I heard a radio advertisement about a website concerning bipolar disorder. Years in a fight my friend told me i may be bipolar, but i never took it very seriously. After hearing the radio ad, i decided to take a look (i was feeling pretty down). A lot of the information i read seemed to relate to me. I have been googling bipolar disorder, and am afraid I may be bipolar. I don't know what to do next. Should I inform my parents? How would i even be diagnosed? Is there any way to control the mood swings?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 9th, 2007
Re: I Think I'm Bipolar
there's a huge wealth of information on bipolar disorder out there and if u read enough profiles of people affected by the disorder eventually you'll recognize yourself as being similar to these people, or not.

Mood swings are common to even healthy people. Time of the day, diet, menstrual cycle, life events all contribute to mood shifts. The difference is usually these small promptings don't contribute to making u want to lock yourself in your room for weeks at a time or alternatively, talk 3x your normal rate of speed, take on grandiose projects and desire several new sex partners/week.

Drugs can help. For me they don't and only make me feel ill. CBT ( cognitive behaviour therapy) helped a little. I'm considering getting into Buddhism simply because of their emphasis on emotional awareness and control - basically CBT on steroids.

gearhead857 wrote:
I heard a radio advertisement about a website concerning bipolar disorder. Years in a fight my friend told me i may be bipolar, but i never took it very seriously. After hearing the radio ad, i decided to take a look (i was feeling pretty down). A lot of the information i read seemed to relate to me. I have been googling bipolar disorder, and am afraid I may be bipolar. I don't know what to do next. Should I inform my parents? How would i even be diagnosed? Is there any way to control the mood swings?
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...