Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Symptoms of juvenile diabetes mellitus ?

User Profile
My question is about my 7 year old daughter, up till 6 weeks ago she was very healthy happy little girl. She got a bout of the flue and a touch of bronchitus which was treated with antibiotics. she dropped 2 kilos during this time and was put down to her fever and slight dehidration. 6 weeks on she is still a very happy active little girl but she has dropped a total of 4 kilos during this time she now weighs 20.4 kilos and looks skelitol. She constantly wants to drink and goes to the toilet all the time, she has a very healthy appertite and I let her eat in between meals if she is hungry.Her skin has changed and is very dry no matter what i put on it. She is a bed wetter as well. We have a very happy home life on a farm, My dr is doing test but could you tell me what this could be Diabetes is one option that i have been told but could this be anything else or could this be normal?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2007
Diabetes Answer A3324
Excessive thirst and drinking, urination and eating (polydipsia, polyuria and polyfagia) are the 3 main symptoms of diabetes mellitus. To confirm a diabetes diagnosis, you'll need to measure the glucose level in the blood and examine the urine. Weight loss is also typical for diabetes mellitus type-1. You can consult a pediatrician about your daughter’s condition and request the preliminary diagnostics.

Symptoms of juvenile diabetes mellitus ?

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.