I don't even know how to explain really. On Friday I fell asleep with an incense burning on my bed, stupid idea, i know. I ended up rolling over on to it and got burned pretty bad. The burn is approximately 2 cm, and on the front of my lower leg. I left it alone the first day but, as an avid wound "picker ater", the next day I pulled the blackened skin off. I then cleaned it with peroxide, applied a small amount of neosporien, and covered it with a bandage. A few hours later, after being on my feet for quite some time, I noticed that 2 inches encircling the original wound was red and swollen. I figured that this was just due to standing for so long so I put some ice on it. Monday it looked a little better, the redness and swelling had both gone down, however the pain was still there a slight bit. Monday night I noticed that the red circle started to was starting to turn a yellowish and now this morning the yellow bruise like apearance is even more apparent, however the area of the "outer circle" has decreased slightly. To me it just looks bruised but i've never experienced this from a burn before. My question is, does this sound like a normal response from a burn, or does it sound as if it could be infected? What precautions should I be taking in caring for it? I know I should see a doctor and if I continue have problems I most defentally will. I just thought I would save myself the embarrassment and trouble if it is just nothing. Thank you so much in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 18th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Burned And Bruised
LostxSoul wrote:
I don't even know how to explain really. On Friday I fell asleep with an incense burning on my bed, stupid idea, i know. I ended up rolling over on to it and got burned pretty bad. The burn is approximately 2 cm, and on the front of my lower leg. I left it alone the first day but, as an avid wound "picker ater", the next day I pulled the blackened skin off. I then cleaned it with peroxide, applied a small amount of neosporien, and covered it with a bandage. A few hours later, after being on my feet for quite some time, I noticed that 2 inches encircling the original wound was red and swollen. I figured that this was just due to standing for so long so I put some ice on it. Monday it looked a little better, the redness and swelling had both gone down, however the pain was still there a slight bit. Monday night I noticed that the red circle started to was starting to turn a yellowish and now this morning the yellow bruise like apearance is even more apparent, however the area of the "outer circle" has decreased slightly. To me it just looks bruised but i've never experienced this from a burn before. My question is, does this sound like a normal response from a burn, or does it sound as if it could be infected? What precautions should I be taking in caring for it? I know I should see a doctor and if I continue have problems I most defentally will. I just thought I would save myself the embarrassment and trouble if it is just nothing. Thank you so much in advance.

i dont think its a bruise. id see a doctor. And may be burn your incenes on a night stand--- Very Happy Sad
|

Yes, I will very carefully monitor where I put burning objects now lol
It still looks about the same, perhaps a bit less yellow. I have some antibiotics for a bladder infection that i am taking and am using a burn cream on it a few times a day. Hopefully if it is something more these will help it get better. It's just really weird though. Theres no pus or smell or streaks, looks just like a normal burn of this sort except for the yellowish circle around it. Ignore the sock mark and brown bruise :p

|

Especially eHealthy
oh you should probably see a doctor
it could be infected Sad
|

User Profile
replied September 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
what color was the incense? do you thing that it is possible that some of it got burned onto your skin? is so you will smell wonderful Razz
|

Well, i'm assuming you meant scent lol It was dragons blood and unfortunately no, it doesn't smell like it lol
I woke up this morning though and it's going away. The size of the circle has gone way down and the yellow is fading! Yay! The burn cream however makes it hurt a bit...

i suck at life lol
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
LostxSoul wrote:
Well, i'm assuming you meant scent lol It was dragons blood and unfortunately no, it doesn't smell like it lol
I woke up this morning though and it's going away. The size of the circle has gone way down and the yellow is fading! Yay! The burn cream however makes it hurt a bit...

i suck at life lol

thats good. Im glad its healing
|

replied February 15th, 2009
bruise
In response to the bruising, I’ve been using this stuff on my kids for a while that’s been working great. They both play soccer so they get cuts and bruises on their legs often, not to mention they’re just generally rough when they play. I was reffered to this stuff called bruiseMD (b r u I s e m d . c o m) by another mother at school. The ingredients are all natural and it works quickly so it’s a great bruise remedy. Hope that helps!
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It seems normal response of body to burn.
You should wash it daily with saline water.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.