Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Multivitiman Making Me Sick?

I recently started taking the GNC Ultra Mega Womens Multi Vitamin. The first 3 weeks were fine. Then starting late 3rd week I was having horrible rib pains and pains under my shoulder blades almost daily. I forgot that the multi was new and never mentioned it to the dr. The ran a ton of tests on me - gallbladder, etc. Next step was to see a GI - I had been diagnosed about 10 years ago w/ GERD and IBS. For some reason last week I decided to stop the multi vitamin and low and behold the pain is going away. I called and left a message w/ the dr today and let them know that I thought the multi was causing distress.

Any thoughts of WHAT was causing distress? There's a lot of stuff in those pills - below is the list along with the RDA.

Vitamin A (50% as beta-Carotene; 50% as Retinyl Acetate) 5000.00 IU 100%
Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid & Calcium Ascorbate) 200.00 mg 333%
Vitamin D (as Cholecalciferol) 400.00 IU 100%
Vitamin E (as Natural d-alpha Tocopheryl Acetate) 100.00 IU 333%
Vitamin K (Phytonadione) 80.00 mcg 100%
Thiamin (Vitamin B-1)(as Thiamin Mononitrate) 80.00 mg 5333%
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2) 80.00 mg 4706%
Niacin 35.00 mg 175%
Vitamin B-6 (as Pyridoxine Hydrochloride) 80.00 mg 4000%
Folic Acid 400.00 mcg 100%
Vitamin B12 (as Cyanocobalamin) 80.00 mcg 1333%
Biotin 300.00 mcg 100%
Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium d-Pantothenate) 80.00 mg 800%
Calcium (as Calcium Carbonate Calcium Citrate Malate & Dicalcium Phosphate 500.00 mg 50%
Iron (as Ferrous Fumarate) 18.00 mg 100%
Iodine (as Potassium Iodide) 150.00 mcg 100%
Magnesium (as Magnesium Oxide) 250.00 mg 63%
Zinc (as Zinc Oxide) 15.00 mg 100%
Selenium (as Hydrolyzed Protein Chelate) 200.00 mcg 286%
Copper (as Copper Glycinate) 2.00 mg 100%
Manganese (as Manganese Sulfate) 2.00 mg 100%
Chromium (as Hydrolyzed Protein Chelate and Chromium Picolinate) 120.00 mcg 100%
Molybdenum (as Sodium Molybdate) 75.00 mcg 100%
Antioxidant Fruit and Vegetable Blend 105.00 mg
Citrus Bioflavonoids Complex
Orange Fruit Powder
Papaya Fruit Powder
Carrot Powder
Spinach Powder
Pineapple Fruit Powder
Soy Powder
Cauliflower Powder
Bilberry Fruit Powder
Elderberry Fruit Powder
Black Currant Fruit Powder
Blueberry Fruit Powder
Apple Fruit Powder
Grape Pulp Powder
Kiwi Fruit Powder
Raspberry Fruit Powder
Broccoli Powder
Brussels Sprouts Powder
Kale Powder
alpha-Lipoic Acid 25.00 mg
Choline (as Choline Bitartrate) 10.00 mg
Green Tea Leaves Extract (Camellia sinensis) 10.00 mg
Cranberry Concentrate (Vaccinium macrocarpon) 10.00 mg
Inositol 10.00 mg
Silica 4.00 mg
Boron (as Hydrolyzed Protein Chelate) 2.00 mg
Lycopene 950.00 mcg
Lutein (as lutein esters) 950.00 mcg
Zeaxanthin 50.00 mcg
Astaxanthin (Haematococcus pluvialis) 50.00 mcg
Vanadium (as Sodium Metavanadate) 10.00 mcg
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gc90210
|

replied August 22nd, 2007
Yes, Gnc Caused Me the Same Side Effects !
Yes, I can totally sympathize with you, and relate. I had the exact same experience with the Gnc Ultra womens vitamins. I was fine for the first couple of wks, then I started having terrible muscle, back, rib, and chest pain. It felt like pain deep inside. It felt like deep in the bone or muscle, possibly nerves. It finally subsided when I stopped the vitamins. I am glad I am not alone with these side effects. Yours sound just like mine. I have also taken other vitamins, which are not nearly as strong as the GNC, just barely over the rda on some vitamins, and rda on others, and have been having muscle, nerve pain as well.
|

User Profile
replied September 9th, 2007
Large doses of vitamins can sometimes cause serious and unpleasant side effects. You should stay away from that brand IMO. You can always consult with your doctor and try some product with lesser amounts of vitamins.
|

replied October 8th, 2007
hi. this happens to me if i take it without a meal. def. take it with food. also certain vitamins like niacin cause a reaction for me but my body adjusts after a week.
|

replied December 20th, 2007
Gnc Women's Ultra Mega Menopause Vitapak Gave Me Back Pain
I have unusual upper back pain. I think it may be caused by the GNC Vita pak. I thought I pulled a muscle!!! I became very stiff. I also have been experiencing very SHARP gas pain in my chest. I stopped taking the pills and I got better. Then I took the pak again yesterday, and now my symptoms are slowly coming back. Im glad I found your post. Thanks. Do you think GNC will give me back my money?

