Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Can They Be Wrong About Weeks Of Pregnancy?

I've had an abortion a few months ago, and they told me I was 6 weeks pregnant. In my oppinion that was impossible because i had no intercourse in the period i should've gotten pregnant. I could've only been a 4 weeks pregnancy. My period is messed up so they based it on the ultrasound pics. Could it be a big baby and they have been wrong? It's really confusing to me..... if they were right....i should see a psychiatrist....cuz I might have serious amnesia....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 16th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Can They Be Wrong?
Nitchka wrote:
I've had an abortion a few months ago, and they told me I was 6 weeks pregnant. In my oppinion that was impossible because i had no intercourse in the period i should've gotten pregnant. I could've only been a 4 weeks pregnancy. My period is messed up so they based it on the ultrasound pics. Could it be a big baby and they have been wrong? It's really confusing to me..... if they were right....i should see a psychiatrist....cuz I might have serious amnesia....

Do you know how to calculate pregnancy? The dates they use are from the first day of your LAST PERIOD. Which usually is approximately 2 weeks prior to when you conceive (have sex).

Although it is rare to be wrong by that much in early pregnancy, it can happen.

Does it matter now?
|

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Nitchka wrote:

Early ultrasounds are usually the most accurate in dating a pregnancy.You could have ovulated sooner than 14 days after your period, which could cause you to have been farther along. But like Ingi said, does it really matter anymore how far along you were since you already had an abortion and got rid of the baby. I don't know your situation for why you had that procedure done, but I think you should have figured this situation out beforehand. Confused
|

replied August 17th, 2007
Do you know how to calculate pregnancy? The dates they use are from the first day of your LAST PERIOD. Which usually is approximately 2 weeks prior to when you conceive (have sex).

Does it matter now?[/quote]

I'm having hormonal problems so my last period was 7 months before the whole thing! and YES I KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE MY PREGNANCY! If it wasn't something unusual I wouldn't be here posting this! And yes it matters, it matters to me! Just so u know, I used protection everytime I had sex, BUT I HAD NO SEX FOR MONTHS ! it's like a mistery.... And I don't need you to judge me! I had to do it, and I don't need to explain my reasons! I thought people would try to help here, not to treat me like a child who knows nothing about her body and read absolutely nothing! Thanks anyway!
|

Especially eHealthy
Nitchka wrote:

Does it matter now?

I'm having hormonal problems so my last period was 7 months before the whole thing! and YES I KNOW HOW TO CALCULATE MY PREGNANCY! If it wasn't something unusual I wouldn't be here posting this! And yes it matters, it matters to me! Just so u know, I used protection everytime I had sex, BUT I HAD NO SEX FOR MONTHS ! it's like a mistery.... And I don't need you to judge me! I had to do it, and I don't need to explain my reasons! I thought people would try to help here, not to treat me like a child who knows nothing about her body and read absolutely nothing! Thanks anyway![/quote]

Actually I did help. Don't be ignorant and read other things into it.

BTW, the word is mYstery.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
What Ingi was trying to explain is that when a doctor says you are six weeks pregnant, the fetus is actually only four weeks. So if you had sex aobut four weeks before that ultrasound then yes you would have been six weeks at the time. She wasn't trying to offend you but attempted to inform you.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I just wanted to say that I wasn't judging you or anything, I just asked "does it matter". I said that I don't know your story, so I have no reason to judge. Sorry if I offended you and hope everything works out for you.
|

User Profile
Supporter
please do not take your anger out on people that are just trying to help you
be nice if you do not like the advice or answers then do not reply back.
|

replied August 22nd, 2007
Thank you for your help! I'm sorry if I offended anybody! The problem is that the doctor said the baby was concieved in the period that i haven't had sex at all... And I tried to explain that it is impossible but it was like talking to the walls. It is very important, because it's not logical and I'm thinking about maybe something happened when I was sleeping.....I was living in an apartment with many people..... Anyways, thank again.
|

replied August 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Nitchka wrote:
Thank you for your help! I'm sorry if I offended anybody! The problem is that the doctor said the baby was concieved in the period that i haven't had sex at all... And I tried to explain that it is impossible but it was like talking to the walls. It is very important, because it's not logical and I'm thinking about maybe something happened when I was sleeping.....I was living in an apartment with many people..... Anyways, thank again.

I'm sorry to hear about that. However, I would think they didn't take a lot of time to do the dating since you were having an abortion. Generally when they do that, they are looking for the dates. The absolute soonest they can do an abortion is 6 weeks so...

As far as something happening when you were sleeping, that is scary. Do you often sleep so soundly that someone could do that?

Sperm can live for up to 5 days inside you. Add that to dating problems and they could be off by a week - but it sounds like you are talking more than that.

At this point, you won't be able to do anything about it. Keep your bedroom door locked.

Good luck.
|

replied August 24th, 2007
Confusion
I have a question of my own. My last period was on march 18th and on may 8th I found out I was pregnant after 4 years of trying. That day I went to the hospital because I had spotting and cramps and they told me I was pregnant and they did an ultrasound and at the time I was 6wk 1day. I cheated on my boyfriend once and I am confuse who is the father of my baby boy? My boyfriend and I was having regular intercourse and the day I cheated on him was on April 16th at midnight ( the 17th ) My due date is dec 31st. May 8th I was 6wk 1dy.....June 1st I was 9wk 3dy and the last one I had was on Aug 17th I was 21wk. So when did I conceive is it my boyfriends or the other guy that happen just once on April 16th. My periods are very irregular too. PLease Help!!!!!
|

User Profile
replied August 24th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Re: Confusion
lchica23 wrote:
I have a question of my own. My last period was on march 18th and on may 8th I found out I was pregnant after 4 years of trying. That day I went to the hospital because I had spotting and cramps and they told me I was pregnant and they did an ultrasound and at the time I was 6wk 1day. I cheated on my boyfriend once and I am confuse who is the father of my baby boy? My boyfriend and I was having regular intercourse and the day I cheated on him was on April 16th at midnight ( the 17th ) My due date is dec 31st. May 8th I was 6wk 1dy.....June 1st I was 9wk 3dy and the last one I had was on Aug 17th I was 21wk. So when did I conceive is it my boyfriends or the other guy that happen just once on April 16th. My periods are very irregular too. PLease Help!!!!!

please make a new topic about your dilemma. the only way to know for sure is to take a dna test when your child is born
|

User Profile
replied August 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Can They Be Wrong About Weeks of Pregnancy?
Nitchka wrote:

Okay, they said you were 6 weeks, because according to the 40weeks=full term, the first two weeks, you are not pregnant. So you were right you were only pregnant for 4 weeks. They obviously went from the first day of your last period, which was 6 weeks. If you have any questions, go here

http://health.discovery.com/centers/infant -toddler/babyplanner/babyplanner.html

~Lilly
|

replied October 8th, 2007
Re: Can They Be Wrong About Weeks of Pregnancy?
Thank you very much for your help!
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...