Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Can a U.T.I cause my missed period?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Ok I am 19 years old and I recently had a Urinary Tract Infection before I was suppose to have a period and I am normally regular for a period. I was ready to start on August 23 and still no period. Can a U.T.I cause my missed period? I have taken a home pregnancy test and it came up negative. I took the hpt at 10:30 pm on Wednesday the 29th. I have nipples that hurt when touched and cramping in my lower belly. Today is September 1st and I had slight blood. Not much of course not enough to even use a tampon and I was wondering should I take another one or should I just go ahead and go to the doctor and see what is wrong? Please help.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2007
Sexual Health - Women Answer A3354
You took your pregnancy test at the proper time (after you missed an expected period) and according to the result (negative) you are probably not pregnant. You can take another test, in any case, just to confirm.

A urinary tract infection can’t cause you to miss a menstrual period. A missed period can be due to pregnancy or a functional disorder of the axis hypothalamus-pituitary gland-ovaries. The most common disorder that can cause period-missing is persistence of some type of hormonally active ovarian cyst. When the cyst becomes inactive you will get your period but it won't look like the regular periods.

You can consult your gynecologist for further advice and to identify what's going on.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.