Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Genetics Question (baby's Eye Color)

Hello everyone, I am 4 mo. pregnant and I have a question about what my baby's eye color might be. I have med/dark brown eyes and my husband has blue, here is a chart of family members eye colors:
He has blue,his parents both have blue eyes, all four sets of grandparents have blue eyes.
I have dark brown eyes, my mother has light hazel, my father dark brown,
my grandparents have: 1 has blue, 1 has light hazel, 2 have dark brown.
I think brown is usually dominate but my brother has 2 children with blue eyes and two with brown ( his wife also has blue eyes) so I know that I carry the recessive blue eye gene. what are the chances of this baby having blue eyes? this is all for fun and as long as the baby is healthy I don't care, but thought it might be fun to see what the predictions might be...Very Happy
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
we cant predict what colour the baby's eyes will be in the future but most babies have blue eyes when they are born and they slowly change within a week or 2.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
there is really only a 25% chance s/he will have blue eyes, 25% hazel, and 50% dark. Brown is dominent, but it is also possible for two brown eyed people to have a blue-eyed baby, if they carry the ressisive gene of course. I have hazel eyes, and my boyfriend has blue eyes, and my baby could of course have brown eyes. His son has blue eyes, when his mom has brown. So it's basically random genes, that's where down syndrome comes from, just randomness... although now, you can change it, but it sounds like you didn't, so again, random...

Good Luck!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 3rd, 2007
Even though I have to agree about the logic and science behind a childs eye color I have read that sometime the eye color can change as the child gets older. Also I have read that the child may have brown eyes no matter how blue the eyes of the parents are!

Despite that though, your child COULD have blue eyes...if you really want it to. I actually found I site where the doctor preforms eye color changing surgeries.

http://newcoloriris.com - what do you think of that?

Thanks,

George
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 5th, 2007
Experienced User
[quote="Lilly Ivy"]there is really only a 25% chance s/he will have blue eyes, 25% hazel, and 50% dark. Brown is dominent, but it is also possible for two brown eyed people to have a blue-eyed baby, if they carry the ressisive gene of course. I have hazel eyes, and my boyfriend has blue eyes, and my baby could of course have brown eyes. His son has blue eyes, when his mom has brown. So it's basically random genes, that's where down syndrome comes from, just randomness... although now, you can change it, but it sounds like you didn't, so again, random...

Good Luck![/quote Very possible! My boyfriend & I both have dark brown eyes - & somehow have a blue eyed baby girl. Dark is dominant over light, yet you nvr know what genes are going into making your baby.. until of course - he's here!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 5th, 2007
Experienced User
Lilly Ivy wrote:
there is really only a 25% chance s/he will have blue eyes, 25% hazel, and 50% dark. Brown is dominent, but it is also possible for two brown eyed people to have a blue-eyed baby, if they carry the ressisive gene of course. I have hazel eyes, and my boyfriend has blue eyes, and my baby could of course have brown eyes. His son has blue eyes, when his mom has brown. So it's basically random genes, that's where down syndrome comes from, just randomness... although now, you can change it, but it sounds like you didn't, so again, random...

Good Luck!
Very possible! My boyfriend & I both have dark brown eyes - & somehow have a blue eyed baby girl. Dark is dominant over light, yet you nvr know what genes are going into making your baby.. until of course - he's here!
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
october05_mommy wrote:
Lilly Ivy wrote:
there is really only a 25% chance s/he will have blue eyes, 25% hazel, and 50% dark. Brown is dominent, but it is also possible for two brown eyed people to have a blue-eyed baby, if they carry the ressisive gene of course. I have hazel eyes, and my boyfriend has blue eyes, and my baby could of course have brown eyes. His son has blue eyes, when his mom has brown. So it's basically random genes, that's where down syndrome comes from, just randomness... although now, you can change it, but it sounds like you didn't, so again, random...

Good Luck!
Very possible! My boyfriend & I both have dark brown eyes - & somehow have a blue eyed baby girl. Dark is dominant over light, yet you nvr know what genes are going into making your baby.. until of course - he's here!


She's the milkman's baby, lol j/k it makes me curious on what our baby's eyes are gonna be. He has blue and mine are hazel, my luck it'll be brown (which I'm really not fond of) but his son has blue eyes, and his mom had brown, so I guess anything is possible
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 10th, 2007
What About Hair Color?
I am a brown eyed, brunette. My mother is a blue eyed, red head. My father a brown eyed, brunette.
My husband is a hazel eyed, brunette but lighter than mine, almost a sandy brown.
He was adopted so we don't know about his parents looks.
We have a hazel eyed, blonde son. Eyes used to be VERY blue.
A blue eyed, blonde daughter and my new baby girl appears to be a blue eyed, brunette. So who knows????
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
72.7% Brown
13.6 % Blue
13.6 % Green

Those are your odds according to you , your mate and both sets of parents. Your mothers eye color is considered to be Brown in the "eye color world" Would be nice to know what your and your mates siblings eye colors are, that has an effect too. Grandparents not needed.

Oh and would like to add, Grey eyes fall under blue. Hazel falls under brown. Human beings have 3 eye colors brown, green or blue.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
so how do you tell the difference between hazel and green Confused
|
Did you find this post helpful?

replied December 19th, 2007
Both my sister and her husband are cinnamon colored skin and dark brown eyes. Their youngest daughter came out light skin and sky blue eyes, she looks just like her daddy with my sisters feautures... my mom and my grandpa are the only ones with green eyes. On my dads side only my great grandpa had blue eyes... if you ask me the color of the eyes don't matter, but your babys health and how much love you can provide.
|
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
Eyes
I know this post is like, 12 years old and you probably know your baby's eyes by now, but here's one for you.

My Dad has Blue eyes (as does both his parents and siblings) My mum has green eyes.
I have two sisters- one has green, and one has blue.
I have brown eyes. Go figure.
PLUS,
My husband has blue eyes, both his parents blue, and all of his siblings the same.
Our firts daughter looked as though she had brown eyes until she was about tow. She's now 5 and they are definately green now- a very green hazel at least, they are getting greener all the time.
Our second daughter has the kind of blue eyes that people stop to comment on- she's two now, and they've never changed since they lost the newborn navyness, and went a more crystal blue.
It's a totally different blue than anyone on either side of the family.

I'm pregnant with no 3 now, and am not even bothering trying to predict who's going to show up this time!!!!!
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
The eyes are the doors to the soul...but what types of eye or vision problems to people typically experience? Basic eye anatomy and info on eye problems here....
Only an Ophthalmologist can diagnose eye disease, but you can learn to identify the signs and symptoms of eye disease. We outline common symptoms here....
What specialist should you visit for eye problems? Learn how doctors test eye movements, health and general vision in this diagnostic overview....