User Profile
all right so first let me say that I AM THE NANNY lol So this is not my child but i have cared for him since he was 7 weeks old. When i first started this job (i have alot of expierience with 2 yr olds and older but not much with babies except for siblings and occasional babysitting) but anyways when i first started they had read a book called "Baby Wise".. which is a book on sleep and eating patterns. So he basically, in my opinion, was the easiest baby every because he slept through out the night and ate and slept routinally through out the daytime. well since hes been 6 mths old that all went out the window and he's been waking up in the middle of the night (for his parents) and just crying pretty much for no reason. And his naps during the day are completely sparatic (sp?) and it takes a very long time to put him to sleep. In my opinion with my own child, they will learn that to cry doesnt mean im going to jump and do what they want. (and ive read that if youve tried to feed and change their diaper, if theyre crying after an hour and a half then that means maybe their stomach hurts or something) but since hes not my child, if he cries im supposed to do whatever it takes to make him stop..even if that means that hes learned that him crying will make him not have to take a nap..atleast untill hes falling over from being so sleepy. Ok so my question is how do i get this little guy into a sleep pattern? his eating is all routine but the sleeping part is just "whenever it happens" which since ive worked at a daycare, i know that that doesnt always work.

any help?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 30th, 2007
Experienced User
ok so i read over what i typed and im not sure if i fully explained the situation lol. see from the time he was born his mom wanted him to be able to sleep during noises and also know when daytime and night time were. so she had him in his swing in the living room where hed fall asleep and i that was great cuz hed sleep through the tv and the bright light..but i think it was because he was a newborn and they will sleep through anything. Well when he grew out of his swing..we have been trying to get him to sleep in his crib BUT since she wanted him to know that sleeping in his crib was during night time i think FOR ME its back fired because now he hates sleeping in his crib. for example just now i went and rocked him to sleep which took him only 2 minutes before he was out..well i put him in his crib and left the room..well a minute later hes screaming his head off for really no reason. hes so tired i can see it in his eyes (and since i try everything else he cries then too) but for some reason hes pretty much refusing to sleep. and i know its nothing else because out of the 5 days im here 3 of them are like this. i dont know what to do. like i was saying in my opinion i think crying is a natural thing for a child to help themselves fall asleep to and as long as it doesnt exceed over an hour and a half its perfectly fine (so ive read). anyways i was wondering because im not a mom and i havent had a lot of expierience with babies if this is normal or if his parents are pretty much letting him run this house and its not helping him. im not sure what i can do. ive read most children are sleep deprived. lol honestly i am just thinking that this kid just needs to realize that him crying doesnt mean he should get his way but what is your opinions? i mean hes not my kid so i cant raise him on my opinions BUT i can nicely suggest somethings to his parents.

sorry i just thought that maybe my orginial post wasnt too clear lol..as i was writing that the baby started crying.
thanks!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Hey girl! Haven't seen you for a while now!

Well ther isn't mcuh you can do since your only the sitter.You can give thm some suggestions and opinions but they might not like it. Maybe you could sit them down and talk with them about this. How old is he? There could be several reasons why his sleeping is messed up. Teething?temperature of the house (too cold or too hot)?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
~*~Melissa~*~ wrote:

Well ther isn't mcuh you can do since your only the sitter.You can give thm some suggestions and opinions but they might not like it. Maybe you could sit them down and talk with them about this. How old is he? There could be several reasons why his sleeping is messed up. Teething?temperature of the house (too cold or too hot)?

ya well he does sweat very easily so we try and keep it fairly cold. but maybe he is teething hes 8 mths old and no teeth yet. but im going to check out the baby wise 2nd book maybe for some insight. im gonna keep my mouth shut for the most part cuz i wouldnt want someone tellin me how to raise my kid lol..its just frustrating because i know that in advertanly they are causing some of the reasons why he isnt sleeping..hes learned he runs the house lol. oh well hes so darn cute i guess he can lol.

ya i stayed away from the site cuz i was getting so obsessed with it lol. im already obsessed with myspace no need for a second site. and i started a photography business so ive been SOOO busy with that too. but i came back to read about some birth control options (which i didnt want to do but my hubby just started school and i think we should wait on babies) and now im back lol. anyways cute pic btw! how have you been?
|

Extremely eHealthy
Blink for Soup wrote:
~*~Melissa~*~ wrote:

ya well he does sweat very easily so we try and keep it fairly cold. but maybe he is teething hes 8 mths old and no teeth yet. but im going to check out the baby wise 2nd book maybe for some insight. im gonna keep my mouth shut for the most part cuz i wouldnt want someone tellin me how to raise my kid lol..its just frustrating because i know that in advertanly they are causing some of the reasons why he isnt sleeping..hes learned he runs the house lol. oh well hes so darn cute i guess he can lol.

ya i stayed away from the site cuz i was getting so obsessed with it lol. im already obsessed with myspace no need for a second site. and i started a photography business so ive been SOOO busy with that too. but i came back to read about some birth control options (which i didnt want to do but my hubby just started school and i think we should wait on babies) and now im back lol. anyways cute pic btw! how have you been?
I think thats a good idea.