Carol
|

replied December 23rd, 2007
Retrograde Ejaculation
low sperm count and unsatisfactory ejaculation. which vitamins should I use?
|

replied February 28th, 2008
GNC Vitamins
Actually I had that experience with a Centrum vitamin because my body wasn't absorbing it. Centrum is synthetic. GNC vitamins work very well for me as long as I take it with food, as you are supposed to. Your vitamin absorbs and breaks down better with food. You should go get the capsule GNC Women's Ultra Mega because it takes 4 pills to equal two regular. Therefore, if you take two, you will only get half the dose. Try it, and you will see better results.
As for the vitapak causing back pain. There is no way possible the vitapak could cause your back pain. What vitapak were you taking?
|

replied March 12th, 2008
better than vitamins
Go for naturalm, non-synthetic vitamins. I just started with Nureicell and I feel great. Me and my wife feel stronger and better. Im an advocate of nutural and organic foos and supplements. I suggest that you go for natural sources of whole food supplements if you can't get it from really fresh sources like fruits and vegetables
|

replied March 14th, 2008
Experienced User
I agree with some of the other posts. Your first step should be to make sure you take them with food. They will absorb much better. If you are still having the issues, I would stop taking that particular product, but don't give up on vitamins. You just need to find the right one for your body. Everyone is different. If you are serious about finding a supplement, look for something that is pharmaceutical grade.
|

replied May 26th, 2008
I have been using a Daily for Life pack that contains a multivitamin and much more through my wellness company. I previously used GNC multivitamin for women but NEVER felt any different - NOW I do. I have been using my companies for 2 years now and can say - they DO make a difference. I even had my husband start them - he has never taken a vitamin and HE can tell a difference when he forgets to take them Smile Yippie
|

replied February 9th, 2009
Vitapaks
I just started taking the Wellness Program Vitapak from GNC. I am starting to feel great, but I've found that I've been "gasier" lately. Has anyone else been experiencing the same problems? Or is my sudden change due to something else?
|

replied May 6th, 2009
burnt tongue and bed wetting!
I'd been on the GNC Mega Vitamin for women for 10 days when I woke up with burnt tongue syndrome AND I had wet the bed -- I'm 38 years old! BTS causes your tongue to feel like you scalded it, even though you haven't been near any hot liquids in days. It hurt and the tip of my tongue was red and inflamed. (I had the same thing happen after taking anti-malaria pills for 2 weeks last year). Anyway, I stopped taking those vitamins right away and my tongue was back to normal in 2 days...And I'm not wetting the bed. Anybody else have this happen?

It's a reaction to the vitamins!
|

replied December 28th, 2009
Honesty Should be everybody's Prioity !!!!
Yes you can get your money back, GNC has a full money back guarantee on the products box, no later than 30days, but on the box it says as little 10days of use. I suggest you save the web page on their site that mention that fact before they change it!!
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2010
There is much more in these supplements that any normal person should consume. Most people don't require this much of each vitamin/mineral. In some cases, you don't need any quantity of certain ingredients.

There are about 15 ingredients in here that could be the cause of your stomach pain. If you are looking for a good supplement that isn't more than you need, I recommend trying Lavada to all of my female clients.

Anytime you experience discomfort of a negative effect from taking any supplement, discontinue immediately!

I hope this helps you and anyone else taking supplements.
|

replied May 3rd, 2012
Can a person take Lavada with any other supplement like the Nuriecell?
|

replied February 5th, 2010
GNC is a low-end brand
GNC vitamins are not known to be the best quality . . . they are chock full of "other" ingredients and excipients. Stay with quality companies and never buy vitamins because of the convenience factor of going into a store. Buy them because they are natural, or have no chemicals, no "Mag stearate" etc.
|

replied July 15th, 2012
GNC Women's Ultra menopause
I am menopausal and was having issues with hot flashes, so I started taking GNC Women's Ultra Menopause for 3 mos when I started bleeding. I visited my GYN, and it turns out I have complex hyperplasia without atypia caused by increase estrogen without progestogen levels.
The menopause formula increased estrogen production thus resulting in overgrowth of the endometrium. I believe that there should have been a warning on the product. Has this happened to others?
|

replied March 30th, 2015
Something not right w/GNC Womans Ultara Mega Energy/Metabolism
GNC- Womans Ultra Mega Energy and Metabolism vitamims. I have been taking for over 2 weeks, first week felt great and only began with 1 vitamin a day. This week I wake up with the worst foot/leg cramps, back pain and abdominal cramping with spotting for a week. I've never had this pain before but after reading all the forums I am going to stop taking these vitamins. The pain is not worth the energy and/or weight loss.
|

replied October 3rd, 2016
GNC Mega Energy and Metabolism
The GNC Mega Energy and Metabolism has 25mg of B6 which is TOO HIGH for anyone to take. We only need 2mg daily to meet the daily allowance. You are going to cause nerve damage and potentially cause paralysis. This is a very dangerous dose of B6. This is why you are having back pain, muscle pain, etc. If you stop this now the effects will reverse. Taking 1250% of B6 is beyond me. I don't know how they are allowed to sell this.
|