User Profile
Well it's not good news liek i was hoping. i have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, apparently i've probably had it all of my life but because it's not very noticiable if you don't know about it nobody ever noticed but looking back me and mum realise that i have had it. I'm going to the doctors on friday morning to be put on meds and then soon i'll be sent off for a CT scan and various tests
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 12th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Sad

atleast you found out! and i really dont think its life threatening.

If they try to give you tegratol ask for topamax instead. tegratol has really bad side effects.
|

User Profile
Supporter
i have no idea what they're going to put me on yet but i'm going to make sure that it has as little side effects as possible and won't effect breastfeeding because to be honest i would rather breast feed Mika then go on the meds if i had the choice because i've been fine all of my life and it's not like i had the form of epilepsy that means i drop to the floor and shake
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
While I know that it sounds scary. It could be so much worse. And the fact that you haven't had any 'incidents' since the birth, is good news. And they will know what to look for in your next pregnancy.

They may just put you on observation. It will be up to the doctor and how they feel about you needing meds. It's also a personal choice. They can't make you. If you let them know that you are bf'ing there may be meds that are safe for that or they may say you can wait. It's just to early to tell.

Try not to worry until you get all your results. (I know that will be hard) But we are all here for you.

~Big Hug~
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Oh Danni! What a startling surprise! Anti-epileptics oftenmake people drowsy at first, and I am not sure about the breast feeding thing. Perhaps they would be agreeable with waiting to finish nursing prior to starting you on meds. Do they think this may have anything to do with your PPD? I think that would be entirely possible. You may want to ask your MD about that. Keep your chin up girl! At least you are doing well and your baby is growing and you have a handsome prince for a lifemate!

So sorry about your news. Hope all will be well soon.

{{{{hugs to you and your family}}}}
|

Extremely eHealthy
I believe one med is called nuerontin. I am not sure about breastfeeding while on this type of meds, but I am thinkg most likely not.

Good luck sweetie and at least it is not very bad at this point.
|

Especially eHealthy
a lot of women have good success with Topamax while breastfeeding. my friend Kelly as seizures and thats what they had her on while prego and told her it was ok to breastfeed while on it.
|

User Profile
replied September 13th, 2007
Supporter
apparently it has nothing to do with the PPD. He's almost certain i have had it all my life but obviously just needs the CT scan to confirm it, he insisted that i had to go to my DR before the scan to get meds because he's so certain. I have to check if Mika should have the MMR shot when she's older aswell now because of this
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...