Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

my 10 year old has behavior and speech problems !

I am having problems with my 10 year old. She gets very upset if you get on to her. If you ask her why she has done something she breaks into tears apologizing. She doesn't however give explanations. The next time she says because she wants or doesn't want to. She will then cop with "I hate it here!" She has many other strange behaviors such as constantly organizing different types of playing cards. This goes on all day long. She flat refuses to do any type of physical activity. She will sit and stare at you for long periods of time bulging her eyes or just squinting and blinking them over and over and over again. She has speech problems. The speech teacher says she is about to test out of speech because she does great in class but the second she leaves she starts all over again with poor speech. She refuses to do homework. She simply writes down answers unless you go through each problem individually with her. Instead of reading books she "reads" the pictures. I am just at such a loss. No matter what you ask of her she flat refuses. She only plays with younger kids for the most part (4 and 5 year olds) and bullies all that she plays with. She only likes playing games such as house, or school, or even cops but only if she is in charge. I am at such a loss. She has been in group counseling for almost 4 months and nothing is changing. If anything else it is getting worse. She is getting worse by the day. We are getting back results from a psychological assessment on Thursday but I am not sure it is all behavioral. I live in Oklahoma and don't know of many resources. Please help me!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 15th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hey
i pm d you ---take a look at it. alot can be applied to the homework as well. good luck and let me know how it goes. im here for you.
|

replied September 1st, 2007
Re: My 10 Year Old Has Behavior And Speech Problems !
candicole wrote:
I am having problems with my 10 year old. She gets very upset if you get on to her. If you ask her why she has done something she breaks into tears apologizing. She doesn't however give explanations. The next time she says because she wants or doesn't want to. She will then cop with "I hate it here!" She has many other strange behaviors such as constantly organizing different types of playing cards. This goes on all day long. She flat refuses to do any type of physical activity. She will sit and stare at you for long periods of time bulging her eyes or just squinting and blinking them over and over and over again. She has speech problems. The speech teacher says she is about to test out of speech because she does great in class but the second she leaves she starts all over again with poor speech. She refuses to do homework. She simply writes down answers unless you go through each problem individually with her. Instead of reading books she "reads" the pictures. I am just at such a loss. No matter what you ask of her she flat refuses. She only plays with younger kids for the most part (4 and 5 year olds) and bullies all that she plays with. She only likes playing games such as house, or school, or even cops but only if she is in charge. I am at such a loss. She has been in group counseling for almost 4 months and nothing is changing. If anything else it is getting worse. She is getting worse by the day. We are getting back results from a psychological assessment on Thursday but I am not sure it is all behavioral. I live in Oklahoma and don't know of many resources. Please help me!

The emotianal issues, repetitive behavior, speach problems etc.
This sounds like Autism. Theres nothing more to then to wait for that assessment.
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with behavioural disorder. Continue counselling sessions. He can also take low dose antipsychotic and mood stabilizer.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Autism , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.