I am 31 years old, no history of breast cancer or lymphoma in my family. I felt a lump under my armpit and immediately went to my doctor. He sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound and to a surgeon.
The mammogram and ultrasound both came back negative. The surgeon felt the lump, did another ultrasound and told me it would probably go away, and that it did not look like cancer. Three months later it is still here and my insurance company approved me for an MRI (after the surgeon wrote a prescription for it). The MRI came back negative, no sign of cancer.

The surgeon says with all those tests it is probably not cancer, but we could do a biopsy just to see what it is. Should I get a biopsy? I don't want to have a bunch of unnecessary tests but I do want to figure out what this thing under my armpit is. What else could it be, if not cancer? I doubt a swollen lymph node would be around this long (3 months)...right?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Lump Under Armpit
caseyk wrote:
I am 31 years old, no history of breast cancer or lymphoma in my family. I felt a lump under my armpit and immediately went to my doctor. He sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound and to a surgeon.
The mammogram and ultrasound both came back negative. The surgeon felt the lump, did another ultrasound and told me it would probably go away, and that it did not look like cancer. Three months later it is still here and my insurance company approved me for an MRI (after the surgeon wrote a prescription for it). The MRI came back negative, no sign of cancer.

The surgeon says with all those tests it is probably not cancer, but we could do a biopsy just to see what it is. Should I get a biopsy? I don't want to have a bunch of unnecessary tests but I do want to figure out what this thing under my armpit is. What else could it be, if not cancer? I doubt a swollen lymph node would be around this long (3 months)...right?

Usually, infections are the main reason for swollen lymph node. Even trivial and inapparent infections can cause it. If your node is soft and tender is probably some infection, but if it's hard, unmovable, non-tender then you should be more concerned. Also, you need to be aware that sometimes breast cancer can enlarge the armpit lymph nodes even when the breast itself seems perfectly normal. The biopsy has the last word and it'll ease your mind. So, please, don't wait. Take that test and you'll know for sure.

Thinking of you!
|

replied October 28th, 2009
lump in arm pit
I was wondering if caseyk had the biopsy and if the lump went away or what it was? I have a similar situation.
|
Must Read
Breast cancer kills more women in the United States than any cancer except lung cancer. But what types of breast cancer are possible?...
Why do some women get breast cancer and others don't? Click here to learn what risks you can avoid....
Do you know the warning signs for breast cancer? When should you see your doctor about possible breast cancer symptoms? More information here....