Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Church Cancels Memorial Service...homophobia In Action (Page 1)

User Profile
Another reason not to move to Texas...sorry, Texan friends:

ARLINGTON, Texas - A megachurch canceled a memorial service for a Navy veteran 24 hours before it was to start because the deceased was gay.

Officials at the nondenominational High Point Church knew that Cecil Howard Sinclair was gay when they offered to host his service, said his sister, Kathleen Wright. But after his obituary listed his life partner as one of his survivors, she said, it was called off.

“It’s a slap in the face. It’s like, ’Oh, we’re sorry he died, but he’s gay so we can’t help you,”’ she said Friday.

Wright said High Point offered to hold the service for Sinclair because their brother is a janitor there. Sinclair, who served in the first Gulf War, died Monday at age 46 from an infection after surgery to prepare him for a heart transplant.

The church’s pastor, the Rev. Gary Simons, said no one knew Sinclair, who was not a church member, was gay until the day before the Thursday service, when staff members putting together his video tribute saw pictures of men “engaging in clear affection, kissing and embracing.”

Simons said the church believes homosexuality is a sin, and it would have appeared to endorse that lifestyle if the service had been held there.

“We did decline to host the service — not based on hatred, not based on discrimination, but based on principle,” Simons told The Associated Press. “Had we known it on the day they first spoke about it — yes, we would have declined then. It’s not that we didn’t love the family.”

Simons said the decision had nothing to do with the obituary. He said the church offered to pay for another site for the service, made the video and provided food for more than 100 relatives and friends.

“Even though we could not condone that lifestyle, we went above and beyond for the family through many acts of love and kindness,” Simons said.

Wright called the church’s claim about the pictures “a bold-faced lie.” She said she provided numerous family pictures of Sinclair, including some with his partner, but said none showed men kissing or hugging.

The 5,000-member High Point Church was founded in 2000 by Simons and his wife, April, whose brother is Joel Osteen, well-known pastor of the 38,000-member Lakewood Church in Houston. Now High Point meets in a 432,000-square-foot facility in Arlington, near Dallas.

Wright said relatives declined the church’s offer to hold the service at a community center because they felt it was an inappropriate venue. It ultimately was held at a funeral home, but the cancellation still lingered in some minds, she said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20221295/
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 11th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
thats so messed up Sad

ugh i hate this state!!!!!
|

replied August 12th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I can understand the church's position on this one and I'm surprised anyone expects any different from such an organisation. It is widely known that the Christian church opposes homosexuality and so the discovery that this gentleman was gay put them in a difficult position. It would be like expecting some Nazis to conduct a Jewish funeral - inappropriate.

And yes, I am comparing the Christian church to Nazis Wink
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
well it's interesting that the church would judge someone for being gay, when I thought they weren't supposed to judge at all, hmm.
|

Especially eHealthy
Jules wrote:
I can understand the church's position on this one and I'm surprised anyone expects any different from such an organisation. It is widely known that the Christian church opposes homosexuality and so the discovery that this gentleman was gay put them in a difficult position. It would be like expecting some Nazis to conduct a Jewish funeral - inappropriate.

yeah but whatever happend to "love thy neighbor" and "god loves everyone no matter who they are or what they do or have done"

Confused
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
the_girlfreind wrote:
Jules wrote:

yeah but whatever happend to "love thy neighbor" and "god loves everyone no matter who they are or what they do or have done"

Confused

It's !**@!, that's what. Religious people don't want to do that because they think they are better than others.

And yeah, I just made a sweeping generalization, that I completely believe.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
The dude worked at the church.

Denying a dead guy his funeral because of who he slept with aligns these "nondenominational" churchgoes with the Fred Phelp's Crazy Camp. I hope there were some members of the church who heard this and got fed up and left.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
isn't that discrimination? can't they get in trouble for that?
|

Experienced User
its hard for me to believe they can. I am catholic and went to a perocial (I can't spell) school, there was a kid who in his senior who came out as gay. They tried to kick him out of the school and church there was major law suit. It ruled in the kids favor saying that it was discrimination.
|

Experienced User
It is also hard for me to believe that they did not know. He worked there I am sure they had suspicions...
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
HcoBrunette06 wrote:
isn't that discrimination? can't they get in trouble for that?

Churches are not bound by the same laws that public and many private institutions are, even though they receive non-profit status and are recipients of corporate welfare (in the means of receiving grants and other public monies).

