sensory changes may include Back of the neck, levator, scapula and anterior chest. Motor deficits again are not detectable at this level except by EMG study. No reflex changes are noted.

C4-5 Nerve root C5: Description: Pain is located at the neck, tip of shoulder, and anterior arm. Sensory changes are noted in the deltoid region. Motor deficits are noted in the deltoid and the bicep. Reflex changes can be seen at the bicep.

C5-6 Nerve Root: C6: Description: Pain is located in the neck, shoulder, medial border of the scapula, lateral arm, dorsal forearm. Sensory changes are noted in the thumb and index finger. Motor deficits and reflex changes are noted in the Biceps.

C6-7 Nerve root: C7: Description: Pain is located at the neck, shoulder, medial border of the scapula, lateral arm, dorsal forearm. Sensory changes are noted at the index and middle finger. Motor and reflex deficits are noted in the triceps.

C7-T1 Nerve Root: C8: Description: Pain noted in neck, medial border of scapula, medial aspect of the arm and forearm. Sensory changes are noted in the ring and little fingers. Motor deficits are noted in the intrinsic muscles of the hands. No reflex changes are noted at this level.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
No replies needed. I can' t see tje keyboared letter or the I was always able to read. Not so amymore. It too me about 10 min to write this anyways . This has been part of my lufe I will cheish foever;

Hugs Gang,
CarolDiane
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...