Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Making My Gums Bleed (Page 1)

User Profile
Sounds sick, huh?
I've been picking at my gums for as long as I can remember. It started in childhood with my fingernails. I would scrape at and poke the corners of my gums where my teeth meet until they bled. It didn't even hurt-it felt good. Now that I am 23, the habit is even worse. I can sit here for hours picking at my teeth. They don't even bleed anymore. I use whatever is small, sharp, and pointed. From thumb tacks, knives, the prongs on a fork, straws, toothpicks, nail files, I could go on forever.
I am really worried that my teeth will eventually start to fall out because the gums are beginning to disappear. The weird thing about it is my teeth are relatively healthy other than that. I take good care of them, brush and floss them regularly, whiten them.
I started thinking today that this was definitely a psychological problem but I've never heard of anyone else having the same problem.
I've tried to use orajel too. It doesn't work. The tingling feels good, then I feel then need to poke. I put orajel on the tool and jam it into my gums. It just feels good, I don't even know how to explain it. The best way I can describe it is it feels like an itch that I HAVE to scratch.
Wish someone could help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Marianne0558
|

User Profile
replied September 11th, 2007
Supporter
I did the exact same thing when i was younger. i still like doing it now actually, i can go without doing it but sometimes when i'm in bed and can't go to sleep i lay there and pick with my fingernails
|

replied October 10th, 2007
1 of my freinds has the same problem, she just picks at her gums and sometimes makes them bleed cos it feels good.

but i think she might have stopped that now. Smile
good luck.
|

replied November 5th, 2007
Marianne0558, I have done this since I was young, My gums have receded really bad. I used to do this is school when I would get nervous. Your post is the first that I have ever been able to find on this. I quess I`m not the only one. PS. I am male and 64 years old.
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2007
Supporter
Bob, has the problem gotten any better for you over the years?
I have been doing this since I was very young and now I am 24.
|

replied November 6th, 2007
Gums
Marianne,
It has gotten a little better over the years but the urge is still there. I try not to think about it although just talking about it brings back the urge. Ha!
|

User Profile
Supporter
Yeah, I hear you! I have the urge now too. I usually find myself starting to pick up a toothpick right after I eat anything. I can feel something between my teeth, then I just keep picking and picking until they bleed. It feels good, I don't know why.
Hopefully my daughter won't learn this habit from me-she's only 1 and 1/2 though.
|

My daughter is 44 and chews on her check but thats all.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Dang, I do that too sometimes....
There's all kinds of ripples on the insides of my cheeks...
|

I do it too but it doesn`t feel as good as my gums do.
|

I don`t really think there is anything wrong with us. I am pretty successful and have a nice family. I think everyone has some kind of thing they do when they get nervous. I just wish I didn`t do gums. I guess it is something we have to live with. It could be alot worse.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Of course it could be a lot worse... I'm just worried my teeth will eventually fall out and I'll have dentures at 30.
My husband was going to get me lumineers at some point because I'm self-conscious about a front-tooth gap, but I'm scared I would ruin those too.

Of course I'd rather pick my gums than some of the other things people do out of habit, but we are causing serious damage to our teeth...
|

i don`t know if my other message was sent or not so here goes again. I never picked at my upper very much. I don`t have any gums below my corner bottom teeth and they haven`t fell out. So take heart. I picked up a habit in 1977 and started chewing snuff and that really felt good on my gums, but it ate my gums up. A dentist told me that if I didn`t quit, he would be taking my jaw off within 5 years do to cancer. I know that is gross but I want you to feel better about yourself. Now don`t start that habit. I don`t imagine your husband would appreciate that. Ha. I`m lucky I still have my wife after that habit.
|

User Profile
Supporter
I don't think that will be a habit I will be taking up...
Although I do smoke.

Have you heard of Freud's Personality-Development stages?
In the oral stage (birth to 18 months), infants, who depend completely on other
people to satisfy their needs, experience pleasure by sucking and swallowing; when
their baby teeth come in, they obtain pleasure from chewing and biting.
He went on to talk about those who were not stimulated enough in this stage go on to be smokers and such.
Do you think this could be a probable cause of why we pick?
|

User Profile
Supporter
My ex-boyfriend used to chew as well. I didn't want to even kiss him when he was using. Good for you that you quit. I've seen the horrors of what gum cancer can do to people.
|

I used to smoke also and then went to chewing.
I thing I have always wondered is I was raised in a very strict home and my dad was pretty hard on me as a child and I think maybe I picked for comfort and that was how I dealt with it.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I used to do that. If you are looking for help, here are two things that helped me to stop:

1) I put on a clear retainer. It was clear so nobody knew I was wearing it, but it covered my gums so I would not be able to get to them.

2) paint your fingernails with a specialized nail polish made for nail biters. It is clear, and it tastes TERRIBLE. It is made so that when nail biters go to put their fingers in their mouth, the taste makes them instantly take their fingers out of their mouth. It works essentially same way. As soon as I put my hands in my mouth to pick, the terrible taste of the polish made me take them out just as fast.

Good luck! You aren't alone.
|

replied February 15th, 2008
make my gums bleed
I do the same thing, it sometimes hurts but feels good too wierd huh?! I poke with my nails or anything pointed i even use high water pressure from my shower and put the pressure right on my gums. I guess I would say it feels like they itch. I dont know why this happens but i cant stop.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
im 17 and do this constantly too. its like an obsession, that i can't stop doing. its weird that other people do it too. i really want to know why though, because i have no clue why i cant stop doing it!
|

replied June 9th, 2009
WOW ME TOO!!!! Oh my goodness, I thought I was crazy! Mind you, I think we might be...!

I like what was said above about children not being stimulated enough at an early age... I'm 22 and I have been doing it since I was about 4 - I remember it clearly, in my early days at school ast story time I started to pick on my gum, just chipping at it (I was, after all, only an amateur back then!) I think one of the ones next to my front teeth on the bottom row... it felt kinda cool. Anyway I showed the teacher and said "look, my gum is bleeding" and she said "Well stop picking at it then" and didnt seem concerned or anything. I suppose I gathered from that that it was okay to do - and then because no one can see the effect of it (I only "came out" about it recently!) its something that I could just continue... I definitely think we might all be under-stimulated babies - thanks!

Oh, and as an after thought.... there is such thing as a gum graft! Hooray!!!! My dentist said their wasn't but she is a biznatch who thinks that giving up is just that easy... so now that I have less anxiety about being a toothless joe when 25, I feel elss urge to pick anyway... OH THE RELIEF! xxxx
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....