Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Is bladder problem mental? I feel like peeing in my pants

User Profile
I have had a bladder problem, in that i feel like I'm going to leak or dribble some urine. I panic and then am extremely tense and find it hard to relax. I used to have this problem about a year ago but it has disappeared over the last year. Now, for no reason that I can think of, it has come back!It used to happen only when I was nervous, but now it is most of the time, cos I am worrying about it happening! If I am completely relaxed, then it is fine - which leads me to think its a mental problem. Driving is impossible cos I am constantly trying to hold it in.It is worse after showers/baths/etc. Quick movements also affect me,and sitting.
This is a huge problem as,as a student,I have to sit through many lectures, and take part in many activities. I would wear pads, but it is unattractive for my boyfriend.
thanks for any help!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2007
Urinary and Bladder Disorders Answer A3298
According to your description, it seem that your problem is mental rather than one caused by the bladder. It's probably that you don’t have a real urge to pee but you only you THINK that you are. The fact that this happens when you are nervous supports the belief that your problem is mental. At any rate, you can consult a urologist to examine your bladder and exclude possible functional bladder disorders like stress-incontinention and detrusor-instability. If everything is OK, you might then consult a psychiatrist about your obsession with peeing in your pants.

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Urinary and Bladder Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.