Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

16 F Struggling to Lose Weight, Please Help

Alright I'll make this short and simple, I'm 16 almost 17, I am 5'5 and weigh around 150. I do not drink soda, I really only like water. I know how to eat healthy, and I do. I take vitamins and supplements. I do tae kwon and do and 100 crunches a night. I ride my bike to school and to tae kwon. My friends have all lost weight over the summer..(like they really needed to ha) I havn't. If anything I feel even more fat. It's like I have theese awesome abs but no one can see them because of my fat...to make things worse I have a double d chest which makes my apperance look fatter than I am, and my back is curved and more painful becasue of it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's really frustrating. I know some things can't change (unless surgery which i don't plan on anytime soon) but I'd really just like to lose some of my gut or something at least for all the work I've been doing. It's been really depressing me lately. If anyone has a solution or can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd be extreamly grateful.
love,
Arose
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 11th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: 16 F Struggling to Lose Weight, Please Help
arose1590 wrote:
Alright I'll make this short and simple, I'm 16 almost 17, I am 5'5 and weigh around 150. I do not drink soda, I really only like water. I know how to eat healthy, and I do. I take vitamins and supplements. I do tae kwon and do and 100 crunches a night. I ride my bike to school and to tae kwon. My friends have all lost weight over the summer..(like they really needed to ha) I havn't. If anything I feel even more fat. It's like I have theese awesome abs but no one can see them because of my fat...to make things worse I have a double d chest which makes my apperance look fatter than I am, and my back is curved and more painful becasue of it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and it's really frustrating. I know some things can't change (unless surgery which i don't plan on anytime soon) but I'd really just like to lose some of my gut or something at least for all the work I've been doing. It's been really depressing me lately. If anyone has a solution or can tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd be extreamly grateful.
love,
Arose

Your ideal weight would be between 111 - 150 lbs. So you would be at the higher end of normal for you.

The simplest form of figuring out weight loss is to know how many calories you take in. A pound of 'fat' is 3500 calories. If you cut out - or exercise - enough to burn up 500 calories a day, you will lose 1 lbs of fat a week.

Weight loss should never be an 'instant' plan. It is a long term, life long goal to be healthier and feel better about yourself.

Tae kwon do is excellent for exercise, as is riding your bike. Don't give those things up! Smile Add to them. Ride longer. Practice more. Those are great cardiovascular exercises!
|

replied September 26th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I formulated my own diet plan and it's working pretty well for me. I call it a 'tea diet'.

Choose what meal you want to eat the most during the day and eat it whenever you wish, and instead of eating two more meals that day, drink as much tea of any kind that you want. Also include a small snack like a piece of fruit or whtatever once a day. Keep a journal of the food you eat and your calorie intake for a week, add all your daily calorie results together and divide by five days (monday through friday) to get an average calorie amount. Do not count calories or fat from the tea, and if it's in teabag form, add whatever sweeteners you like.

From that week on, try your best to not exceed that calorie limit per day. Keep this up for maybe another two weeks and then during the fourth week, very slightly raise your daily calorie limit, maybe by just 50 calories (but that can sometimes make a big difference). Each week, increase your daily calorie intake by that same amount - this way, you are slowly and gradually training your body and brain out of starvation mode. If you go on a diet this strict and just start eating normally again all of a sudden, it will be a complete shock to your metabolism and you'll gain back what you lost and more.

The best part? No exercise required! You could be a total couch potato and lose weight this way - I've been on this diet for about a week and I've lost six pounds. You can either eat lots of small low-calorie meals or one large calorie meal, but try not to let it exceed 1000 calories per day; that's a good place to start.

I don't know if you like tea or not...I only chose that for my diet because it's very low-calorie (or calorie and fat free). I usually drink a couple cups of red chai tea with sugar and cream and Lipton diet green and white teas. Also, Crystal Light drink mixes (raspberry and lemonade) are very good and have fewer calories than sweetened tea and those can be substituted.
|

replied September 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Cambion wrote:
I formulated my own diet plan and it's working pretty well for me. I call it a 'tea diet'.

Choose what meal you want to eat the most during the day and eat it whenever you wish, and instead of eating two more meals that day, drink as much tea of any kind that you want. Also include a small snack like a piece of fruit or whtatever once a day. Keep a journal of the food you eat and your calorie intake for a week, add all your daily calorie results together and divide by five days (monday through friday) to get an average calorie amount. Do not count calories or fat from the tea, and if it's in teabag form, add whatever sweeteners you like.

From that week on, try your best to not exceed that calorie limit per day. Keep this up for maybe another two weeks and then during the fourth week, very slightly raise your daily calorie limit, maybe by just 50 calories (but that can sometimes make a big difference). Each week, increase your daily calorie intake by that same amount - this way, you are slowly and gradually training your body and brain out of starvation mode. If you go on a diet this strict and just start eating normally again all of a sudden, it will be a complete shock to your metabolism and you'll gain back what you lost and more.

The best part? No exercise required! You could be a total couch potato and lose weight this way - I've been on this diet for about a week and I've lost six pounds. You can either eat lots of small low-calorie meals or one large calorie meal, but try not to let it exceed 1000 calories per day; that's a good place to start.

I don't know if you like tea or not...I only chose that for my diet because it's very low-calorie (or calorie and fat free). I usually drink a couple cups of red chai tea with sugar and cream and Lipton diet green and white teas. Also, Crystal Light drink mixes (raspberry and lemonade) are very good and have fewer calories than sweetened tea and those can be substituted.

So... basically low calorie then...

You should also exercise though because you need muscle. Muscle burns more calories. If you lose weight and don't exercise, your body burns the muscle and leave you with flabby fat. It is a vicious cycle.
|

replied October 17th, 2007
Struggling to Loose Weight
It sounds as if you are at your ideal weight. Don't compare yourself to your friends. Each of us are unique and have our own ideal weight. You do not sound overweight. Actually, it may be alarming at the amount of energy and exercise you are doing. You are 16, relax and enjoy your life. Good luck.
|

replied January 30th, 2009
All you need is a big hug !
I wish people of such a young age would relax and not worry too much about their weight !

If you are doing a lot of exercises it is possible that you will put on weight! But you will be burning off fat and building muscles. And muscle weighs more than fat,so I think you should lose the scales.

maxcool

Razz
|
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....