Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Can Standing For Long Periods Cause Preterm Labor?

User Profile
Lately I've been getting worried about going into preterm labor, just because my mom swears that I will. I'll be 27 weeks on Wednesday, and if I'm like my mom, I'll most likely have him around 37 weeks. I've been under a lot of stress lately, just from starting this new job and starting back at school. I've heard stress can cause preterm labor but what about long periods of standing? I've been working about 5-8 1/2 hour shifts at work, and I'm only allowed to sit on my break and lunch. But that's still at least 4 hours standing on my feet all day. I don't go to my doctors until the 4th, but I was wondering if I should be concerned at this point? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't think standing will cause pre term labor. There are many many women who work 12 hour shifts on their feet and they don't have a problem. They work right up until they deliver their babies. If your are going to go into preterm labor, it's going to happen regardless of if your on your feet all day or whether you are laying down all day. If your not leaking water, bleeding, or crampy you are probably all set.
What reason does your mother give as to why you will go early?

I would ask your doc when you go on the 4th just to be sure what they think.

good luck to you
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Mommy35 wrote:
I don't think standing will cause pre term labor. There are many many women who work 12 hour shifts on their feet and they don't have a problem. They work right up until they deliver their babies. If your are going to go into preterm labor, it's going to happen regardless of if your on your feet all day or whether you are laying down all day. If your not leaking water, bleeding, or crampy you are probably all set.
What reason does your mother give as to why you will go early?

I would ask your doc when you go on the 4th just to be sure what they think.

good luck to you

Well one, she had 7 kids and didn't go past 37 weeks with any of them, so she thinks I'll be the same way. And I've been under so much stress lately. I'm not really sure what her exact reasoning is, but that's what she tells me.
|

Especially eHealthy
amy i know what you are going trough
im so scared that im going to go through preterm labor as well due to me not gaining alot of weight
i weighed in yesterday at 108 which is 4lbs more than last time i saw my doctor so i guess thats good. but still ive only gained 8lbs sonce ive been preg and i only have 3 1/2 months to go Sad

just relax as much as you can and dont get stressed hun
im sure everything will be fine
maybe you should notify your doctor about this?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
im so scared that im going to go through preterm labor as well due to me not gaining alot of weight
i weighed in yesterday at 108 which is 4lbs more than last time i saw my doctor so i guess thats good. but still ive only gained 8lbs sonce ive been preg and i only have 3 1/2 months to go Sad

That's good that you've gained 4 lbs. I have no clue what I started at, but if i'm correct, I've gained 9 lbs. I'll mention it to my doctor about being worried when I go in...stupid doctors office pushed my appointment back a whole week, so by the time I go in, it's been 5 weeks since I've seen my doctor. Confused
|

Especially eHealthy
fairytale007 wrote:
the_girlfreind wrote:

That's good that you've gained 4 lbs. I have no clue what I started at, but if i'm correct, I've gained 9 lbs. I'll mention it to my doctor about being worried when I go in...stupid doctors office pushed my appointment back a whole week, so by the time I go in, it's been 5 weeks since I've seen my doctor. Confused

grr i ahve an appointment for wednsday to have my cervix xhecked since ive been expieriencing this horrible chest and back pain and pains in my lower abdomen at times Sad good luck with everything and i hope it goes well!
|

Especially eHealthy
fairytale007 wrote:

Well one, she had 7 kids and didn't go past 37 weeks with any of them, so she thinks I'll be the same way. And I've been under so much stress lately. I'm not really sure what her exact reasoning is, but that's what she tells me.

Thankfully, you are not your mom and you won't have her birth experiences. Standing is not harmful to a pregnancy unless you have some other risk factors.
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...