Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

the Disappearing Twin (Page 1)

Has anyone ever heard of a disappearing twin, or had this happen to them? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper NicoleF
|

replied March 20th, 2004
Experienced User
I've never had this happen to me, but I have heard that sometimes you have twins, and one just stops developing and just absorbs back in to the body. I'm sure there are tons of websites you could research this on, or even ask your doctor. Good luck!

~kate~
|

replied March 23rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I was wondering why you asked?
|

replied March 23rd, 2004
Experienced User
I was asking because at 7 weeks I had an ultrasound done confirming 2 sacs. One without a heartbeat to be seen. I was told to expect bleeding, that the one without the heartbeat would "take care of itself". Now at 18 weeks along, no bleeding. I am really big for 4 months and am wondering if maybe it was just too early to detect a heartbeat in both. I go for another ultrasound april 11th and I suppose ill find out then for sure.
|

replied March 24th, 2004
Experienced User
I had to go for an early ultrasound due to alot of cramping. Only one baby to be seen. Sad the tech said that sometimes only one of the two makes it and your body simply absorbs the other. Sad to see only one, but thrilled to see one. Seeing that heartbeat was amazing. Absolutly amazing. April 11th.... Ill find out if shes a girl or boy. Cant wait!!!!
|

replied March 27th, 2004
Experienced User
Instinct???
I am sooo excited for you! Do you have a feeling that you know if it's a boy or girl? Whenever I am pregnant, I just know when I get to be about 3 months. I normally crave spicy if it's a boy, and sweet when it's a girl. Well, let us know!!! Take care!

~kate~

|

replied March 30th, 2004
Experienced User
My instinct tells me it is a boy. But ive only craved sweets!(not good for the waist Wink ) I would like a little girl, but healthy is the only wish I truly have. Hopefully we'll find out for sure on the 11th. Ill keep you posted!!!
|

replied March 31st, 2004
Twins!!
I am expecting twins, and am very scared that when I go for my next scan that there will only be one heart beat!! We found out at an early scan at 8 weeks, and I have another scan in 2 weeks!!! Fingers crossed!!! How did you feel when they said that there was only 1 heartbeat??

I will keep you posted!!

Danielle
|

replied April 1st, 2004
Experienced User
I was a little disappointed, okay reaaallly disappointed. But at my first ultrasound they couldnt find a second heartbeat, only a second sac. So I was expecting something to happen. If you have two heartbeats it looks good that you are having two babies. Thats so exciting. I hope all is well as im sure it is. Dont stress...Enjoy!! And keep me posted.
|

replied April 2nd, 2004
Fingers Crossed!!
I am so nervous about this whole pregnancy!!! And will let you know when I have been back for my next scan!! Hows your little bubba doing?
|

replied April 2nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I was watching a program about a baby ending up growing in another baby, and one about a baby that had no life (heart, organs, brain) but fed off the other twin, which can cause problems for the living twin. Make sure this isn't the cause cause the "parasite" (the non living twin) can cause problems for your living twin.

*fingers crossed*

jennifer Laughing
|

replied April 2nd, 2004
Experienced User
Disappearing Twin
I have not heard of this, but on a cable station I saw a report of a baby that had its twin inside of them.
|

replied April 4th, 2004
Bleeding @ 11 Weeks!
I wa taken into hospital with bleeding last night!!! And was terrified!! Quite alot of it too......Was first told that I was experiencing a threatening miscarriage!! However was given an ultrasound to be told that they are both there and had very strong heartbeats!! Still bleeding though and very worried so keep your fingers crossed for me and I will keep you posted!!! I have been told to take some rest so thats what I shall do!! Sad
|

replied April 6th, 2004
Experienced User
I will definatly keep my fingers crossed for you. Take care and get lots of rest. Keep me posted for sure.
|

replied April 6th, 2004
Both Twins Doing Well!
Had another scan done today, to be told that all is ok, but my both placentas are lying low, which is what they think caused the bleeding!! Saw both bubbas moving around with heartbeats going strong!! What a relief!! They were able to say what sex they think they are, although at this early stage they have been known to get it wrong!!! 1 boy and 1 girl!!! Arhhhhhhhh!!!! So exciting!!!! Feel happier tonight!!!! Hows it all going with you you nicole?

Will keep you posted!!

Danielle :d
|

replied April 6th, 2004
Experienced User
Im sooo glad to hear everything is well with the babes. That would be so cool, one boy one girl. I go for my next ultrasound next sunday. Easter sunday. We're going to find out what we're having and I cant wait. Besides the unbelievable heartburn and backaches all is well with me too. Im feeling her(?) kick more and more as the days go on. What a long process though. 20 weeks....1/2 way there!!! Again I am so happy that everything is okay with the babies. Still, get lots of rest and take care of you and yours. Keep me updated!!
|

replied April 7th, 2004
Twins!
I hope that your scan goes well and that all is ok with your little baby!! I feel sure he/she will be fine! Its all so exciting, you must let me know how you get on....We have another scan on the 16th april, and i'm sooooo looking forward to seeing them again. Everything seems to of settled down at my end so hopefully this week was a warning to slow down!!! Got my first pair of maternity trousers today!!!! My belly is starting to grow!!

Take care of yourself! And the wee one!!

Danielle :d
|

replied September 23rd, 2005
I'm in a similar situation. I'm 7 1/2 weeks pregnant. Thursday morning I woke up bleeding. I've had 2 previous miscarriages so I went to the er. They finally decided that I may, not sure, have an ectopic or tubal pregnancy. But half out of it in the morning I think I seem to remember them mumbling to each other about two sacs... I am not quite sure it was really early. I was wondering if you can go through the symptoms of a miscarriage but still carry the second child... Assuming I am pregnant with twins. They couldn't tell on the ultrasound because they didn't use the fancy one so for all I know when they said that they didn't see the baby, it may be that it's too small, right??? Anybody have a clue?
|

User Profile
replied September 24th, 2005
Community Volunteer
My doc says I had that as when my water broke, there was another bag to be broken, meaning I had 2 amniotic sacs. I was pretty big throughout my pregnancy too!
|

replied September 24th, 2005
Experienced User
My aunt was told she only had one baby though out her whole pg and she had twins. One baby can be hiding behind the other just a touch smaller. Also they could have sycronized heartbeats where you would only hear one heartbeat instead of 2. Thats what my aunts babys did and she was suprized when she had 2 so was the doc.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...