One. Im having some cramping @ 18 weeks. No bleeding just some achy cramping. Is this normal? Two. I often find myself sleeping on my back. Why is this not safe and am I puttting my baby at risk? I cant help it and as soon as I realize im on my back I turn over. But I dont know how long ive been there. Three. I have had surgery resulting in a scar that having a c-section would leave.(had an ovary removed) will I have to have a c-section because of this??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 23rd, 2004
Experienced User
Hi nicole,

yes it is very normal to have cramping at 18 weeks. I had cramping that started about then, and everytime I got out of bed, my stomach cramped. I'm 32 weeks now, and I have started to get cramping in my calf muscles aswell. I haven't been told that sleeping on your back can cause any harm to bubby, my doctor did mention that sleeping on the back can become uncomfortable, as the baby is lying on your organs. I find that lying on my side is actually much more comfortable.

As for the removal of an ovary, I truly don't know if that would be a cause to have a c - section, that is something you would need to speak to your doctor about. I can't imagine you would need c - section because of the scar it left.

Good luck with your pregnancy.
|

replied March 23rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
You are not supposed to sleep on your back because it is bad for circulation. The baby's and yours.....And plus the baby could be lying on the sciatic nerve which could cause pain for you.
|

replied March 24th, 2004
Experienced User
Thanks for all the replies. Laughing
|

replied March 24th, 2004
Rolling Eyes don't worry about the cramp, and don't worry about sleeping on your back. If it gets uncomfortable you will naturally turn over in your sleep. You need all your energy for the pregnancy, not worrying about how you sleep! The person who last gave you advice is only fourteen, so be careful who's advice you listen to.
|

replied March 25th, 2004
Experienced User
Who is 14 ? I missed something. I been getting sciatica sometimes later at night when i'm cooking dinner, or after i've been on my feet for a while. I hope it goes away after this pregnancy, it is so painful I nearly jump out of my skin when the nerve grabs. Sad
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...