User Profile
The pill or the shot.
Eventually I'am thinking about going onto birth control and I'am not sure what would be better for me to take. I really don't like needles though.
I guess you can call me a chicken to them lol! But I'm not sure what would be better to take.
Is there any side of effects to both of them?
I was thinking about talking to my doctor and looking up on google for more information. But I would like some womens opinion.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The shot lasts for 3 months, and its negative affects could last longer.

IF you react badly to the shot, then there is nothing that can be done.

IF you react negatively to the pill, you can simply stop taking it and switch to another type.
|

replied August 28th, 2007
I hate needles and am scared of them to, but when I was on the shot I loved it. The only bad thing is like the reply before me said there isn't anything that can be done if you react bad to it, which I did. So hopefully if you choose the shot then you will be okay. I would go with the shot just because it's easier and you have nothing to remember except to get it every three months =]
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Both can have side effects for some people, but usually people find that they love one. And if you have side effects to a pill, you can switch to a different pill.

But, the shot is easier to remember and maintenance free. It does have the downside of bone-density loss if you're on it for a long time (which you will have to talk to your doc about).

When you talk to your doc about prescribing you some birth control, she will go through the options with you and pros and cons.

I'm on the pill and I have no problem with it.
|

Especially eHealthy
we cant tell you which is better because allmwomen reac differently to bc! however i personally would NEVER get the shot
you may want to do some major reaserch on BC before you decide what you really want to look into

there is also the IUD, the patch and even a new method of BC called femecon Fe and its a chewable BC pill! it tastes like a mint tic tac and has low amount of hormones too!
|

Extremely eHealthy
the shot starts to create bone loss after 2 years of continued use. The shot can leave you with heavy periods once you get off and worse cramps. At least thats my experience. I have never took bc pill for any length of time so I cant comment on that, all I know is its so hard to remember
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Yeah think about other things too- the ring, the patch, IUD's... they all work!

They all have pros and cons and some women love em, some women hate em. You kind've have to play around and find out what works the best for you.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Rosie H wrote:
the shot starts to create bone loss after 2 years of continued use. The shot can leave you with heavy periods once you get off and worse cramps. At least thats my experience. I have never took bc pill for any length of time so I cant comment on that, all I know is its so hard to remember

i agree with the heavy periods. i was on the shot for a year because it was so difficult for me at the time to remember to take the pill (this was in high school) and since i have absolutly no problem with needles seemed like the best one. BUT i have had the worst periods of my life after coming off of the shot and the cramps are unbearable. im to the point that for two days i bring my heating pad everywhere with me and can only use pads for the first 3 days.
|

Experienced User
Personally, I would try the pill first, since like someone said if it doesn't work out you can just top taking it. I believe the side effects of the pill are similiar to the side effects of the shot, so in the trial and error process with pills you would atleast be getting used to the potential side effects of the shot.

The pill, for me, isn't hard to remember. Set an alarm on your phone or something. It's just inconvenient sometimes, because i take mine at lunch at school (with food, just in case i'd get nausea on an empty stomach), and they changed the schedule around so that I don't have lunch at the same time some days. Most days I take mine at exactly the same time every day, but it's just approximate. You can be an hour or two late or early.
|

User Profile
replied August 29th, 2007
Thank you ladies for your replies.
I'am going to do some researching on the internet in a few. I just wanted to see what other womens opinion were of taking birth control like what was better. You did all help to give me some things I need to look into.
I'm going to set up a doctors appoiment with my doctor to talk to my doctor about the pros and cons about birth control.

I just hope that if I do take birth control that I will allow my periods not to be so heavy! I'm a heavy bleeder(sorry for the tmi! Embarassed )
but I want something that can be able to control it.

But i'll keep you all posted on what my choice is and to see what my doctor said. Once again thank you ladies for your help it means a lot.
|
Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...