Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Fitness Forum

Creating Question + Few Others

Hey-

First off, I'm wondering if I should be taking protein on top of creatine, or only creatine.

Starting today, I'm starting taking creatine. I've been working out for about 6 months now, maybe a bit longer, and having protein shakes. I eat well for the most part.. I'm about 5'7", 140lbs. I'm pretty fine with my body, but i'd like to put on a bit more weight, and I'd like to put on strength.. Even after working out for quite a while, my bench weight has barely budged in a while, and a lot of other things are stuck on no-improvement.

Right now, my workout is (it varies, but this is the basic):
Sun: Tricep/Shoulder/Chest
Mon: Bicep/Back
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Tricep/Shoulder/Chest
Friday: Bicep/Back

I've always done 3x10 on most exercise, but starting this week i think i'm going to try the pyramid, as I read in another thread: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

.. It varies somewhat, and I run 1-2 miles (treadmill) every day, and do abs about every other.

----

----

I think that's pretty much it, I may have rambled on, but any advice people can give me is much appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 28th, 2007
Re: Creating Question + Few Others
roxbury wrote:
Hey-

First off, I'm wondering if I should be taking protein on top of creatine, or only creatine.

Starting today, I'm starting taking creatine. I've been working out for about 6 months now, maybe a bit longer, and having protein shakes. I eat well for the most part.. I'm about 5'7", 140lbs. I'm pretty fine with my body, but i'd like to put on a bit more weight, and I'd like to put on strength.. Even after working out for quite a while, my bench weight has barely budged in a while, and a lot of other things are stuck on no-improvement.

Right now, my workout is (it varies, but this is the basic):
Sun: Tricep/Shoulder/Chest
Mon: Bicep/Back
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Tricep/Shoulder/Chest
Friday: Bicep/Back

I've always done 3x10 on most exercise, but starting this week i think i'm going to try the pyramid, as I read in another thread: 12, 10, 8, 6 reps

.. It varies somewhat, and I run 1-2 miles (treadmill) every day, and do abs about every other.

----

----

I think that's pretty much it, I may have rambled on, but any advice people can give me is much appreciated.

Hi,

First, there is nothing wrong with taking protein along with creatine. The two products react in your system quite differently. Creatine is part of the krebs cycle, while protein is a macronutrient that is used for regenerating muscle tissue.

Second, concerning your being stuck at weights, you may want to reconsider your split. You may be overtraining a bit, and this will cause you to fatigue on some of your power lifts.

I would try to change your split a bit so that you are not training chest and shoulders on the same day. What you might want to consider is this:

Sun: Chest
Mon: Back
Wednesday: Legs/Shoulders
Thursday: Chest/Bicep
Friday: Back/Triceps

Remember that when you work your chest, you usually hit your tris, and likewise with your shoulders. When you work your back, you hit your bis. The point is, you do not have to work your bis and tris twice a week with the type of split you are doing.

I would also consider a 5x5 program instead of a straight pyramid. I have seen many people make excellent strength gains using this type of program. If you need help with a 5x5 program, please let me know.

Lastly, I would make sure you are doing squats and deadlifts. These will really improve overall strength and size everywhere on your body.

Good luck,
Ray
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is the medical definition of obesity? How is obesity different than being overweight. Basic medical facts on obesity here....
We review the simple cause of obesity here, and help you evaluate whether or not you are at risk of becoming obese. ...
Click here for basic signs of weight gain, and information on when to seek medical help if you think that you are becoming overweight....