User Profile
So I have a few minutes.. Aydan and Lucas are in bed and Alfie is sleeping on the chair with daddy so I thought I get on and write our story! Smile

It all started on Tuesday, I had an appointment for a membrane sweep booked in the morning. We had to go to a hospital 20 miles away to get it done and instead of driving we took the train, (theres a supermarket right next to the station so the idea was to get shopping on the way home!).
On the train ride up to the hospital I started feeling alittle uncomfortable but just put it down to the bumpy ride. Got to the hospital for 11:30am and had the sweep done and booked my induction appt at the same time.
We sat in the grounds of the hosp and had some lunch and I was feeling really crampy but just put it down to having the sweep and tried to put it to the back of my mind!. Afterwards we went home got the shopping and picked up the boys from my mums.
By now it was around 5pm and the cramps were still coming I started to wonder... and thought maybe it was time to start timing.... this is where the confusion set in!!
My contractions were coming between every 10-15 mins and were lasting around a minute. They werent that regular so I put it down to just being practice labour. Chris put the boys to bed and I decided I'd had enough and went to relax in the bath. I was still getting Chris to time them and I guess because I was relaxed they started getting even more spaced out. Some were 5 mins and some were like 18! Although the longer I had to wait for one the more intense it was. When I got out Chris decided enough was enough and we called the hosp, the midwife said the contractions were too irractic and to call back if they started getting more regular. But they didnt they just stayed the same!! But to cut a long story short the pain became absolutly unbearable I couldnt stop crying so at 2:00am Chris called the hospital back. We were told if the pain was sooo bad we better go in. We got to the hosp at about 2:45am and I was shouting at everyone and ordering an epidural! Laughing The midwife said she wanted to examine me first and then she would let me know my pain relief options.
Well, she examined me and ran for the door and just started shouting..Chris was like what is going on... (Basically I have GBS so I knew I would need antibotics at some point during the labour) Anyways the midwife was screaming saying she needed antibiotics now because I was already 9cms dilated Shocked, Guess I stayed at home alittle too long Laughing

After that I just became hysterical I wanted something just to take the pain away but there wasnt anything just Gas and air. I spent the whole time screaming shouting and crying (a perfect patient!). By about 4am I felt the need to push and the midwife said it was ok just do what felt natural. The only problem was I had the tiniest piece of cervix that was still stopping Alfie to make his way and for some reason it didnt want to budge!! My waters were still intact so they thought breaking them might help. Apprently I had the most toughest membranes they had ever seen and after much prodding they finally broke and came out like a tidal wave!!!!
Nothing changed till I was completly dilated and that was 6:15 after a good few pushes out came Alfie at 6:37am on the 08/08/07 weighing 8lbs 8ozs..guess what his lucky number is! Smile

I am the most happiest mummy in the world and he is the most beautiful baby. Aydan and Lucas love him and have took to him really well. Neither want to stop cuddling him. I am breast feeding and he is a natural at it. He is a brilliant sleeper during the day and typically up all night!! I am soooo exhausted but i'm too in love to care!! wow guess I better leave it... sorry it ended up so long! Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Jolie_3110
|

replied August 10th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
yay!!!!!!! im so happy for you!!!! im glad he is breastfeeding well too!

good luck and i hope you get some good rest!
|

Experienced User
I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Glad to hear things went good for you. No complecations. Get some rest, and can't wait to see pics!
|

Most Diplomatic Poster
oh my gosh jo, your story just made me cry. thinking of you being in all that pain and not able to get some relief! I almost feel like i was there with you. that must have been so hard. but after all that suffering you get this little angel and you almost (almost! lol) forget all that pain and crying and feeling like you are being ripped in half! but you got through it! good for you!! i'm feeling the same way right now with my little girl. that over the top in love feeling that nothing can take away, even days of sleeplessness. i'm soo happy for you and your family and your little alfie. i'll go ahead and say "get some rest" but i know how hard it is right now, lol. but, get some rest Smile and take care. and congratulations!!!
|

Especially eHealthy
omg! i can't believe you were a 9 when you got there! that is so crazy!

congrats again! i can't wait to see pictures!!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Oh my gosh! It sound like you had a really painful time. But I hope I can spend most of the labour at home but I am not too good with pain. Congrats to you! Can't wait to see some pics of your handsome young man!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Congrats too you ....all that pain we go through is certainly well worth it once we see there faces and get too hold them for the first time ....can't wait too see pics Very Happy
|

User Profile
replied August 11th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
congrats! i love the baby's name alfie, so cute!
|
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...