Medical Questions > Debate Forums > General Debate Forum

Women Equality, Double Standard?

If women want equality should they expect any special treatment because of a monthly condition? Should women have to sign up for the draft same as men? i mean it would make it an actual equal deal. I say they want equality then they should have to do the same thing men have to do, period.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I think you're missing an important issue.

Men and women are different. We are not the same, despite what feminists want to say.

I'm sorry, but some women have periods that do restrict their activities. As I see it, true gender equality is an acceptance of those differences. If you don't want to accept that once a month a woman bleeds from her vagina, then you are not truly promoting gender equality.

It basically seems to me you're trying to punish the woman for something she can't prevent, just in the name of "pure equality". I know that's probably not your intention, but it came across that way. Yes, women should get "special treatment", whatever you mean by that, once a month. When you bleed from your vagina, I'll give you special treatment.

As far as the draft, I thoroughly agree that women should have to be included.
|

Re: Eiri
Im not saying that women should be punished, but for the most part Men didnt petition for equality, why should a man have more work put on him, when his "equal" is on their period. i understand that it can restrict some women, and not saying that they shouldnt be able to get off work if it does, i am saying that they should have to do what they say, or are given to do the same as a man.
|

Especially eHealthy
Well, I'm sorry you don't understand how debilitating a period is... so you can't understand why a woman may not be able to work 100% while on her period.

Women had to petition for rights because we were being forced down by males.

Men and women are not identical. Women can do things men can't and vice versa. But being a true person is accepting your limits as well. Men can't have babies. Women get periods.

Saying "Well you wanted equality so tough it out!" is just plain arrogant. We don't want to be better than men. We simply want to be accepted as worthy, which we weren't for thousands of years.
|

Women get periods and men have to deal with them on it, trust me that is often punishment enough. but either way, if a woman has a desk job she should atleast try to make it most of the time, not to say all of the time, but a reasonable amount, and if a woman cant make it to work then she can find someone to cover for her. instead of the men taking the work.
i have seen plenty of places that either dont hire, or fire women cause they cant have someone calling in sick for a week once a month, smaller places dont have the room for a weeklong break, for any reason. realize im a small town kid, small town bussiness. i am looking at things as i have seen them, and that is women using their period as an excuse to get out of things, NOT saying all women do, but i have seen alot do it, and to be honest men lose sympathy about the millionth time someone pulls one on them, just the way it is.
|

Especially eHealthy
PsychMajor wrote:
Women get periods and men have to deal with them on it, trust me that is often punishment enough. but either way, if a woman has a desk job she should atleast try to make it most of the time, not to say all of the time, but a reasonable amount, and if a woman cant make it to work then she can find someone to cover for her. instead of the men taking the work.
i have seen plenty of places that either dont hire, or fire women cause they cant have someone calling in sick for a week once a month, smaller places dont have the room for a weeklong break, for any reason. realize im a small town kid, small town bussiness. i am looking at things as i have seen them, and that is women using their period as an excuse to get out of things, NOT saying all women do, but i have seen alot do it, and to be honest men lose sympathy about the millionth time someone pulls one on them, just the way it is.

Ugh, that's a sexist statement...
Of course a woman should try to make it to her job, and believe me, most women do their best to avoid all period symptoms because it seriously sucks to be sick every single month.

A week-long break? I don't know any woman that needs a week off with a normal period. A day, maybe. You've never had cramps so you just don't know. I have seen no woman do what you claim they do, perhaps I just don't hang out with dishonest, wimpy women.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Just because a woman is having pain you can't experience, you seem to think that her pain doesn't matter.

Should I have to cover a shift at work for someone's prostate exam? Or because of some sort of male health issue? Yes, I should. I am not a male and his condition isn't my problem, however, I have a job to do.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I don't expect special treatment due to my period. I don't really know if other women do.

If I am sick and unable to get out of bed due to my period (which has happened) then I call off as anyone else would and have to take a 'sick day'. I don't expect anything different; I don't say why I'm sick; I'm sick, I can't be productive, so I call off.

Should I have to come into work? I don't understand what you mean, psych major.
|

Especially eHealthy
I think he is saying yes, you should have to come in for work, because a period is only a female issue that men don't have, so in an "equal" world (where women are equal to men) a woman shouldn't have a period, or it shouldn't matter, or something.

But note that phrase... "a world where women are equal to men"... I don't know if anyone has noted this, but it seems as if society is trying to "raise up" women to the status of men, as if it were a sliding scale, and as if the male was the "ideal". I suddenly find this to be highly one-sided, has anyone else noticed that? "Make women as good as men". That's not what this should be about... We don't need to be "as good" as men... O.o
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
I have a question: If I have a desk job and leave early because of menstrual problems, why in the world would a victimized male have to get up from his desk and do my work?

