Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

What are risks of transmitting viral meningitis via oral sex, se

User Profile
My girlfriend had viral meningitis and was on a drip for a week. She and i are both in our mid teens. I am worried that when i kiss her or commit any other acts of close contact with her i.e. oral sex and sex, that i may be at risk. Please could you tell me any risks i may face from this. Cheers

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2007
Infectious Diseases Answer A3329
Viral meningitis (inflammation of the covering of the brain) is and infective disease. Means of transmission depend upon the type of virus. Several types of viruses can cause meningitis with different ways of transmission:

1. Arena-viruses – transmitted by eating food contaminated with rat excretion (alimentary transmission);
2. Polio-viruses – alimentary transmission;
3. ECHO-virus – alimentary transmission;
4. Coxsackie-virus – alimentary transmission;
5. Arbo-viruses – transmitted via insects’ bites;
6. Mumps-virus – transmitted by direct contact or trough the contaminated air;
7. Measles – transmitted via contaminated air;
8. Chickenpox – transmitted via contaminated air;
9. Herpes simplex virus (HSV) – transmitted by direct contact (kissing, sex);
10. Epstein-Barr-virus (EBV) – transmitted by direct contact (kissing).

What are risks of transmitting viral meningitis via oral sex, sex, kissing, etc.?

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Meningitis is contagious and can be life threatening. Get the basic facts on meningitis here....
What are the different types of meningitis and who do they affect? We answer this here....
Early signs and symptoms of meningitis can mimic the flu. Can you identify meningitis symptoms and know when to seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infectious Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.