Is shakiness a symptom of TMJ (especially in the limbs, mostly arms)?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 27th, 2007
Shakiness
tmj- what is this?
i and my boyfriend have this.
i have it more in hands and arms
he has it in hands and legs...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
this could be nerve pressure. is this accompanied by anything else? have you seen a chiropractor at all and what do you do to treat the tmd.
|

Supporter
Shakiness can be a symptom of TMJ but if you are only experiencing shakiness in the limbs, I would not consider TMJ as the problem. You should see your doctor, tho, as it can be a sign of too much caffeine intake, or low blood sugar, or high blood pressure, etc.

God bless...
Carol
|

Oh no...I have many TMJ symptoms - at least I think so. I actually was treated for TMJ when I was a teenager (i'm now 33). I wore a bite plate to change the way I bite. I haven't had it flare up, maybe occassional tightness in my jaw and having to adjust a little to close my mouth. For the most part, the clicking stopped, which was the only symptom I had at the time.

In the past year or so, I've had some vague symptoms but over the past few months they have been VERY troublesome and somewhat dabilitating at times. I've had:

intense pressure in my forehead, jaw, bridge of my nose (has become constant over the past month)
headaches in my forehead mostly
neck, shoulder pain
my face gets warm/burning feeling
hands get weak
fatigue
eye burning/pain around my eyes (pressure)
tight face feeling/tingly sometimes
off and on nausea that I think is due to constant post nasal drip
shakiness (off and on)
Very bad insomnia
clogged ear feeling, "clicks" when I exercise

All of these come and go and I had a really intense "attack" about 1 month ago that lasted about a week. I was under tremendous stress at the time, had a complete loss of appetite (lost 8 lbs in 4 days). My appetite has been good to spotty since then. It seems like the shakiness alternates sometimes with the intense head pressure/warm face feeling.

Now, I should say that I have also been diagnosed with Lyme as of 12 days ago. I've been on the antibiotics and have seen no significant improvement which makes me think it is something else (maybe in addition to the Lyme or the Lyme is exaggerating it???). The TMJ just dawned on me as a possibility over the past week or so.

I should also mention that the last time I went to my dentist (in late May), my dentist asked me if I clench or grind my teeth. I then told him how I was treated for it years ago. He said that my back teeth have slight mobility which can be caused by clenching. He made a note and said that we should keep our eye on it.

Thats my story...thoughts? Smile
|

replied August 28th, 2007
Supporter
Lyme Disease and TMJ do have a problem with each other (couldn't think of a better way to say that.) Confused They seem to exacerbate each other. But I'm more concerned about the stress and sleeping problems that you are having. You already know this, but you really need to de-stress just about anyway possible - hot tub, regular therapeutic massage, Yoga, therapy and even meds, etc.

It also sounds like you should consider wearing a bite splint again. Can you go back to the dentist who treated you previously? If you told your current dentist the symptoms you mentioned here and he saw the teeth issues, he just doesn't seem to care as much as I would want my TMJ doctor to do so. But I don't know all that you told him.

Sleep is also another biggie with TMJ. Good deep REM sleep is necessary for TMJ sufferers. For some reason, that stage is essential. I've heard it has something to do with how it stills our body fully.

I think you're on the right track. I hope and pray that you will be able to find the help you need (bite splint, PT, massage, etc.) And get some relief (use lots of moist heat and ice also). And RELAX!! I will also pray that the anti-biotics will help with the Lyme Disease.

God bless...
Carol
|

replied September 4th, 2007
Shaky...
I have experienced (on and off) a feeling like a train going by or an earthquake just as I awake, but not during the day. My GP said not to worry and so did the neurologist... after all the tests etc... I have been experiencing the shaking a lot less since I started wearing a splint and a lot less since I started to do some stretching exercises...

Good luck!

Carl
|

replied September 5th, 2007
I think that shakiness can be a symptom of TMJ as I had similar symptoms at one point. I, at least, believe in the homeopathy of the body so that if there's a problem with your jaw muscles hurting that it carries to the rest of your body. Despite what any doctor may say, they haven't felt the way every TMJ patient has felt as everyone's case is different (so even if they had TMJ it doesn't mean they had it as bad as the next person).

I have found that keeping active and exercising, running, swimming, surfing (I'm lucky enough to live near the ocean) and doing anything else you like to do can help to reduce the overall symptoms of TMJ such as the shakiness you may feel. Its hard to separate the mind from the body so being self conscious about the problem can make it worse as well. From what I understand about TMJ disorder, your body needs to heal itself and most of the things doctors do can only help this along so try to keep a strong body, eat healthy and hopefully the medical care you get can help you along.
|
Tags: symptom, TMJ
Quick Reply