Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Petechiae On Legs of Infant

My five month old son has petechiae (pinprick sized dots) on his legs, which have come and go over the last month. He is asymptomatic otherwise. Our pediatric dermatologist has guessed the cause is viral , but wants to do a biopsy to rule out serious disease. She said other children in northern NJ were exhibiting similar symptoms, which she had never seen previously in her 20 years of practice. My baby's bloodwork count came back normal for platelets and blood cell counts, but slightly abnormally shaped, possibly indicating a virus. I do not want to do a biopsy unless absolutely essential. Any ideas? I can provide pictures to you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 12th, 2007
Experienced User
i have only heard that a lot of the problems infants have can fade as they age

...although if the docs don't know it maybe difficult to determin that
|

replied August 14th, 2009
I know this is years later. What was the outcome? My son has the same thing, he is 11 weeks old.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
Hi, my daughter has the same thing. What happened to your children? Are they ok?
|

replied June 15th, 2011
Hi, my daughter has the same thing. What happened to your children? Are they ok?
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its viral. ESR should be done initially. If its high then biopsy should be done to rule out vasculitis.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.