Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Baby Names Forum

Baby Names: Which Russian Name Do You Like Most? (Page 1)

User Profile
Hi, my name is Olga. I'm originally from Belarus, so we speak Russian.
Now living in the USA i'm thinking about the way people respond to Russian names.
I don't know if we'll have a girl or a boy - only in 4 weeks it'll be clear Wink
So here are some variants for both a girl and a boy, please be frank and tell what you think. or give your variants.

For a boy- Boris, Ivan, Andrey.
For a girl - Marina, Alisa, Ksyusha.

thx!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 15th, 2007
Supporter
Hi
Yu are absolutely beautiful! Our family received a beautiful little girl from Russia about 9 years ago! My brother and his wife adopted her and she is the joy of our lives! They named her Taylor Olivia. For the names you have chosen I like:
Boys:Andrey and Ivan....but love the name Demetrius
Girls: can you give me more choices? We have lots of Alishas her in the states and Marina sounds like a boat dock.
|

replied September 15th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
ilike andrey and think its a GREAT name for a boy or a girl!!! thats the only one i like though Crying or Very sad
|

User Profile
replied September 16th, 2007
Re: Hi
Fairy*Godmother wrote:
Our family received a beautiful little girl from Russia about 9 years ago! My brother and his wife adopted her and she is the joy of our lives! . They named her Taylor Olivia.

I'm very glad that a girl got her parents in this life and her name is beautiful. Hope she'll be the pride of her parents' and the happiest one.
I like her name, but we've got all Grandparents speaking Russian only, so for them it would be a very unusual name Confused

Fairy*Godmother wrote:
For the names you have chosen I like:
Boys:Andrey and Ivan....but love the name Demetrius
Girls: can you give me more choices? We have lots of Alishas her in the states and Marina sounds like a boat dock.

Demetrius Smile that's the name of my husband's brother . And we also like this name, but I also got a brother - Nikolay- we don't want choose between them. Wink It's too hard Smile

So Marina - wouldn't be a good choice?

Maybe - Yekaterina (short name - Katya, Katyusha) ?
Like famous Russian Queen Yekaterina the second Wink
|

User Profile
the_girlfreind wrote:
ilike andrey and think its a GREAT name for a boy or a girl!!! thats the only one i like though Crying or Very sad

Andrey sounds good to me too. But in Belarus it's only boy's name Confused
However I like American variant of girl's name - Andreya Wink
|

Especially eHealthy
Belochka wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:

Andrey sounds good to me too. But in Belarus it's only boy's name Confused
However I like American variant of girl's name - Andreya Wink

ooh andreya is prety too

we have decided to name our daughter kristen taylor

Very Happy
|

User Profile
Supporter
i like Ivan and Andrey out of your boys names and i like Alisa the best out of your girls names. Th eonly reason i don't really like Ksyusha is that when the child is older and at school etc they would have to keep on telling people how to say/spell their name if it's not a name traditionally from their own culture
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Demetrius that's the name of my husband's brother . And we also like this name, but I also got a brother - Nikolay- we don't want choose between them. It's too hard

if you like those two names why dont you put them together in some way. like Demetrius Nikolay or what ever kind of short version of those you use in Russia.
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2007
angelinhiseyes2007 wrote:

if you like those two names why dont you put them together in some way. like Demetrius Nikolay or what ever kind of short version of those you use in Russia.

Sad we don't have middle names....we have patronimics. For example, my father's name is Victor and my name is Olga, so my full name would be - Olga Victorovna.
And my child's name would be - .... Ivanovna (for a girl) and
.... Ivanovich (for a boy)
|

User Profile
replied September 17th, 2007
Supporter
Ok
Ok then my vote goes for....boy: IVAN
And if its a girl ALEESA.....spelled like our family name LEE! Still Russain name, but spelled "American" Best of both worlds..and yes Olga, Taylor is a prodigy at everything she does! She's a sports fanatic and excelles in EVERYTHING she does. She is beautiful and we love her more than life. She will turn 9 this year and it seems we waited 3 months for her to get here at only 11 months old! She is hte pride of the family. She got a brother from here(GA) about 6 year ago, adopted from a teen Mom, but we love them both and think of them as our BLOOD family! COngrats on your little bundle! And hope you find a great name! Laughing
|

User Profile
replied September 18th, 2007
Re: Ok
Fairy*Godmother wrote:
Ok then my vote goes for....boy: IVAN
And if its a girl ALEESA.....spelled like our family name LEE! Still Russain name, but spelled "American" Best of both worlds..and yes Olga, Taylor is a prodigy at everything she does! She's a sports fanatic and excelles in EVERYTHING she does. She is beautiful and we love her more than life. She will turn 9 this year and it seems we waited 3 months for her to get here at only 11 months old! She is hte pride of the family. She got a brother from here(GA) about 6 year ago, adopted from a teen Mom, but we love them both and think of them as our BLOOD family! COngrats on your little bundle! And hope you find a great name! Laughing

thanx Wink I think I'll wait until I learn the gender Smile
|

replied September 22nd, 2007
Most Diplomatic Poster
I think Marina is a beautiful name. It makes me think of that figure skater Marina Klimova. I think Maia is a nice name too. And Katya (Yekaterina) is really pretty. I think sticking with the Russian spelling is fine. I don't think everything needs to be Americanized, but that's just me. I'm from Canada and we are proud of our multiculturalism so a name from a different culture would be normal here. As for the boys' names, I like all of them. Russian boy names are so manly sounding! Smile
|

replied September 28th, 2007
Experienced User
Hi
hi i like Ivan and Alesa
|

replied October 1st, 2007
Experienced User
I like Ivan and Katya. Other names that I like of Russian origin are : Girls- Aleksandra, Anya, Anna, Svetlana, Yelena, and Natasha. Boys- Aleksi (could be Alex for short), Nicolai (Nick/Nic for short) and Sasha for either a boy or girl. Since I'm not from Russian I'm not sure if those are traditional Russian names but I found them online and thought they sounded great.
|

replied October 2nd, 2007
Experienced User
For a girl - Marina, Alisa !!! both are great names.

The boys names you mentioned are pretty much what I associate with Russian guys hahaha. something a bit more unique would be nice.

by the way, my daughters godmother is russian ! Smile
|

replied October 3rd, 2007
I like long names for a boy i like Zachariah in russian (Zaka, Zahar, Zaharka).
Russian name for a girl i like is Alesya, resembles with Alisa... Smile
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2007
I like Andrey and Alisa... But I want the spell of Alyssa...
|

replied September 5th, 2008
Experienced User
I think Marina sounds beautiful and elegant
|

replied September 6th, 2008
For a boy-
Boris, -Personally I don't like this name.
Ivan, -I think this is the best name from your list of boys names.
Andrey. -Nice name.

For a girl -
Marina, -Beautiful name.
Alisa, -Another beautiful name, great choice.
Ksyusha. -I think this would be too hard for people to pronounce.
|

replied September 16th, 2008
Experienced User
Russian names
Here are a few suggestions!

Violetta
Larissa
Aynya...not sure of spelling. Pronounced Awwnya....pretty name!
Irena
Yuliya
Elena

Ivan
Valenteen...not sure of spelling.....this could be a unisex name!
Roman
Dimitry

I do not care for Marina or Boris
Good luck and have fun naming your baby~Gee
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...