Off topic a little, and I am not sure about other areas, but I know in Cincinnati only very recently was a law passed that included sexual orientation as a protected status. I think it was legal up until 2003 or 2005 to deny someone a job/housing/etc. just because they were gay/lesbian.
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Ugh this is sick SICK SICK! Why why why is it OK to deny a funeral service to someone who died, based on the fact that they were gay. And if a funeral WERE To take place, it should be a celebration of his life, regardless of how he lived it.

I am completely "Angered Off" by this! Evil or Very Mad
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Complete f*king bullsh*t. This kind of stuff SERIOUSLY makes me see red. It's sick. That poor family.
|

Experienced User
My church wouldnt turn down anyone who lives in sin.
We would love on them and hopefully they would choose to follow God and his word.

Many in our church are drinkers and even worse, but they are welcomed open-arms. We dont accept their sin. But hope through the preaching of Gods word they would repent.
|

User Profile
Religion is such a crock of (edited for profanity) It's hilarious.
|

"I can understand the church's position on this one and I'm surprised anyone expects any different from such an organisation. It is widely known that the Christian church opposes homosexuality and so the discovery that this gentleman was gay put them in a difficult position. It would be like expecting some Nazis to conduct a Jewish funeral - inappropriate.

And yes, I am comparing the Christian church to Nazis "

Thats a bit harsh dont you think, seeing as you have only one side of the coin to make your judgement. I work for a Church a large Christian Church I think you probably will guess which one and I dont know what denomination this guy didnt get burried at but that is mattless.

There is currently a massive power struggle going on at the moment a culture war if you will a lot of churches are crumbling under the pressure some are being too liberal and becoming a mockery to christians and some are remaining orthodox and are being portrayed as harsh but there is a culture war going on between secularism and religion (all religion) at the moment, its why we have mad as heck muslims and so called facist christians and a disdane towards religion by secular athiests. homosexuality is a tool that is being used in this power struggle to demonise Christianity, terrorism is a tool used to demonise Islam

This case obviously to me left the church in a sticky predicament, 1st off knowing the person was gay they agreed to the funeral, this showes that the problem was not with the person or the fact he was attracted to members of the same sex the problem arose when they had to almost if you will condone the sexual act by acknowledging the mans lover. Now the church has already agreed to do the funeral which is fine regarding Christianity but to almost condone the act from the pulpit would be to go against the bible and discredit itself amongst its faithful, now the family could have said ok dont mention his lover but they didnt why not? so the church had no option but to cancel and now this has been used by the secularist media to discredit christians.

One has to remember a church is there to serve God
|

Especially eHealthy
Okay guest, so apart from all of that drivel:

DO you think it was right for this church to deny the man his funeral?
|

"Okay guest, so apart from all of that drivel:

DO you think it was right for this church to deny the man his funeral?"

drivel, its not drivel.

Its not about right or wrong, the church had no option but to do what it did, they could not condone the act and the family never offered to move on the obituary and video etc...what could they do?

go along with the family or the teachings of Christianity

I believe they made the only thing they could and they even helpped them find other arrangements and put food on for the family.

was it right to deny the man his funeral......no

would it have been right condone the homosexual act............no

If then the family were unwilling to change, who do they please the family and disrepect God....no

they made the correct deciosion not the right one (there was no right one)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Gu£st wrote:
"Okay guest, so apart from all of that drivel:

DO you think it was right for this church to deny the man his funeral?"

drivel, its not drivel.

Its not about right or wrong, the church had no option but to do what it did, they could not condone the act and the family never offered to move on the obituary and video etc...what could they do?

go along with the family or the teachings of Christianity

I believe they made the only thing they could and they even helpped them find other arrangements and put food on for the family.

was it right to deny the man his funeral......no

would it have been right condone the homosexual act............no

If then the family were unwilling to change, who do they please the family and disrepect God....no

they made the correct deciosion not the right one (there was no right one)

No, you got this one wrong.

The family wasn't unwilling to change, they were unwilling to hold his funeral at a community center.

The church claims love, but they don't care about who this man loved; they cared about where he stuck his penis.

Quite honestly, this guy might be better off. I would not want a service for me to be held in such a church anyways. I feel bad for the family though; not only did their lives go topsy tervy when he died, but then this god-awful church (pun intended) did this political move on them in the midst of their mourning.

What a bunch of quacks. The church needs stuck in hole where it belongs.
|

"The church claims love, but they don't care about who this man loved; they cared about where he stuck his penis. "

Birch, you are quite wrong - the church made the only choice it could given the situation
|