Medical Questions > Relationships > Family Relationships Forum

They Except Everything From Me! I Feel Like I'm the mother !

User Profile
Ok......I have 1 older brother and 1 younger brother im the middle child. My older brother matthew is 21 he dropped outta skool wen he was younger but he got his GED an has a family...hes also bipolor and gotten in a lot of trouble with the law. My younger brother Miguel has every form of ADD ADHD and things like that and becuz of his behavior he cant stay in school for more then 3 days without getting kicked out. Im the only one who doesn't have "behavior" issues. Because of this Soo much has been put on me I feel like Im the mother. My mom expects me to be perfect...to get perfect grades to clean the house and cook and watch my niece when shes here do lanudry go to the store for her get this for her do that for her while she lays in bed with her boyfriend. She complains she has to much to do but really all she has to do is be here wen my little brother is here I feel like Im the Mom!! My fathers never around and when he decides to come around he expects me to be perfect to! My parents are scared of my older brother and they pity my younger brother. Me? I get left out. I had enough. Im ready to move out and have my own life but im just too young. I need another resort. I can't talk to my mom about it because she wil definitly not understand where im coming from and she'll take it the wrong way like I dont appreciate her. I do I love her but I just can't take all the pressure. Im a teenage girl trying to deal with school applying for colleges I have enough pressure as it is! I need a new resort!! Does ANYONE have any advice or ANYTHING I should do. Anything at all!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2007
I can understand why your parents are like this..your other brothers kinda screwed it up for you. They dont want you to end up liek them so they try and pressure you into being this perfect little child. They arnt trying to hurt you in any way. I cna however say they might be pressuring you a little too much. MAybe its time to sit down and talk to your mom. Tell her that she doesnt have to worry about you. Tell her that you are going to make her proud and that you love her. Tell her that she has been pressuring you alot latley and its making you stressed. Tell her if she wants you to turn out better than your brothers then she needs to back off a little and let you show her what you can do. Now the only thing is you better hold up your end of the deal or you cant expect her to quit riding your back
|

replied March 21st, 2008
Step outside the box
I understand how you feel. I am the oldest of four children. I have also felt the same kind of pressure. I had to set the standards for my younger siblings. The best advice I can give you is this, don't lose sight of your own ambitions and goals because of your family, but also never relinquish your families needs on another. You have to find a happy medium. You really need to explain to your parents how you feel. Without confrontation there can be no sure resolution, but remain respectful. Honest is the best policy.
|

replied March 21st, 2008
Step outside the box
I understand how you feel. I am the oldest of four children. I have also felt the same kind of pressure. I had to set the standards for my younger siblings. The best advice I can give you is this, don't lose sight of your own ambitions and goals because of your family, but also never relinquish your families needs on another. You have to find a happy medium. You really need to explain to your parents how you feel. Without confrontation there can be no sure resolution, but remain respectful. Honest is the best policy.
|