Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Chantix - stop smoking / Questions

I don't like asking questions on the internet, but sometimes it's the only way to get some answers on a new medication:
Ok, so has anyone tried Chantix to stop smoking?
If so, does it work and how well and for how long?
Does it make you nauseas or have stomach problems?
Are there any weird effects I should know about that isn't in the prescribing information?
Does insurance cover Chantix?
Also, I take Adderall XR, I want to know if anyone taking a stimulant medication has taken Chantix with it?
Thank you.
Any [positive] Chantix experience replies would be nice. : )
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 29th, 2007
no side affects other than you dont want a cig and the pills dont make you gain weight however the taste bubs will come back strong and things will taste and smell better.
|

replied March 4th, 2008
on 50mg of regular generic adderall a day and recently was taking chantix. yes for me the first day or 2 on the chantix only had one negative side effect witch clear up extremely fast. after my first 2 doses about 15 minutes later i would get a very very sick to my stomache feeling boderline wanting to vomit but this passed within 10 minutes not to return (unless i stopped taking the chantix for a few days but when i started back up it once again only happened on the first dose) no efect on my adderall was noticed and if you really wish to loose the desire to smoke then chantix is the way to go. the best part is that if you slip and smoke while on chantix you actually just want to throw the cigarette because it really doesnt do anything for you (chantix blocks nicotine receptors in the brain so even if you smoke it wont be absorbed but after a few cigarettes you'll find that you really just wont want them anymore) i know my insurance covered them as i'm on perm disability but overall they work and if you can deal with an upset stomache for 10 minutes one time then you'll be fine and smoke free.
|

replied March 7th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Chantix to me is the best thing they could have ever came out with. 12 week cycle and you are done. The second week I found the erdge was just about gone already. I is a great drug if you can take it. There are other things out there as I am sure you know. I personally after almost 40 years found none of them worked for me.

Carrie
|

replied July 1st, 2010
Sensation in teeth
Hi,

Chantix is a wonder drug, it worked for me. Its been almost 3 months now since i left smoking.

I took Chantix for 2 months and since then i havent touched cigratte but i have this funny sensation in my teeth all the time, has anyone else felt the same thing??
|

User Profile
replied October 15th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its not recommended now days.
You can try bupropion.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Addiction, Recovery , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.