I have a question for ANYONE who may have some knowledge of seniors, who are diabetic... My mother (85) is diabetic. She has recently been diagnosed with the beginning stages of Parkinson's disease. She recently has started vomitting (very violently) with really no warning. She does not get nausious, ot sick to her stomach. She doesnt get stomach aches before, it just comes upon her suddenly. My father has tried to determine what might be causing this. He's taken her off her Parkinsons medication, thinking that could be the cause of it...But that was not...We're think it could be stress related, but not sure... If anyone has any info/insight, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Diabetic Senior Vomitting
RickMoore wrote:
I have a question for ANYONE who may have some knowledge of seniors, who are diabetic... My mother (85) is diabetic. She has recently been diagnosed with the beginning stages of Parkinson's disease. She recently has started vomitting (very violently) with really no warning. She does not get nausious, ot sick to her stomach. She doesnt get stomach aches before, it just comes upon her suddenly. My father has tried to determine what might be causing this. He's taken her off her Parkinsons medication, thinking that could be the cause of it...But that was not...We're think it could be stress related, but not sure... If anyone has any info/insight, we'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

What kind of medication she is taking? If she takes levodopa, which is by the way the most effective therapy for motor symptoms, nausea and vomiting are the most common side effects. That's happening due to accumulation of dopamine in the bloodstream.
|

replied September 1st, 2007
Re: Diabetic Senior Vomitting
RickMoore wrote:

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 16 years and if I am vomiting it is usually because my blood sugar levels have been out of control for too long. Diabetes and stomach problems have seem to go hand in hand with me. In my case, I had been having problems with gastroperisis, which is something you might want to ask the doctor about. Have your mother's readings been running high? If she has been having high blood sugar, then that could be a huge factor with her stomach problems.
|

replied October 8th, 2007
Diabetes Information
I would have to agree with Rick. To me it seems like your mothers blood sugar levels are out of control. I would make sure that your mother is testing properly and that she is understanding what exactly she is testing. One place that I found for good information for diabetic seniors is www.diabeticseniors.com. This is a good place to find out facts for treating diabetes complications for diabetic seniors caregivers and diabetic seniors.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
It could be due to diabetes,intracranial tumor or uremia. Psychogenic cause is at the bottom of list.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.