Thanks for the compliment. I've been great, outside of the stress I have from work. I just got promoted and some aren't taking it too well. I also got rid of my (_)_) hole boyfriend and have a new one who is *10x* better and treats me great. Things have changed! Photography huh? Thatrs so cool. I love to take pics and want to buy a digi camera and printer to go with it.Hows the business going so far? and whats hubby going to school for?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hey, maybe this will help.

He needs to learn how to fall asleep onhis own in his bed. It is hard at first. Who wouldn't want to be rocked to sleep? So let him get drowsy, and put him in his bed. (With my child I had a little music box and she had a "lovie". If he cries, go in, pat him, talk to him ,tell himit's ok, bu tOD NOT PICK HIM UP. Keep doing this adn space out the amount of time between weach return visit to console him by like 1 minute. Eventually he will learn that he is expected to go to sleep inhis bed. As dfar as the patrents go, they can fo whatever they want at night, it's thier sleep they will be missing. Are they home during the day when you watch him? IF they are, this is going to be a lot harder. you might tell them that you have been reading up on infant sleep and you'd like to try it for a while to see if it works. You are in a tough spot, for sure!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
~*~Melissa~*~ wrote:
Blink for Soup wrote:
~*~Melissa~*~ wrote:

I think thats a good idea.

Thanks for the compliment. I've been great, outside of the stress I have from work. I just got promoted and some aren't taking it too well. I also got rid of my (_)_) hole boyfriend and have a new one who is *10x* better and treats me great. Things have changed! Photography huh? Thatrs so cool. I love to take pics and want to buy a digi camera and printer to go with it.Hows the business going so far? and whats hubby going to school for?

lol the new one isnt the guy you were talking about awhile back who had a girlfriend is he? well no matter who he is as long as he treats you better thats awesome. and congrats on the promotion..i think if anyone "isnt taking it as well" then its just plain jealousy! anyways Mike's company is putting him through college to get his journymens (sp?) license..which takes FOUR LONG YEARS but itll be a nice big paycheck when hes done. He can test to get bumped up to 2nd year (hes most likely going to try) because four more years in florida sounds like forever lol..besides the beach..i cant wait to move outta this state. My photography business is pretty steady..i dont want to move into it to fast because i stress easily..and im so intraverted that im still a bit self conscience about everything. but its great extra money and i love doing it so im pushing myself to work past all that. But if you need any help when you eventually buy a camera you can ask me cuz im always looking up the best of the best. anyways congrats on the new man and new position!
|

Extremely eHealthy
Blink for Soup wrote:

lol the new one isnt the guy you were talking about awhile back who had a girlfriend is he? well no matter who he is as long as he treats you better thats awesome.
hm. . thats not ringing a bell for some reason. . .

Blink for Soup wrote:
and congrats on the promotion..i think if anyone "isnt taking it as well" then its just plain jealousy!
yeah, thats part of it.

Blink for Soup wrote:
anyways Mike's company is putting him through college to get his journymens (sp?) license..which takes FOUR LONG YEARS but itll be a nice big paycheck when hes done. He can test to get bumped up to 2nd year (hes most likely going to try) because four more years in florida sounds like forever lol..besides the beach..i cant wait to move outta this state. My photography business is pretty steady..i dont want to move into it to fast because i stress easily..and im so intraverted that im still a bit self conscience about everything. but its great extra money and i love doing it so im pushing myself to work past all that. But if you need any help when you eventually buy a camera you can ask me cuz im always looking up the best of the best. anyways congrats on the new man and new position!
wow, sounds nice! I'm glad everything is going well for you. Where you plan on moving?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
sillyakchick wrote:
Hey, maybe this will help.

He needs to learn how to fall asleep onhis own in his bed. It is hard at first. Who wouldn't want to be rocked to sleep? So let him get drowsy, and put him in his bed. (With my child I had a little music box and she had a "lovie". If he cries, go in, pat him, talk to him ,tell himit's ok, bu tOD NOT PICK HIM UP. Keep doing this adn space out the amount of time between weach return visit to console him by like 1 minute. Eventually he will learn that he is expected to go to sleep inhis bed. As dfar as the patrents go, they can fo whatever they want at night, it's thier sleep they will be missing. Are they home during the day when you watch him? IF they are, this is going to be a lot harder. you might tell them that you have been reading up on infant sleep and you'd like to try it for a while to see if it works. You are in a tough spot, for sure!

His dad comes home after lunch time right around his second nap which is his hardest but im going to talk to his mom tomorrow. as long as shes in a good mood then shes more like a friend lol but shes been grumpy all week so its hard to talk to her when shes like that lol id rather just deal with a grumpy baby lol. but ya im definatly going to go to the library and get the continuation book of the first one so maybe that will help. i think because they started to follow the book but have kinda stopped its messin him up. and that whole not letting him take naps in his crib..thanks very much for your input!
|
Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....