Seems like someone is just pulling things out of their ass....
|

Extremely eHealthy
As far as I am concerned you can never expect men and women to be totally equal in their physical aspects. Women will always have to deal with certain things that men do not, and men will almost always be more physically capable in strenuous activities.

This is in no way should affect the rights each person has and their equality as a person. Women should not have to suffer because of cramps causing them serious pain. Until you have cramps so bad it feels like someone is stabbing you in the stomach I seriously doubt you can pass judgement on a woman for taking a sick day every once and awhile.
|

Experienced User
PsychMajor wrote:

some women really do have periods that are ridiculous and cannot help the fact that its THAT bad just like you can't help the times when you get sick. My friend was put on birth control to help her period because she would get so nauseated that she'd throw up and have migraines during that time of the month..it isn't her fault..and I for one dont take advantage of that time of month to get sympathy out of anyone...some men need to learn to be just alittle bit more understanding
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
Hmm
i think lots of the woman's responses are missing the general point here...

it's not that woman shouldn't be able to call off work. heck if im sick there is no way im going to go to work... but not woman, but feminists (man or woman) seem to often get confused with what true equality is. If Feminists were really for equality they wouldn't be saying Quotes like "Girl Power!" or "kick him in the balls!" they would be saying "people power!" and "if you kick him in the crotch he will kick you in the crotch!"

Do you realise how much sexual abuse or sexual harrasment would go up? how many more jails would fill up? Fact is woman can get away with WAY more than guys, and it's mainly because they are conciderred the more affectionate gender... but WHY? is it because they are less likely to cheat on their loved ones?

well here is a fact. FACT. a psychologist i know very well (Mr. Musgrove to be percise) explained to me that EXACTLY 50% of marriages that fail because of cheating... is men... the other 50% just so happens to be woman.

so truely things are pretty equal. woman just often get things handed to them and they wont get in as much trouble as any man in the same situation. Fact is woman have a lot of crap they have to deal with in their lives (such as periods and giving birth). there are goods and bads to both sides.

i just think it's ridiculous that woman would ever want equality. it is really awkward (in my opinion) to see men put into jail for things a woman could easily get away with (such as teachers hooking up with students, which is getting quite popular with female teachers these days). and its also awkward to know that if a woman hits a man (no matter what her size in comparison to the man) the man is told not to hit back, and if he was to he would most likely be punished by law. And thirdly it frustrates me that men are often sexually abused and woman (and men) find humor in it. but if a woman is sexually abused (even in a movie) it's conciderred an awful thing that can often lead to the movie being taken out of theaters. And dont say what would be funny about a girl getting hit in the crotch... because... what's funny about a guy getting hit in the crotch? the only difference is females have nearly twice as many nerve endings between their legs than guys... meaning it would hurt nearly twice as much... either way. its all awkward.

basically. WHY THE HECK WOULD A WOMAN WANT EQUALITY? if i was a woman there is NO FREAKIN WAY i would ask for equality.
|

User Profile
replied May 19th, 2008
Experienced User
OH...
I just realised this post is from forever ago... wish i could find a similar topic
|

User Profile
replied May 29th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: Women Equality, Double Standard?
PsychMajor wrote:
If women want equality should they expect any special treatment because of a monthly condition? Should women have to sign up for the draft same as men? i mean it would make it an actual equal deal. I say they want equality then they should have to do the same thing men have to do, period.

Does equality really exist?

Yes and no

It should actually be being reciprocol....

Why must men be dominant all the time what about woman?

Usually what happens is we make up for what the other lacks.

My problem woman scream equality dont want to back it up but neither do men, its like the only real people who actually live to the name are gay people. Men deem females weak therefore they act, woman deem men incompassionate because they wont show emotion.

Why are you !**@! when it is 50/50
You want they want to wear pant but you dont want to wear a dress. Woman want to work but are tied at home because daycare is just to expensive and well the other part wont stop working cause they deem it their right well what about the other side? Oh you can work but just something less not at the same capacity.

Woman are denied more rights than men, that is why they fight for them, to at least bring it to normal standard but then again how can you define normal?

Men can have sex all the time and be deemed cool, woman are called sluts.
-Men can go out at anytime(in a marriage with kids) but its is wrong for a woman
- woman dont want to work in certain jobs but men will because they need money to support their life
-some woman are overely dramatic and it drives me nuts

society views woman differently than what you and me think!!! Now if you were sick would you go to work?

For some woman the first day of their period can render them sick, I for example feel exhausted, I get a runny nose and feel like crap just like you probably would if you had a flu. I dont judge you for being sick but we get judged because some woman abuse it.

in the end we are all in the same boat.... and unless we start trying to change our views than it will always be the same

Instead of crying womans rights I have started saying I want to be a man, not a lesbian but I want to be viewed as a man within society!
|
Quick Reply