Medical Questions > Mental Health > Stop Smoking Forum

Lung Damage.. How Serious Is It?

I am 22 years old now. I do smoke. I just got back from a chest x ray scan, and the doctor told me I got minor lung damager. She told me to either cut down smoking or quit. Straight after that, she approved my checkup as being normal.

So I was thinking to my self, isn’t lung damage a very serious problem? Why did she just approved my checkup to my employer saying that I m normal and not asking me to do another test?

Assuming, if I do stop smoking from now onwards, will the damage lung continue to deteriorate or it might eventually heal back?

Is all smokers’ lung damaged? Should i be getting more examination?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 6th, 2007
Experienced User
You're doctor didn't elaborate on what she meant by lung damage? Maybe you should ask her what kind of damage.

As far as smokers. All smokers have some kind of lung damage while they are smoking.

Your lungs have hairlike projections called cilia. They basically sweep out the foreign particles that is inhaled into the lungs. Things like dust, viruses, bacteria.

When a person starts smoking though, the cilia start to slow down. Eventually becoming paralyzed and destroyed. Luckily, when a person quits smoking. The cilia will start to regenerate within a few days. Within six months, the cilia is usually fully regenerated.

BUT if you quit and then tyr to occasionally smoke, the cilia will not fully regenerate.

If you have lung damage. You should quit smoking now. Your doctor wasn't very smart to give you an option to cut down.

People do not smoke for pleasure. A lot of smokers believe they do, but it is something a lot of smokers will say to justify why they are slowly killing themselves by purposely inhaling smoke and thousands of chemicals. The truth is, they smoke because they are addicted. They have to smoke to feel what non smokers and ex smokers already feel.....calmness.

Asking a smoker to cut down is like asking an alcoholic to cut down. Can it be done? I suppose it could, but it will take a lot of will power and the person will just end up feeling deprived and miserable. In the end, it is much much easier to quit all together.

Quit smoking now and the lungs are amazing machines. They can heal themselves over time. Don't wait until it is too late. Don't wait until you get COPD or Emphysema.

My grandmother has Emphysema. She is on oxygen and she still smokes. She literally takes the mask off to smoke. This again shows tha people do not smoke because they just want to, but because they are addicted to smoking.

Don't wait until it is too late.

Eric
|

Thank you so much for your reply. i will be goin for another xray scan later to double confirm. either way i make a promise to my self to quit smoking completely. I hope the Xray will turn out Fine.. pray for the best then.. thanks alot
|

Especially eHealthy
best of luck to you and your journeys ahead
remember do not give up! you are too young to have a problem like this! i am here if you ever need any help or support ok?
|

Experienced User
I'm sure that your X-ray will turn out just fine. There is no way that your first doctor would give you a clean bill of health if there was something serious in the X-ray the first time.

If you're serious about quitting I can answer questions you may have. There might be some withdrawal symptoms when you first quit, but there are steps that you can take to minimize these symptoms.

Also, check out Allen Carr's book : The easy way to quit smoking. You don't even have to buy it. Just go to a bookstore and give it a bit of a read, but you may be surprised that you'll want to buy it once you start reading it. It can really help change the way you see cigarettes.

Eric
|

thank you so much for offering ur help! very encouraging to know there is someone supporting me.. i m leaving home to the hospital now for another check.. will let you guys know bout the results later.. see yah Shocked
|

User Profile
replied October 2nd, 2007
I hope all goes well, I just wish that my mother & grandmother stop smoking. Even though I show them what could happen they still do it.
|

Please quit smoking! You probably are showing signs of lung disease like everyone else that smokes. I had cancer of the mouth 17 years ago and they had to do drastic surgery. When I got out of the hospital following the surgery where my mouth had to be sewn shut for two weeks accept for a small hole to fit a straw, I lite up a cigarette two steps out the door. How sick is that! That goes to show you how cigarettes can get a grip on you the longer you smoke. I now have emphysema, bronchiatectis, bronchopneumonia infiltrates, and sarcoidosis. I have been smoke free for 4 years. Smoking was the main cause of all those diseases. Please quit!
|

Especially eHealthy
Jentz wrote:
thank you so much for offering ur help! very encouraging to know there is someone supporting me.. i m leaving home to the hospital now for another check.. will let you guys know bout the results later.. see yah Shocked

no problem1 thats what im here for!!!!!!!
|

replied March 1st, 2009
emphysema
i have emphysema and work retail when I work 8 hours and stand on my feet running and hanging up dresses. cleanding out dressing rooms I am very tired. If I am off the next day I have to stay in bed the whole day. Could this be from the emphysema or just that I am getting old. I am 66 years old take spiriva for the emphysema. Pleas advise of the job. Thanks sandy
|