Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > Health Insurance Forum

34 Weeks Pregnant And Insurance Changed

I am due my baby the end of next month. When i found out i was pregnant i had just switched jobs so i had very little choice but to elect COBRA in order to be covered. Last month i found out that my former employer had not been processing my claims correctly and my insurance was canceled on me. I was paying in full every month but the payments were not being sent on to the insurance company - even though my checks were being cashed. This issue was finally resloved and my insurance was reinstated. Today i recieved a letter in the mail saying that they have switched insurance providers effecive August 1st, The letter was dated August 20th.
Firstly - My cobra payment for august was cashed at the start of the month - my employer never notified the cobra agents so they processed my payments and sent it on to the company as per usual, but according to the letter i got today our insurance had switched by then.
Secondly - and more importantly - i have gone from a 0 deductible to a $4000 deductible - with only 6 weeks left in my pregnancy. Can the new insurance company deny me maternity coverage via a waiting period?? would it be cheaper to see if i can take out a private policy with the current insurance company to at least get me through the birth and if so would they have a waiting period for maternity benefits or would the fact that I have been insured by them (and still technically am seeing as payment was made) count against any waiting period clause they may have.

Any advice would be appricated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 23rd, 2007
You won’t be able to get a private policy until after you deliver. Your COBRA benefits should have remained the same and through the same company for up to 18 months, depending on how long you kept it. Just because your employer switched, doesn’t mean you should have.

Question: Did you fill out a COBRA packet, or did your employer just keep you on his policy as though you were a full time employee?
|

replied October 29th, 2007
I Have a Solution.
I sent you a private message.
|