Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Labor and Delivery Forum

Thoracic Back Pain, Still After 18 Months

I had a baby 18 months ago and had an epidural. The epidural was painful going in (a lot of pressure on the nerve) and was painful coming out, which I hear is not to be the case. I had never had an ounce of back pain before or during my pregnancy and here I am 18 months later with my doctor telling me he does not know what else to do with me. They say the epidural had nothing to do with this but it all seems pretty coincidental to me.

About the T10 area I have pain and it will radiate up my back through my shoulder blades, often causing spasms in my neck where I can't even turn and have to have it massaged out. It is a burning sensation that kind of tingles but not in good way at all. It feels heavy, kind of like pressure and the pain reminds me of a black cloud just moving up and across my back and then just stays there, you can almost feeling branching out which makes me think it is nerves. Activity definitely affects it in a negative way. It makes me irritable and I am extremely tired since this does result in my not sleeping well.

My T spine MRI showed a small bulge at T11-12 and a hemangioma at T10. My L spine MRI showed nothing. Does any of this ring a bell with anybody out there?

I deal with this on a daily basis and I just want to enjoy my son while he is young. I also have concerns about future pregnancys. This has definitely decreased my quality of life. I have no energy and have felt like I have had a congestion in my nose and throat almost constantly since I had my baby. I’m sure there isn’t a connection there but it does make one wonder when I had almost no medical issues prior to labor. I am literally turning grey at age 29 over this….if anyone can help…please do so!

Thank you for listening/reading. 
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 11th, 2009
I am sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I too suffer from extream chronic pain in my back. I can't say that I know exactly what you are going through but I am in a simalar situation. I am almost 28 years old and have been dealing with horrible chronic pain for at least 6 years now. The past 2-3 years have been the worst pain wise. I have two kids ages 5 and 2. I have to wonder if having kids made my problems with my back worse. Until recently no doctors have made much of an effort to figure out why I hurt like I do. And even now I am no closer. The first MRI said I had a hemangioma at T6 and T11 and a syrinx from T5 to T8 and scoliosis (which I have had since at least elementary school). The second MRI with contrast only talked about the scoliosis and the syrinx. From what the doctors have said so far there is no way the syrinx or scoliosis could be what is causing the pain and other problems like numbness in my arms and legs, severe headaches, and muscle spasms. I too long for days without pain so I can do everyday things like working, cleaning house, and most of all playing with our kids. If you ever just want to talk you can write me. I don't know if this helped at all but I just want you to know that you are not alone. -Mary
|

replied January 29th, 2012
Thoracic pain
Hi Thoracicpain32406 - are you still using this site? It's an old post but I'd like to chat as I have EXACTLY the same pain. 2.5 years. I would like to know if you are still suffering.
|

replied January 17th, 2013
thoracic back pain
I have very similar pain. I just did 10 chiropractic visits and they did nothing to help. Today I got an x-ray and will try PT next. What treatment have you done? My pain started around 30 weeks of pregnancy (my son was almost 10 pounds when born). While pregnant it would start hurting when I was driving, washing, dishes, etc. Now the pain is constantly there. My son is about 14 months old.
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...