Ok, all 3 of our pets are treated with Frontline during the summer months until it's cold enough we're out of the flea season. So, Daisy had a couple adult fleas on her last month when she went in to the vet. He told me if I see any on her next month, after being treated again to give him a call. So I found another couple of fleas and called and he wants to see her. (They tried to charge me an office visit, but I told them what I thought about that. Needless to say they won't be charging me) But why is it that she is the one with the fleas? I found one on Chavo, but it was on his fur and he'd just been outside and I didn't find any others. The cat is black and has very thick, medium length fur....I didn't see any but that's no guarantee. So is it possible Daisy is immune to Frontline? I was afraid my house was infested so I freaked out and bought a whole bunch of home remedy things to ward it off. (I'm not about to bomb my house with a 5 and 18 month old) So I've done a lot of research and found ways to kill fleas with detergents and what not. I also did a few tests to see if I even have them in my house and none of these ended up with fleas. I can not find a single flea. I'm itching just thinking about it. I vacuum at least 2 times a week, more if Aidan spends more time on the floor. This just baffles me and creeps me out! What can I do?! Daisy is not infested at all, you really have to look to find a flea, but they reproduce so fast! She goes to the vet on Saturday. Crying or Very sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 12th, 2007
Experienced User
whitney has the same problem. I have to give her a bath once or twice a week or she starts biting herself and pulls her hair out. frontline did work on her but now it doesn't seem to. I can't help you erally, just wanted to let you know i'm there too and don't know what to do about it..
|

Especially eHealthy
found this hope it helps. Sad

*~*
Frontline is a preventative only. In order to kill the pre-existing fleas, you need to use a product called capstar that your vet should carry. Give capstar every other day for a few days to your pets in conjunction with a flea preventative and that should help.

Also, try using something other than Frontline since the fleas in your area have an obvious immunity to it. I like Revolution. Advantage is another option. If your vet doesn't carry it, call around until you find one that does.

ALSO, if you vacuum...buy a flea collar and throw it in the vacuum bag. It should help kill any fleas living in the rugs/floors.
*~*
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well last time he told me if it doesn't work he will have a rep in his office ASAP to deal with it. So I think he's leaning towards their product being faulty. He said it could be her just having to get used to it, and get it in her system....but if I find them again that isn't the case. Daisy didn't even have fleas when we got her. And I've never had flea problems before (besides 1 time with the cat...but that was resolved way before we got Daisy)
Fleas are hard to kill too, you can't squish 'em
|

Extremely eHealthy
The flea collar in the vacuum thing doesn't work anymore. Fleas are immune to the flea collars. I only wish they still worked.
I've heard Revolution has caused seizures in pets Confused
My parents use it on the cat.....and maybe the dog too I don't know. But they use it on someone (brother perhaps?)

On that one survey Becky posted, they asked what you would un-invent....
I take back my answer of the TV and I want to un-invent fleas. Evil or Very Mad
|

Especially eHealthy
why did my thing post twice? *shrugs*
|

Experienced User
hopefulmjz wrote:
The flea collar in the vacuum thing doesn't work anymore. Fleas are immune to the flea collars. I only wish they still worked.
I've heard Revolution has caused seizures in pets Confused
My parents use it on the cat.....and maybe the dog too I don't know. But they use it on someone (brother perhaps?)

On that one survey Becky posted, they asked what you would un-invent....
I take back my answer of the TV and I want to un-invent fleas. Evil or Very Mad
yeah, and don't ever use Heartz. that will send them into seizures also. Flea collars are not good. I put them on my old cat and all his har fell off where the collar was placed at, no exaggeration.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Quote:
yeah, and don't ever use Heartz. that will send them into seizures also. Flea collars are not good. I put them on my old cat and all his har fell off where the collar was placed at, no exaggeration.

OH MY!!! I use Hartz on my dog!!! How do you know it sends them into seizures???????????????????? That worries the hell outta me.

Also, I wanted to comment about the flea problem-- Frontline won't stop fleas from jumping on animals when they go outside. It keeps them from nesting and staying on the dog. They jump off after a while but can still infest your house. I used to work at the local animal shelter.
|

Especially eHealthy
Mandi.. i know this sounds crazy but have you considered litter training the dogs?? Its def possible.. my friend Shandy litter box trained her PIT! So i know two tiny dogs like Chavo and Daisy wouldn't be a problem. That would keep the fleas from jumping on them from outside.
|

Especially eHealthy
mandi

i just wanted to let you know what i use to treat fleas for ALL of my dogs and rescues.
frontline and flea drops arent perm. treatments and they are also poisonous at times.

there is a flea spray you can but at pets mart,petco etc
its called sergents general flea spray and works instantly. its made of oils from pepermint and corn oils and 100% organic and it wont poison the dogs either.

you can also go to any vet and get a pill for fleas...it cost about $6 each pill and kills all eggs and fleas and keeps them gone for 3 months Smile

hope this helps
if you need anymore help pm me!
|

Especially eHealthy
also

yes hartz and revolution have been poisoning dogs for years now and causing serious health problems in dogs and cats. its also HORRIBLE to use around children as well

flea collars dont work
however try washing them with dish soap...it works wonders and wont permanently keep them off but kilsl all fleas immidiately on contact...
|

replied September 13th, 2007
Experienced User
Marianne0558 wrote:
Quote:

OH MY!!! I use Hartz on my dog!!! How do you know it sends them into seizures???????????????????? That worries the hell outta me.
My vet told me *never* to use hartz on an animal. He has seen many many cases of animals come in very sick, some with seizures and on the verge of death. I told him I used the shampoo and collar but I took the collars off because my cat lost all his hair around his neck due to it. He said there is a certain chemical (not sure what its called but I'm sure if you looked it up you'd find it) in it that causes those bad reactions that animals cannot take.

there is a lot on this site: www.hartzvictims.org)
|

User Profile
Supporter
Backwerds_jibberslang wrote:

My vet told me *never* to use hartz on an animal. He has seen many many cases of animals come in very sick, some with seizures and on the verge of death. I told him I used the shampoo and collar but I took the collars off because my cat lost all his hair around his neck due to it. He said there is a certain chemical (not sure what its called but I'm sure if you looked it up you'd find it) in it that causes those bad reactions that animals cannot take.

HOLY CRAP! I threw out the rest of the pack I had. Good thing I was only using it during the Summer and my Roxy-bear is only 2 years old! That got me really scared! I love my baby-wouldn't know what to do if something I did caused her to die!!!! My poor baby lol
I'm SOOOooooooooooooooooooo glad I wandered on to this post yesterday! Thank you SO so so so much for the information!!!!!!
|

Experienced User
Marianne0558 wrote:
Backwerds_jibberslang wrote:

HOLY CRAP! I threw out the rest of the pack I had. Good thing I was only using it during the Summer and my Roxy-bear is only 2 years old! That got me really scared! I love my baby-wouldn't know what to do if something I did caused her to die!!!! My poor baby lol
I'm SOOOooooooooooooooooooo glad I wandered on to this post yesterday! Thank you SO so so so much for the information!!!!!!

no problem. I tell everyone not to use it. My cat was lucky and only lost his neck hair (which grew back slowly) but othe peoples animals arent' so lucky. I don't use anything from them now. I go to my vet and buy medicated shampoo for my dog because it keeps her skin and hair healthier. It helps if yo give your dog a bath at leat once or twice a week it help tremendousy with their scratching.

I found this:

"http://www.catsofaustralia.com/fleasgetri dof.htm
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...